• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's discuss Bryce Young's debut

GOAT

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Sorry, I missed those. I watched every offensive possession bar two in the third, and the intermediate throws he missed were to WRs with a CB and/or S draped all over them. 

I think you're trying to attribute too much blame to the wrong place, but I'm not able to convince you of that, so you're free to see it that way.

Go back and watch. He threw behind and over threw multiple times. I was flabbergasted. A couple I get but it probably happened 6-7 times at least.

It's game 1, I am not jumping off a cliff but I am genuinely a little concerned. 

If he didn't get rattled by that game, I sure as fug did.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Go back and watch. He threw behind and over threw multiple times. I was flabbergasted. A couple I get but it probably happened 6-7 times at least.

It's game 1, I am not jumping off a cliff but I am genuinely a little concerned. 

If he didn't get rattled by that game, I sure as fug did.

Meh, it's one game and he knows it's one game. I'm not rattled by it at all because I know there will be others like this, and the all-22 is likely to display the lack of open WRs on a LOT of balls thrown away. Every QB is gonna miss some throws every game, unless each pass is into the flat like Ridder's were.

• Beer 1

I genuinely think Reich told him pregame, "Go out there and sling it, and we can clean up whatever we did wrong," which would explain his first NFL pass into a DAMN tight window to Hurst, for 12 yards, as well as the throw Bates picked off on the next possession.

You can have great skills like that, and being a rookie, you're still gonna get picked. He learned afterward and didn't target those areas, but then people got mad at him for not taking the shots that made them mad in the first place.

Yeah, maybe my expectations were just too high for Game 1. It was bad. I just never in a million years expected it to be that bad. 

He is a super, super intelligent kid. I hope he takes it personally and rectifies all that next week.

Meh, it's one game and he knows it's one game. I'm not rattled by it at all because I know there will be others like this, and the all-22 is likely to display the lack of open WRs on a LOT of balls thrown away. Every QB is gonna miss some throws every game, unless each pass is into the flat like Ridder's were.

I just want us to get it together more for Game 2. That was a tough watch.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, maybe my expectations were just too high for Game 1. It was bad. I just never in a million years expected it to be that bad. 

He is a super, super intelligent kid. I hope he takes it personally and rectifies all that next week.

I really, really didn't think it was that bad at all (and I hate Alabama, plus Stroud was my No. 1).

I think Bryce is immensely likable and his teammates love him (his OL busted their ass for him today).

All that aside, he threw a couple bad picks that most rookies throw, and he's gonna throw more, because he doesn't have any weapons who can get open for him and break free for good yardage. Sometimes he's gonna miss throws. And on many occasions, he's gonna find guys for touchdowns.

It's one game out of a bunch and he got out of there healthy. I expected a pretty solid beatdown today and for it to have even been as close as it was for as long as it was speaks to how hard the defense played for a while.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Bryce didn't play bad.  Most rookies look terrible in their first game.  I'm not really concerned about him.  It's almost everything else that's concerning to me.

I gotta be honest, outside the run defense at times and obviously the pass catchers, the team looked pretty decent. 

QB was the worst, receivers were #2 and that run defense was a close third.

• Pie 1

I think people are going to attach too much blame to the QB throwing to JAGs, because he was the top pick and needs to be the savior. But without adequate weapons, he's gonna struggle, and because he's a rookie, he's gonna struggle on top of that. Take away good targets, and you don't get a lot of success.

Ask Pat Mahomes after Thursday night.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He over threw and threw behind on multiple occasions. That was a real stunner. 

He is the rookie I expect to have the least issues with that.

Like I said. I couldn't have possibly have been more of a Young supporter but JFC he did not look good. I mean, at all.

I am literally shocked about the performance. 

I can't say I'm shocked because he looked like this in the preseason. I was just really hoping that scheming was going to help. It didn't. Let's just hope he, the staff, and the whole team improve throughout the season. Because we basically lost to a team that was practically playing without a QB given their play calling that was clearly primarily about not letting Ridder lose them the game.

• Beer 1

I really, really didn't think it was that bad at all (and I hate Alabama, plus Stroud was my No. 1).

I think Bryce is immensely likable and his teammates love him (his OL busted their ass for him today).

All that aside, he threw a couple bad picks that most rookies throw, and he's gonna throw more, because he doesn't have any weapons who can get open for him and break free for good yardage. Sometimes he's gonna miss throws. And on many occasions, he's gonna find guys for touchdowns.

It's one game out of a bunch and he got out of there healthy. I expected a pretty solid beatdown today and for it to have even been as close as it was for as long as it was speaks to how hard the defense played for a while.

Yeah, I didn't expect him to light it up maybe but maybe my expectations were too high. We will see. I just hope we don't see many more of those this season.