• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School - Bryce Young vs Miami

Coheed

Just now, CRA said:

Addressed this in another thread, but Teddy's next gen pass charts are still available for his time in Carolina. 

Reality is, Teddy Bridgwater attacked the field deep more than Bryce Young is doing.   And it's really not close.   And that's not claiming Teddy did it much.  But it doesn't exist under Young to date for whatever reason.   Teddy factually had shots and completions downfield. 

I would love to see the passing charts and for which games, because there were absolutely games D.J. had the greenlight on one on ones down field and Teddy just. Wouldn't. 

But even then, great, we're still comparing a 7 (?) year vet with a much more competent offensive supporting cast (two 1,000 yard WRs, Mike Davis) and a rookie learning in the NFL. And even then he's still been going over the middle more and more recently. 

3 minutes ago, Rags said:

That's your problem if you didn't see him as a rookie.

He's a rookie.

Do I need to pull quotes from just about everyone on this staff about how far advanced he is and how we can win the division etc

and for the record I have said all along 7 wins is about right.  fug even I was wrong, what did you predict?

12 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Better watch out; you'll make the mods angry with that kind of fact-based, logical talk.

I mean we can argue about his arm or actually watch the video where he attempts a long pass and see what happens.  Young is also getting drilled in most of the plays.  His durability doesn't appear to be an issue like many thought before the draft. *knock on wood*

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Rags said:

I would love to see the passing charts and for which games, because there were absolutely games D.J. had the greenlight on one on ones down field and Teddy just. Wouldn't. 

But even then, great, we're still comparing a 7 (?) year vet with a much more competent offensive supporting cast (two 1,000 yard WRs, Mike Davis) and a rookie learning in the NFL. And even then he's still been going over the middle more and more recently. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/teddy-bridgewater/BRI129168/2020

To be fair he had Moore, Anderson (while his head was still semi screwed on) and Samuel. That’s a lot of speed. I suggest going back and watching some of these deep balls too. I mean the one to Moore in NO he was open by 20 yards 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Rags said:

I'll still argue you can work more with "kinda inaccurate deep" than "Can't go deep at all" which is why I'll give any legs to the Teddy comparisons. 

And yeah the answer is obvious - he lost JMo. Nothing wrong with having an elite deep threat. 

At this point one would have to remove all logic to deem Young a phsyical specimen with an arm capable of putting the ball wherever he wants. It's been well known he has had a little hop motion to make certain throws going back to Alabama. Or he has to put everything he has into it upon given about 5-6 seconds in the pocket to wind up a bomb to a wide open receiver (like the Alabama highlight play that's been floating around here).

If we were drafting a project QB in the late 2nd that's one thing. But we were repeatedly assured Young didn't need elite weapons to produce. Now he does. If we're going to chalk that up to things change and sometimes you get it wrong okay but that's not what we should have been looking for in a trade up to first overall for such substantial investment.

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/teddy-bridgewater/BRI129168/2020

To be fair he had Moore, Anderson (while his head was still semi screwed on) and Samuel. That’s a lot of speed. I suggest going back and watching some of these deep balls too. I mean the one to Moore in NO he was open by 20 yards 

Huh. fuging crazy. I think that 4th and whatever against the Bucs(?) where he threw it short to Samuel colored my experience more than I thought. 

Edited by Rags

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Do I need to pull quotes from just about everyone on this staff about how far advanced he is and how we can win the division etc

and for the record I have said all along 7 wins is about right.  fug even I was wrong, what did you predict?

Listen man if u wanna buy into team fluff cool, great. Sometimes it works on me too.

I reeled it back when our GM publicly said "Yeah we're gonna suck" before week 1.

• Pie 1

Still not sure wtf happened with the play-calling. We were actually running off-tackle and doing some play action effectively. 

It’s pretty obvious we can’t just shotgun air raid so I’m not sure why we keep trying. 

Bryce made some great throws though and missed some as well. But no big mistakes. I agree I’d like to see more deep shots. On that tight throw to Hurst it looks like TMJ was gonna be open on that deep post. But I imagine it’s tough trusting your line at this point. I think getting Corbett back in there will be huge.

• Pie 1