• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s talk Brian Burns (trade)

ncfan

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

Y’all tell me how the play works out in Madden.  Burns isn’t going to get traded unless something crazy happens.  Burns is going to get paid and many of y’all are going to flip out regardless.

Last year’s Rams turn down tells you all you need to know about how the Panthers value Burns.  While the future isn’t guaranteed, especially in football, I don’t see the Panthers trading Brian Burns unless some drastic stuff happens.

Define drastic stuff

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

11 minutes ago, ncfan said:

So a non foundation piece avg edge rusher that’s seeking to be paid top 3 at his position is going to net a boat load of picks.

and this isn’t like the CMC deal where your trading a guy on a big contract.  That situation, the team trading him has to eat the money.  The team trading for him will be the ones handcuffing themselves down to his new deal.

A 1st and some change would be expected, it's on the person in charge to get the best deal from there. A top 10 rusher still gets paid, just not that sexy Bosa money. Let him seek a trade and whatever best deal they can find is what he will be paid. You are being obtuse intentionally. It's going to be less for him and the team unless the team caves. The Panthers could also take a player to eat some of the trading teams dead cap. 

It's difficult to talk options and possibilities when the people in charges would just waste anything done. I couldn't talk serious team building with any of the decision makers in place now so having draft capital and new people would be the best options moving forward next year. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Its been a rebuilding year since 2020,  the front office just sucks ass at doing it

My point being that Burns should be shipped off if the package is right.  He played yesterday and we got 37 points put on us.  Yes, we are banged up defensively, but if that man wants to get paid top 5 pass rusher money, dude needs to be a force every game, every down--not just showing up periodically.

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

A 1st and some change would be expected, it's on the person in charge to get the best deal from there. A top 10 rusher still gets paid, just not that sexy Bosa money. Let him seek a trade and whatever best deal they can find is what he will be paid. You are being obtuse intentionally. It's going to be less for him and the team unless the team caves. The Panthers could also take a player to eat some of the trading teams dead cap. 

It's difficult to talk options and possibilities when the people in charges would just waste anything done. I couldn't talk serious team building with any of the decision makers in place now so having draft capital and new people would be the best options moving forward next year. 

Not being obtuse.

Just speaking reality of the situation.

and this isn’t a NBA trade situation where you need matching salaries.  Burns will be a FA at years end.  So he will be dealt with the remaining portion of his rookie deal.  Or a tag and trade, which the team receiving him will still have to deal with the big elephant in the room of him wanting 30 mil.

We could take on a player of there’s with a big contract to help their cap situation.  But what sense is that if your just trading him for that late 1st rd pick primarily to help open cap by not paying him.

2 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

It's honestly simple. If we trade Burns for anything less than 2 1sts and a 2nd, clean house in the front office. No way you can turn that trade down and then trade him a way for peanuts a year later.

So you tag him at years end.  Then get forced into paying him around 29 mil a year.

Another wrinkle to add.  The market just got set by Bosa.   And that’s how we got to this.

Micah Parsons is Eligible for his extension this offseason.  And I’m sure whenever he signs, it’ll be further north of Bosa.  Resetting it once again.

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

So you tag him at years end.  Then get forced into paying him around 29 mil a year.

Another wrinkle to add.  The market just got set by Bosa.   And that’s how we got to this.

Micah Parsons is Eligible for his extension this offseason.  And I’m sure whenever he signs, it’ll be further north of Bosa.  Resetting it once again.

so what I am gathering here, is that fitt fuged up

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Definitely see what you can get.  A first plus some is what we should be seeking.  If we can't get that wait until this offseason and try a tag and trade.  Something similar to the Bradley Chubb deal who was also on the final year of his contract and was traded to Miami for a 1st, 4th, and RB in exchange for Chubb and a 5th.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34925836/sources-dolphins-trade-broncos-lb-bradley-chubb

Brown is the one we need to extend.  He should be cheaper and is a tough position to replace.  I also think he is more important to our defense.  

• Pie 2

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Definitely see what you can get.  A first plus some is what we should be seeking.  If we can't get that wait until this offseason and try a tag and trade.  Something similar to the Bradley Chubb deal who was also on the final year of his contract and was traded to Miami for a 1st, 4th, and RB in exchange for Chubb and a 5th.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34925836/sources-dolphins-trade-broncos-lb-bradley-chubb

Brown is the one we need to extend.  He should be cheaper and is a tough position to replace.  I also think he is more important to our defense.  

heres the issue nobody is mentioning, Fitt knows its a sure fire death sentence if he cannot even get close to what the rams are offering so he is going to ride this as long as possible.  Let him play out this year, tag him and that buys him 2 more years to figure something out.  I do wonder if we are sitting at 1-9, 2-10 something like that if Burns just doesnt pull the plug and not risk it

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Believe me when I say I don't want to keep him for the 28ish million he will probably get. Unfortunately when we turned down that Rams trade (for whatever dumb reason), we pretty much were stuck with giving Burns a blank check. This front office has to know that if they accept a trade for less than what the Rams offered, they should be seeing the pink slip the next day.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

so what I am gathering here, is that fitt fuged up

I mean 

possibly, probably.

The Rams package would’ve been great.  And one of those things that won’t come back around.  And 

2.  Paying him 23 mil range what Crosby makes back when teams were off peeing for him.  Is a lot better than paying him 29-30 or getting a late 1st rd pick for him.

so yes.  Yes Fitty fugged up.

• Pie 2

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

heres the issue nobody is mentioning, Fitt knows its a sure fire death sentence if he cannot even get close to what the rams are offering so he is going to ride this as long as possible.  Let him play out this year, tag him and that buys him 2 more years to figure something out.  I do wonder if we are sitting at 1-9, 2-10 something like that if Burns just doesnt pull the plug and not risk it

It doesn't matter.  That's a sunk cost at this point and making another mistake to make up for an old one is twice as bad.  Our team is in no position to offer any player $30 million a year.  We have holes and need depth. 

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So essentially a bottom of rd 1 pick and a 3rd string RB.

Wonder if Denver wishes they had Chubb right now over the 29th overall pick?

Edited by ncfan