• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School: Bryce Young - Week 1 @ Falcons

TheCasillas

3 minutes ago, parker said:

Thanks for reminding me Cam had Shockey too.  Smith, Olsen and Shockey.  Yeah, that's close to the receiving core Young has.

This receiving corps is not nearly as bad as people are framing it to be.  What I saw most of the game week 1, as well as the preseason was a lot of shitty, lazy concepts too.  I thought we were gonna get a lot of motion and creativity to free guys up off route combos versus route running, and nope...  it looked like a lot of the same poo we had under Rhule.  Now, this isn't Smitty, Olsen, Shockey, but it's not the burning trash heap that people are trying to make it out to be.  There were a lot of plays to be had even with the shitty play design and calling, and Bryce still didn't hit the right guys enough.  Period.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Watch JT's breakdown. He's open a lot.

That is just 15 plays. I watched it again and this was what I saw.

Play 1: Open

Play 2: Open

Play 3: Debatable. Gets open on the QB scramble. Would have been a tough throw to hit. Bryce made the better choice going where he did.

Play 4: Not open

Play 5: Open but he is gonna get obliterated for virtually no gain. Hospital ball if he throws it.

Play 6: Not in the play.

Play 7: Not in the play.

Play 8: Not open.

Play 9: Not open.

Play 10: Not open.

Play 11: Open but this should have been a TD to the guy he throws it to. Bryce made the right read.

Play 12: Not open.

Play 13: Not open.

Play 14: Not open when Bryce throws. 

Play 15: Open and catch.

Edited by kungfoodude

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If that is your logic, why would anyone trust McCown to be a QB coach? He didn't do poo in the NFL.

I guess we should have Brett Favre instead?

Really?

17 games vs 102

145 attempts vs 2633

Career PS and Backup vs Legit NFL Starter (albeit not a great one)

8 years in and out of the league vs 18 years in the leage

Retired HS coach vs an NFL coach

Yeah I totally see how thats a solid comparison

/s

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well he is barely an NFL player, TBQH.

He is a bust, plain and simple.

He has studied more film professionally than any person on this site. Bust or not, he has LOTS of experience watching and studying film. Far more than almost anything else you will find youtube.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like his breakdowns but he definitely carries a lot of bias. If it was a QB he already had a negative opinion about he would've skewered him for throwing late across the middle and just absolutely trashed him for making the same mistake twice in one game leading to INTs both times. Not to mention bashing him for missing Thielen wide open multiple times. That's still baffling to me. Thielen was getting wide open often, Bryce wasn't throwing him the ball, and JT bashes Thielen for this? Wild.

It wasnt the same mistake twice though. Was it the same route? Yes. Was it basically the same position on the field? Yes. But completely, entirely different circumstances. Both were mistakes, but they weren't the same mistake twice, unless you just mean "threw an int" broadly.

2 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

It wasnt the same mistake twice though. Was it the same route? Yes. Was it basically the same position on the field? Yes. But completely, entirely different circumstances. Both were mistakes, but they weren't the same mistake twice, unless you just mean "threw an int" broadly.

Both were late throws across the middle with a safety lurking. Exact same? No. Extremely similar? Absolutely.

10 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Really?

17 games vs 102

145 attempts vs 2633

Career PS and Backup vs Legit NFL Starter (albeit not a great one)

8 years in and out of the league vs 18 years in the leage

Retired HS coach vs an NFL coach

Yeah I totally see how thats a solid comparison

/s

76 starts in 15 seasons? 23-53 record? That's a legit starter?

The point being the assertion that you have to be an NFL HOFer to understand how to play QB is pretty stupid. Like, extremely stupid.

32 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

This dude played in as many games as Jaycee Horn and he is supposed to be some guru?

Lots of knowledgeable folks don't have the physical ability to do. How many great coaches were great players? Hell, Bill Belichick will tell anyone that will listen that lacrosse is his true passion.

I do respect the long-term backup QBs. You gotta prepare every week as if you're the starter because on any given play you might be the starter, but the vast majority of the time You're not going to play. It takes a pretty high level of dedication to do that week in and week out for years.

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

76 starts in 15 seasons? 23-53 record? That's a legit starter?

The point being the assertion that you have to be an NFL HOFer to understand how to play QB is pretty stupid. Like, extremely stupid.

Anyone who gets 76 starts at QB in the NFL is legit.  Doesnt mean they are any better than average and definitely not HOF bound but you dont get that many shots if you dont have a minimum set of skills that say you deserve to be there.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Lots of knowledgeable folks don't have the physical ability to do. How many great coaches were great players? Hell, Bill Belichick will tell anyone that will listen that lacrosse is his true passion.

I do respect the long-term backup QBs. You gotta prepare every week as if you're the starter because on any given play you might be the starter, but the vast majority of the time You're not going to play. It takes a pretty high level of dedication to do that week in and week out for years.

Fair points re: lots of good to great coaches were not pro-bowlers.

This guy has gotten a fair amount of mentions 'round here as of late and I was just expecting someone with a more impressive CV than what I found when I looked.

But in the end he is just some jabroni with a web cam who gave up coaching high school and never coached in a major college program or the NFL and spent 8 years bouncing from practice squad to practice squad with one brief run as a backup and starter.

Tie that in with the clearly personal biases and I dont find him credible.

Edited by Cullenator

4 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Anyone who gets 76 starts at QB in the NFL is legit.  Doesnt mean they are any better than average and definitely not HOF bound but you dont get that many shots if you dont have a minimum set of skills that say you deserve to be there.

Fair points re: lots of good to great coaches were not pro-bowlers.

This guy has gotten a fair amount of mentions 'round here as of late and I was just expecting someone with a more impressive CV than what I found when I looked.

But in the end he is just some jabroni with a web cam who gave up coaching high school and never coached in a major college program or the NFL and spent 8 years bouncing from practice squad to practice squad with one brief run as a backup and starter.

Tie that in with the clearly personal biases and I dont find him credible.

I think he's credible. He's certainly spent a ton of time breaking down film with NFL coaches and sitting through QB room meetings in the NFL. I do think his biases are getting in the way though. I enjoy his breakdowns for the most part, this was just the worst one I've seen though to be fair I've probably only watched maybe 8-10 of his breakdowns so in all fairness he could potentially have a lot of bad ones.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think he's credible. He's certainly spent a ton of time breaking down film with NFL coaches and sitting through QB room meetings in the NFL. I do think his biases are getting in the way though. I enjoy his breakdowns for the most part, this was just the worst one I've seen though to be fair I've probably only watched maybe 8-10 of his breakdowns so in all fairness he could potentially have a lot of bad ones.

I don't understand why he would have a specific bias against Theilen. They have never been on the same team. 

Maybe he just doesn't like him as a player?