• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football Week 6 Games

Varking

9 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Texas and OU haven’t even left the B12 yet. Sure the conference “seems to be doing fine” now but what about in three years? You are being short sighted and obtuse. 

And what will the tv contracts look like in 3 years? My point is that it's too early to really call anything at this stage. We are treading in completely uncharted waters, we have no real precident for this. These schools will act in their own interests ultimately, whatever is the most profitable move is what will be taken. I never denied that the ACC can't fall apart, I said in my reply to the other poster that it is "CERTAINLY POSSIBLE". I just don't see what interest it serves for any of the other programs besides those few. It will suck and be a huge blow though, absolutely.

But where exactly are the other programs in the ACC going? What exactly makes ripping the conference apart more viable for other members than it just remaining without those 3 teams? State, Miami, maybe Duke, Louisville and UVA are about the only teams I could see following suit, though IMO the last 3 aren't in that great of positions themselves and Miami was one of the few that fully supported the expansion to 3 teams so they seem to be set on remaining in the ACC right now. 

Edited by beo

Sports are great fun…but when I go to stock my house with a little cart of food and it costs 200 dollars I really have to wonder how people can eat these days.  The old middle class is poor as fug now.  Meanwhile the super rich are buying islands.  This country has a huge problem 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a former board member. The guy knows everything there is to know about UNC athletics, how much money they have, how much more they can get, etc.  

good for him. UNC insiders and doners have often been misguided and hoodwinked. Money only goes so far. UNC can be a national power in basketball or football. They can’t be in both and today they are in neither. If they were serious about it, we would see a different dude on the sideline of that court. 

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

The Big 10 and SEC payouts are 49 and 50 million respectively. The ACC is 39 million. There might be some spare change numbers on those but those are the amounts. Rivalries are awesome. No argument there. It all gets down to the dollars though, and 10 million is enough to get eyes and hearts wandering.

The ACC has the grant of rights blocking the exit of the teams though. In the last negotiation cycle the ACC basically traded some payout money in exchange for longterm stability which seems to be paying off at the moment. That's why FSU, Clemson and UNC haven't already left. Teams cant just leave, it's pretty much on the lawyers of the teams that do to try and find a loophole somehow but they haven't been able to do so to any real success so far.

An ACC league source last year told CBS Sports, at that time, it might have cost as much as $500 million total to exit the league, including its grant of rights, as there were then 14 years left on the deal. Other estimates have been lower but still significant. (this number is probably bullshit but it's pretty much unanimous that it'd cost far more than any school is willing to pay to leave)
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/inside-the-big-12s-ironclad-grant-of-rights-contract-that-helped-keep-the-acc-together-amid-turbulence/

1 minute ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

good for him. UNC insiders and doners have often been misguided and hoodwinked. Money only goes so far. UNC can be a national power in basketball or football. They can’t be in both and today they are in neither. If they were serious about it, we would see a different dude on the sideline of that court. 

College basketball has fallen off hard. You're acting like it's either or because you're acting like the resource commitment is comparable. It isn't. Football drives the bus. It took UNC years of denial to see the writing on the wall but they realize it now. Meanwhile, with basketball falling off hard in relevance it takes comparably lesser resources to maintain blue chip status there.

1 minute ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Big East might take them in. Otherwise maybe they form a regional conference. Tobacco Road Conference. See if ECU and Elon want to get in on it. UNCC and UNCG as well.

I think big east and independent in football is the most likely outcome for Duke in the event of an ACC collapse. I do think Duke is in a slightly better position than given credit for with the football program on the up, when you combine the basketball and football money Duke looks a lot better standing-wise (as does UNC and any of the other BBall blue bloods, most top tier BBall programs are roughly on par with a low to mid tier P5 fb program in terms of revenue). I'm more concerned about Wake. They are absolutely screwed. 

1 minute ago, beo said:

The ACC has the grant of rights blocking the exit of the teams though. In the last negotiation cycle the ACC basically traded some payout money in exchange for longterm stability which seems to be paying off at the moment. That's why FSU, Clemson and UNC haven't already left. Teams cant just leave, it's pretty much on the lawyers of the teams that do to try and find a loophole somehow but they haven't been able to do so to any real success so far.

An ACC league source last year told CBS Sports, at that time, it might have cost as much as $500 million total to exit the league, including its grant of rights, as there were then 14 years left on the deal. Other estimates have been lower but still significant. (this number is probably bullshit but it's pretty much unanimous that it'd cost far more than any school is willing to pay to leave)
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/inside-the-big-12s-ironclad-grant-of-rights-contract-that-helped-keep-the-acc-together-amid-turbulence/

I apologize if it seemed I was implying this would come to pass in the next few days or weeks. Of course it won't. All of those things have not stopped teams from leaving when they've decided it's time to leave. It all gets negotiated down and concessions are made and financial deals are struck. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

College basketball has fallen off hard. You're acting like it's either or because you're acting like the resource commitment is comparable. It isn't. Football drives the bus. It took UNC years of denial to see the writing on the wall but they realize it now. Meanwhile, with basketball falling off hard in relevance it takes comparably lesser resources to maintain blue chip status there.

If the powers that be at UNC truly realize that, then their football program may very well realize their potential. Still, 4 P5 programs and App State/ECU in state make things difficult for them.

• Poo 1

Just now, UnluckyforSome said:

I apologize if it seemed I was implying this would come to pass in the next few days or weeks. Of course it won't. All of those things have not stopped teams from leaving when they've decided it's time to leave. It all gets negotiated down and concessions are made and financial deals are struck. 

100% agree, it's a longterm thing. We'll see. I have a feeling they'll probably find some level of loophole eventually; no way those 3 teams will still be in the ACC come 2035. 

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I have a really radical idea…everyone don’t go to work.  At once, nobody show up.  Stop feeding these rich fugs their money.  Just don’t work.  See how that goes for a while.  People have power in numbers 

Yeah, problem is most people don't have the resolve to do something like this...or to stop paying taxes on top of the taxes they've already paid.  The US and really the world is in bad shape.....