• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What has Scott Fitterer done right?

hepcat

2 hours ago, Martin said:

We have 100 threads about what he’s done wrong, so adding yet another list in a thread trying talking about some of the bright spots is odd. 

I think it was more of a backhanded criticism thread. And there aren’t many  bright spots associated with anyone who’s been in charge of this team for the previous 5 seasons. That includes Fitterer’s poo sandwich general management. 

• Pie 1

Since no one has attempted to identify what Fitterer has done right after 9 pages, I'll throw a couple of things out there.  

1. The draft picks from 2021 and 2022 were "developed" with sub-par coaching.  No draftee is a completed work but a work in process.  Let's see what a better set of coaches can mold with this clay.

2. Way too early to judge 2023 draftees.  3 are already starting and the other 2 may develop into something.

3. He is drafting studs in the first round.  We've seen what Horn and Icky can do and Young was the consensus best QB out there.  Blaming Fitterer for Horn's injuries is lame - he was never hurt in college.

4. Free agency - He has been hamstrung with huge dead cap hits since he got here.  54m in 2021 (3rd highest), 52m in 2022 (7th highest), and 55m in 2023 (5th highest).  Hard to make a lot of splash signings with 30% of the cap not available.

While he has had a few stinkers (elf and erving), he has signed some solid players that have played well: Luvu, Abdullah, Reddick, Foreman, Corbett, Woods, Hekker, Bozeman, Ionidas.  Jury is out on this year's crop but everyone seemed to like Bell, Tuttle, Dalton, Sanders, Hurst, Williams, Thielen, Chark, Grugier-Hill, Rowe, Byrd, and extending Bozeman.  Maybe we should wait for more than 1 game before declaring the 2023 free agent class a disaster.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) I think he significantly upgraded the coaching staff around here.  He'll live and die with how successful they are.

5. Trades - obviously a mixed bag here.  He got good value for CMC.  He also got a 7th for Little, and 6th for Bridgewater, a 5th for Daley, and 6th and 7th for Anderson, 7th for Gonzalez - all players that most on here were just wanting to cut.  Gilmore for a 6th and Mayfield for a 5th were good dice rolls.  Jury is out on Shenault and Smith-Marsette trades.  Darnold and Corral were bad values, but I suspect Mr. Scot is right that these moves were probably driven by Rhule.

6. Finally the trade that wasn't.  Trading your best defensive player for a couple of future firsts that looked to be in the 20's did not seem like good value to Fitt.  I wanted him to pull the trigger, but I certainly understand why he didn't.  I'm ok with a fair contract - a bird in the hand etc...

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is your other tactic, suggesting that the people who say something other than what you believe are just parroting the team narrative, etc.

There have been plenty of times where what I thought happened turned out not to be what happened. No I could have stubbornly (and stupidly) said "nuh uh, I was still right anyway" but that'd be kind of silly.

The bottom line is you believe what you want to believe, facts be damned. You can accuse others of doing it all you want, but in reality that's just to make it easier to justify doing it yourself.

Tepper (and his wife) are the only owners in modern times that attended a qb pro day.  Now you are going to try and tell me with a straight face that they were not involved in any decision making?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

We could have used that draft ammunition this year and next.  Would we have to trade up next year for a QB if we went the weapons route instead drafting Bryce?  Sure, but the loss of future draft stock would have been in 2025 and beyond when the team would be more complete.  I totally get why we were impatient and went QB this draft, losing sucks especially amid roster uncertainty, but I honestly feel we jumped the gun by a season.

I concur, hope it works out in our favor.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Tepper (and his wife) are the only owners in modern times that attended a qb pro day.  Now you are going to try and tell me with a straight face that they were not involved in any decision making?

Watching a pro day doesn't equal telling your people who to draft.

Hell, if I were an owner, I'd go to The Combine , pro days or anything I could. But I'd also be smart enough to know I'm not a professional scout.

(Tepper has said that too)

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Watching a pro day doesn't equal telling your people who to draft.

Hell, if I were an owner, I'd go to The Combine , pro days or anything I could. But I'd also be smart enough to know I'm not a professional scout.

(Tepper has said that too)

Now you are reaching........

and being compared to Synder is not a good look

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/26/mcshay-recalls-when-commanders-owner-daniel-snyder-attended-a-pro-day-robert-griffin-iii-nfl-draft/

so again if you truly think the teppers are not involved in decision making then I have a bridge I want to sell you

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/26/mcshay-recalls-when-commanders-owner-daniel-snyder-attended-a-pro-day-robert-griffin-iii-nfl-draft/

so again if you truly think the teppers are not involved in decision making then I have a bridge I want to sell you

What kind of bridge??

Asking for a friend...

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Funny you should bring up the Commanders.

Remember after his firing, Jay Gruden told the story about how Daniel Snyder would essentially tell them with the draft picks were?

Tepper has fired two coaches and one GM. The team has also parted ways with a high level executive in Pat Stewart.

Has any one of them come out and made similar accusations about Tepper?

Hell, even inveterate excuse maker Matt Rhule hasn't suggested anything like that.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Funny you should bring up the Commanders.

Remember after his firing, Jay Gruden told the story about how Daniel Snyder would essentially tell them with the draft picks were.

Tepper has fired two coaches and one GM. The team has also parted ways with a high level executive in Pat Stewart.

Has any one of them come out and made similar accusations about Tepper?

Hell, even inveterate excuse maker Matt Rhule hasn't suggested anything like that.

as a matter of fact yes, ron was told to go 3-4 by tepper in his last year

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

as a matter of fact yes, ron was told to go 3-4 by tepper in his last year

Yeah, that's weak 😄

It's also false given that even per Rivera's own account, Tepper just made a comment like "maybe you could try going 3-4".

He didn't dictate that they switch. And as we all remember by watching, Riviera didn't really switch anyway.

If you want to go from that to saying "he told us who to draft", yeah sure 😁

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, that's weak 😄

It's also false given that even per Rivera's own account, Tepper just made a comment like "maybe you could try going 3-4".

He didn't dictate that they switch. And as we all remember by watching, Riviera didn't really switch anyway.

If you want to go from that to saying "he told us who to draft", yeah sure 😁

you asked a question I gave an answer but thats not good enough for you.   You obviously are insanely attached to this issue so your mind is not going to change no matter who shows you anything. 

thats cool

Edited by mrcompletely11

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

you asked a question I gave an answer but thats not good enough for you.

thats cool

That's because the answer was dumb 😆

Also find it pretty funny that you're trying to argue Scott Fitterer is a bad GM while also suggesting that it's David Tepper making the picks. If Tepper makes the picks, what does it matter who's the GM?