• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good showing from Zavala in first NFL Game

Memphis

3 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I think Corbett has played RG almost his entire career. I’d switch the rookie. I don’t get switching him after this year. If the plan is LG of the future just put him there and deal with it. We aren’t winning squadoosh this year with our offensive weapons so just pull the bandaid off. Also, LG is supposedly the easiest OL spot to learn.

Corbett is a seasoned vet, I'm sure he could make the switch to LG and likely has at minimum practiced there over the years of his career at times as well.

But moving Zavala could have a cascading affect that affects him and Ickey.  Moving the rookie is the least ideal situation that I think you only make this season if Corbett significantly struggles at LG

4 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Corbett is a seasoned vet, I'm sure he could make the switch to LG and likely has at minimum practiced there over the years of his career at times as well.

But moving Zavala could have a cascading affect that affects him and Ickey.  Moving the rookie is the least ideal situation that I think you only make this season if Corbett significantly struggles at LG

Corbett hasn’t played LG and was our starting RG. Zavala only played LG at NC State. Keeping Zavala at RG to avoid a cascading effect when you plan for him to be LG in 2024 makes no sense.

Remember all the let’s put Iky at G so he gets it and move him to LT after his rookie year? Why? You want him at LT, start him day 1 like we did and now he’s got a year under his belt.

Get the OL where it should be as soon as Corbett is healthy. That’s the smartest choice and IMHO avoid the cascading affect of playing two guys out of position and then swapping them back next year. 

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 2

35 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Corbett hasn’t played LG and was our starting RG. Zavala only played LG at NC State. Keeping Zavala at RG to avoid a cascading effect when you plan for him to be LG in 2024 makes no sense.

Remember all the let’s put Iky at G so he gets it and move him to LT after his rookie year? Why? You want him at LT, start him day 1 like we did and now he’s got a year under his belt.

Get the OL where it should be as soon as Corbett is healthy. That’s the smartest choice and IMHO avoid the cascading affect of playing two guys out of position and then swapping them back next year. 

Bryce Young.

Bryce Young is the reason I don't like the idea of throwing a rookie who missed most of camp into a new position for him at this level, mid season, when Ickey admittedly struggled in the pre-season.

The unfortunate truth is that for at least the next few years, keeping Bryce upright and healthy is the most important thing this team can do and every OL decision should be based around that and nothing else.

Yes, I agree, the future best version of this OL is Ickey-Zavala-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton, but I don't think that's the best OL right now to keep Bryce upright, particularly when that would mean making a rookie who missed most of camp and the time he did get was at RG move mid-season to the other side.

Having that be the left side of your line is a scary proposition with a rookie QB the size of Bryce.  If Zavala is still playing well and BC isn't poo'ing the bed when Corbett is healthy, I'd rather have Corbett be the backup than shift Zavala mid-season, it scares me that much.

Edited by tukafan21

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Bryce Young.

Bryce Young is the reason I don't like the idea of throwing a rookie who missed most of camp into a new position for him at this level, mid season, when Ickey admittedly struggled in the pre-season.

The unfortunate truth is that for at least the next few years, keeping Bryce upright and healthy is the most important thing this team can do and every OL decision should be based around that and nothing else.

Yes, I agree, the future best version of this OL is Ickey-Zavala-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton, but I don't think that's the best OL right now to keep Bryce upright, particularly when that would mean making a rookie who missed most of camp and the time he did get was at RG move mid-season to the other side.

Having that be the left side of your line is a scary proposition with a rookie QB the size of Bryce.  If Zavala is still playing well and BC isn't poo'ing the bed when Corbett is healthy, I'd rather have Corbett be the backup than shift Zavala mid-season, it scares me that much.

SMH. I don’t get when people have to argue endlessly just to argue. You want to protect Bryce Yound so you’d rather keep someone at RG who was always a LG and put Corbett at LG when all he’s played is RG? Now you want Corbett, who was one of our best last year,  backing up BC (our worst 2022 OL) and a rookie.

