• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks is a better coach than Frank Reich. And it's not even close.

Dorian Gray

The thing is, Wilks punted from midfield, when there was no tomorrow, in a must-win game, a playoff elimination game. I'm sure he thought to himself, we have a 14 point lead, and my defense is going to be good enough to stop them the rest of the game. Except it wasn't, and by the way, here's Brady and Evans, again and again and again. 

We have seen that song and dance so many times as fans, and just because it's familiar, doesn't make it right.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

The thing is, Wilks punted from midfield, when there was no tomorrow, in a must-win game, a playoff elimination game. I'm sure he thought to himself, we have a 14 point lead, and my defense is going to be good enough to stop them the rest of the game. Except it wasn't, and by the way, here's Brady and Evans, again and again and again. 

We have seen that song and dance so many times as fans, and just because it's familiar, doesn't make it right.

Yeah, Rivera was probably watching and screaming at the TV, “Jesus man! When you’re on the hot seat you gotta go for those!”

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

19 years of it wasn’t enough for you? (Between Fox and Rivera?) 

Set your sights higher, friend.

Right now I’m just hoping we can win a game. When you’re the worst team in the league at least you can take comfort in the number 1 pick. We gave that to the Bears. 

The team played for Wilkes cause they wanted him to get the job. It happens all the time. If they played with the passion and desire and determination they did his time as the head guy, I would take that over the listless, lost team we are now. At least we had a mission every game to pound the rock on offense and terrorize you in defense. I wanted Johnson from Detroit,  would've settled for eagles oc, but we got a stubborn, old school coach who the game is passing by.

1 hour ago, Bring Jake back said:

The team played for Wilkes cause they wanted him to get the job. It happens all the time. If they played with the passion and desire and determination they did his time as the head guy, I would take that over the listless, lost team we are now. At least we had a mission every game to pound the rock on offense and terrorize you in defense. I wanted Johnson from Detroit,  would've settled for eagles oc, but we got a stubborn, old school coach who the game is passing by.

The defense got worse under Wilks, surprisingly. Again though, just because the current coaching staff/FO sucks, doesn’t mean we need to go to 1980s .500 ball. If the team played for Wilks, they should have done better than 6-6, and made the playoffs for him.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Bring Jake back said:

The D should have balled out in that Tampa game then if they wanted Wilks to get the job. 

He made a very stupid decision to rely on his defense by giving the ball back to Tampa and TB.  We didn't have the secondary to stop them and the rest is history.

Great interim coach and not a great long term answer.

Running off Ben Johnson and stiff arming Steichen rank way higher on my list of better options.

Frank was never a good option. Tepper couldn't see it and some fans couldn't either. Whatever he agreed to that Ben balked at is what I want to know. Whatever it was, it was real bad.

9 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

The defense got worse under Wilks, surprisingly. Again though, just because the current coaching staff/FO sucks, doesn’t mean we need to go to 1980s .500 ball. If the team played for Wilks, they should have done better than 6-6, and made the playoffs for him.

Sooo you believe a 1-4 team unde Rhule , that is now 0-8 under a supposed all-star coaching staff should have been better under Wilks that went 6-6? That’s delusion lol seek help. 

Rosters matter. Training camp matters. An interim coach can only tweak his scheme during the season.

Injuries matter. That’s why we sucked against Brady and Evans, We were missing both starting corners. That’s why our defensive sucked against Detroit. 

Give Wilks some resources and he could have potentially thrived. Look at San Francisco’s dismantling of Dallas on Sunday Night Football last night. Guess who was the defensive coordinator. You got it! It was Steve Wilks. 

Sean McDermott was a defensive minded coach under Rivera. I would take his success here in Carolina  any day. All you want is a chance. We don’t have that right now. 

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Great interim coach and not a great long term answer.

Running off Ben Johnson and stiff arming Steichen rank way higher on my list of better options.

Frank was never a good option. Tepper couldn't see it and some fans couldn't either. Whatever he agreed to that Ben balked at is what I want to know. Whatever it was, it was real bad.

I believe the reason that got out from Ben Johnson was legitimate. Ben balked at this job because we didn’t have a roster and QB he felt good about, and he felt he had unfinished business in Detroit. 

While I hate Tepper meddling, and I think he’s the worse owner in the NFL, I don’t think that instance was his doing. 

7 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

I believe the reason that got out from Ben Johnson was legitimate. Ben balked at this job because we didn’t have a roster and QB he felt good about, and he felt he had unfinished business in Detroit. 

While I hate Tepper meddling, and I think he’s the worse owner in the NFL, I don’t think that instance was his doing. 

He literally ran away and stopped taking interviews. That is way more than balking at the job. They traded up to #1 so he could have had the pick of the litter at QB...if picking was ever on the table. Whatever it was, it was way more than just a bad roster.

19 hours ago, Dorian Gray said:

Feel free to bump this if Frank ever wins anything (he won't). We should've hired Wilks, and rode with Darnold + DJ + future draft capital. 

This is an absolute dumpster fire and lays squarely on David Tepper.

Hiring a coach who was fired halfway through the previous season was a swell idea.

The Panthers are an ego project for the inept Tepper, and Fitterer...Fitterer is just an idiot who makes Marty Hurney look like a genius.