• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Jonathan Stewart!

Munkey

Frank and Moose were discussing today how the Patriots are great at trading veterans for draft picks. They solve their weaknesses by drafting lots of players and playing the odds. One of them said trade Steve Smith but that just doesn't make sense given the chemistry between him and Newton.

Now that our defense is so bad and our Offense is great it may be time to consider it again.

Even if we get a 3rd or 4th for Stewart we may need to consider it. Could we even get a 2nd??

HOWEVER given Hurney's inability to find talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds maybe not.

The Patriots have actually been pretty crappy with drafting good players in recent years. They stockpile picks, but they're usually not high enough picks or the players they're choosing don't pan out at all. I think they were talking about this on some radio show the other day. About how 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks are extremely overrated. Once in a lifetime you may get a Brady, but for the most part those guys are out of the league in a year or two. It's only the 1st round picks and 2nd round picks that really improve your franchise for the most part.

The Patriots have actually been pretty crappy with drafting good players in recent years. They stockpile picks, but they're usually not high enough picks or the players they're choosing don't pan out at all. I think they were talking about this on some radio show the other day. About how 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks are extremely overrated. Once in a lifetime you may get a Brady, but for the most part those guys are out of the league in a year or two. It's only the 1st round picks and 2nd round picks that really improve your franchise for the most part.

over the last decade, NE has been one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL. At best in recent years they might have climbed into being average at it.

The reason why the patriots are good is because of that offense they have.

The good players on that team are all mostly picks they never received anything for.

well except for Tom Brady.

Most people suck the patriots nuts on the draft because they are the patriots.

all these second, and third round players they have havent really amounted to too much. They just have the best QB in the league right now and the best coach. Their defense which is stacked with 2nd and 3rd round players are still garbage.

I was thinking middle round picks, 3rd 4th and 5th. I think they have found good value while we have not recently. 7th is a crap-shoot although they also picked up cassel.

Frank and Moose were discussing today how the Patriots are great at trading veterans for draft picks. They solve their weaknesses by drafting lots of players and playing the odds. One of them said trade Steve Smith but that just doesn't make sense given the chemistry between him and Newton.

Now that our defense is so bad and our Offense is great it may be time to consider it again.

Even if we get a 3rd or 4th for Stewart we may need to consider it. Could we even get a 2nd??

HOWEVER given Hurney's inability to find talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds maybe not.

Am I in a time warp? I would swear the trade deadline had passed.

I'm running through the Patriots current roster and for a team that has won consistently over the past decade they have their fair share of guys starting who they drafted in the first round or second round:

Offense:

Nate Soldier T (Rookie)

Logan Mankins G

Matt Light T

Shane Vereen FB

Defense

Devin McCourty CB

Vince Wilfork DT

Brandon Spikes LB

Patrick Chung SS

Can't trade now, but if Detroit had offered good picks a few days ago, we should have taken it. Once again, we let a great player and highly paid player ride the bench and walk into the sunset with nothing to show. Hey, it is our way.

Can't trade now, but if Detroit had offered good picks a few days ago, we should have taken it. Once again, we let a great player and highly paid player ride the bench and walk into the sunset with nothing to show. Hey, it is our way.

That was the point on the radio show. Maybe we should start letting some guys walk when they have 3 years left in their career.

Archived