• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

28 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Please watch other football games and see how open WRs are due to talent/skill. There hasn’t been a lot of places to go with the football. 

DJ Chark is a former probowl receiver, Theilen is old but a vet route runner. 

These guys didn't just forget how to play. 

Maybe it's the play design but something is not clicking. 

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, Varking said:

Let’s not do silly insults like “watch other football games”. I’d be willing to bet most folks who post here watch multiple games. There’s been places to go with the ball. You can’t just tell everyone who disagrees with you that they need to watch more football or watch more games. There are folks open enough and the trigger isn’t being pulled. 

The games are recorded. Shouldn’t be easy for you to illustrate the places the ball should be going. Educate me please. 

Just now, Pantherxtreme said:

DJ Chark is a former probowl receiver, Theilen is old but a vet route runner. 

These guys didn't just forget how to play. 

Maybe it's the play design but something is not clicking. 

Chark is dealing with an injury and Theilen is a possession guy, he’s not a game breaker. 

Just now, Mike in Raleigh said:

I have to agree with you. I guess everyone missed the announcers saying pretty much the same thing. Can't expect the guy to make chicken salad out of chicken s$!t.

Bryce is supposed to be the type of QB who throws people open. That’s what they said about him in camp I believe. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

There is no damn way you can watch the past 2 weeks and solely but youngs performance on wr not getting open. 

It’s a combination. He’s a rookie, and I’m not expecting him to be perfect. The offense should be helping him and it’s the reverse. But yes people being open would help a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

As you said, the games are recorded. Pull up the all 22 when it’s available and show me nobody open every play. 

Obviously it’s hyperbole on both ends. Of course there are plays where there are WRs open. But the fact of the matter is, our WRs are struggling to consistently create separation. And for the keyboard warriors like us who don’t play the game, we don’t know how much of that is to blame on their limitations, then not executing, and the play design/calling not scheming them open. It’s probably all of the above.

And on plays where you could find a WR open, on some of them, Bryce is at fault for not finding them. And on others, it’s on the offensive line for not giving Bryce the time to find them. And on others, Bryce finds the open WR but they drop the ball (e.g. Mingo on that slant last night). Its a collective team failure and I think it’s unfair to place all the blame on Bryce. Which is not the same as saying he’s blameless at all. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

My hot take, he's the 2023 Panthers version of Jimmy Clausen in 2010. This is a one to two win team at this juncture. The coaches need to figure the offense out because we only ran the ball 19 times in a very close game with a rookie QB which is ridiculous.

At this point, I'd rather have Wilks and his offensive staff back with Foreman so Bryce could throw 20 times a game and we run 40 or so. That would be the recipe to win with bottom third receivers and a top notch run blocking offensive line. Instead we are dropping Bryce back to pass 40 times and, as I'd said in preseason, if we do that we are going to lose.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CPcavedweller said:

My hot take, he's the 2023 Panthers version of Jimmy Clausen in 2010. This is a one to two win team at this juncture. The coaches need to figure the offense out because we only ran the ball 19 times in a very close game with a rookie QB which is ridiculous.

At this point, I'd rather have Wilks and his offensive staff back with Foreman so Bryce could throw 20 times a game and we run 40 or so. That would be the recipe to win with bottom third receivers and a top notch run blocking offensive line. Instead we are dropping Bryce back to pass 40 times and, as I'd said in preseason, if we do that we are going to lose.

If this team only wins 2 games (I still think we luck into 5ish wins) then Tepper really really needs to blowtorch the front office down to the coaching staff and throw whatever money at a guy like Ben johnson or someone comparable.   2-3 wins would be completely unacceptable and there isnt a reasonable fan that would be pissed if he fired everyone after that

1 minute ago, woahfraze said:

Obviously it’s hyperbole on both ends. Of course there are plays where there are WRs open. But the fact of the matter is, our WRs are struggling to consistently create separation. And for the keyboard warriors like us who don’t play the game, we don’t know how much of that is to blame on their limitations, then not executing, and the play design/calling not scheming them open. It’s probably all of the above.

And on plays where you could find a WR open, on some of them, Bryce is at fault for not finding them. And on others, it’s on the offensive line for not giving Bryce the time to find them. And on others, Bryce finds the open WR but they drop the ball (e.g. Mingo on that slant last night). Its a collective team failure and I think it’s unfair to place all the blame on Bryce. Which is not the same as saying he’s blameless at all. 

Sometimes you just have to throw receivers open and give them a chance to make a play. 

Olave wasn't open on that play when he made that acrobatic catch, but Carr threw it up and gave him a chance. 

That's what I'm looking to see. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If this team only wins 2 games (I still think we luck into 5ish wins) then Tepper really really needs to blowtorch the front office down to the coaching staff and throw whatever money at a guy like Ben johnson or someone comparable.   2-3 wins would be completely unacceptable and there isnt a reasonable fan that would be pissed if he fired everyone after that

Looking through the schedule, I just don't see it. Absent a complete philosophical flip on offense, we aren't going to win. You don't win with a rookie QB throwing 30 to 40 times a game. Hell, we didn't win with Darnold doing that.

We only started winning when we started to run, and run, and run so we could play action. We have the same issue the Cardinals have and that is a short QB, unfamiliar with being under center, who won't be able to run 50 to 60% of plays from there. It provides infinitely more versatility than running out of the shotgun and takes pressure off of the line, tight ends, and receivers. 

Reich needs to evaluate what made this group successful last year and try to implement some of what Wilks had done.

At this point, Wilks is the best head Coach the Panthers have had under Tepper. I think he would be a better Head Coach than Reich. Wilks could've easily brought in Thomas Brown, Ejiro Evero, et. AL. himself and could have been the delegator we need. We saw what Reich was with the Colts. 

Reich is a good man, but man am I angry that Tepper didn't retain Wilks after the miracle he performed last year.

• Pie 2