It’s Ok to agree with me that Zavala could be a nice upgrade over BC at LG, his natural spot, and it’s good for Bryce to have a solid vet back at his normal RG position. That’s especially true since we are told this is a rebuild year and you yourself said that OL is likely our future plan.

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

SMH. I don’t get when people have to argue endlessly just to argue. You want to protect Bryce Yound so you’d rather keep someone at RG who was always a LG and put Corbett at LG when all he’s played is RG? Now you want Corbett, who was one of our best last year,  backing up BC (our worst 2022 OL) and a rookie.

It’s Ok to agree with me that Zavala could be a nice upgrade over BC at LG, his natural spot, and it’s good for Bryce to have a solid vet back at his normal RG position. That’s especially true since we are told this is a rebuild year and you yourself said that OL is likely our future plan.

That really does come off as absurd when you state it like that 😂

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

I just think you're underestimating how difficult it could be for a rookie who has only played RG in camp and the season to make the switch to the other side mid-season, even if it's their natural side and college position.

The whole point of this discussion is what you do if Zavala is playing so well that he can't move to being a backup when Corbett is healthy.  We're not talking about a first round OG who was always destined to start, just depended on the side, he was a 3rd round pick with some upside, I don't think you mess with it if it's going that well.

13 hours ago, csx said:

He's on a very promising trajectory. That he just stepped in and became a starter after almost no camp is impressive. 

That’s why I was so pissed at taking a LS over Trey Smith and happy with Mays and Zavala. Taking 1-2 OL (maybe also DT/NT too) late every draft seems like a smart idea every year. Sometimes it’s hard to evaluate OL because it’s way more of a “team” sport at OL than say a WR or edge rusher or RB. If the guy next to me misses a block, I might not look as good.

Our OL got so bad because of Hurney. Not only did we lose Kalil, Williams, Turner and Norwell under his watch, he also drafted Greg Little and Daley in 3 drafts. That’s it. We lost the entire interior OL that was together from 2014-2017 and he drafted a shitty LT and a shitty G/T. 2 crappy OL to replace losing basically our entire starting OL. Of course over those same 3 drafts, we got 5 LB/RBs and only 1 of them is still a backup on the team.

We made a mistake with Brown/LS over Smith but at least we’ve drafted 5 OL in the last 3 drafts. You have to keep doing that every year. 

Zavala looked good, but then again so did Christensen.  I read somewhere that he had one of his best games, and he's still only a third year player so it's not like we're in a rush to groom a replacement for him.  Albeit he's older than your typical third-year player, but still only 26 so plenty of career left as an o-lineman.  So I'd consider this a fluid situation - once Corbett comes back from injury, I'm not necessarily going to force a big shuffle on the o-line if it continues to look as good as it did in Week 1.  If BC is playing well at LG, then why risk moving Zavala to LG and slotting Corbett back in at RG when you can opt for just the latter and keep most of the solid o-line intact?

Regardless, it's a good problem to have and Zavala is looking like potentially a steal.

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Zavala looked good, but then again so did Christensen.  I read somewhere that he had one of his best games, and he's still only a third year player so it's not like we're in a rush to groom a replacement for him.  Albeit he's older than your typical third-year player, but still only 26 so plenty of career left as an o-lineman.  So I'd consider this a fluid situation - once Corbett comes back from injury, I'm not necessarily going to force a big shuffle on the o-line if it continues to look as good as it did in Week 1.  If BC is playing well at LG, then why risk moving Zavala to LG and slotting Corbett back in at RG when you can opt for just the latter and keep most of the solid o-line intact?

Regardless, it's a good problem to have and Zavala is looking like potentially a steal.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-place-brady-christensen-on-injured-reserve

23 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Bryce Young.

Pretty much every OL guru will tell you that left guard is easier to learn than right guard. It's generally considered the easiest position to play on the line.

Factor in also that it's the spot he played in college.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3