• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Burns for Jaylon Johnson and some picks

Varking

30 minutes ago, Varking said:

Jaylon Johnson and the Bears could not come to an agreement on a contract extension and his agent was told they can seek a trade. He is a true #1 corner and has had to cover #1 with an inferior pass rush the past few seasons. We obviously have corner issues here in Carolina. Right now Troy Hill and CJ Henderson are our starting Corners and Jaycee Horn is never available. 

We lose both Troy Hill and Henderson at the end of the year to free agency as well. 

I would make the pitch:

**Panthers get**

CB Jaylon Johnson

Chicago Bears 2nd round pick ( Currently 37 )

Chicago Beards 3rd round pick ( Currently 68 )

This would give Carolina picks 34, 37, 66 and 68. 

**Bears get**

DE Brian Burns

We get a long term secondary player and some decent draft capital back after the trade up to get Young, and extend him for significantly cheaper than what Burns is going to get. Chicago gets the pass rushing DE they have been after and can sign him easily as they have the most cap space going into next season and the second most the year after that. I also think it makes sense for Chicago to trade Justin Fields right now ( I am not sure I believe his dislocated thumb can't grip a football this week ) and they already announced TBag is the starter this week. I think that is to give Tyson all the reps with the ones while they take offers for Justin so they can get some of this draft capital back. 

Johnson is an 84.4 grade on PFF is thats your kind of thing. And he is doing this with no pass rush. Chicago is dead last with 10 sacks as a team. 5 lower than the next lowest team. Chicagos leading sack guy has 2 on the season. 

If we could work that exact deal or something close, I would be all for it.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, OceanRider said:

Who’s going to pass rush if burns is gone? 

I am skeptical of trading away what little talent we have left here. Not like we are going to make a playoff run this year. 

Denver was 14th in defensive points allowed last year under Evero despite being 10th worst in sacks. They employed a shut down corner in Surtain ( Jaylon Johnson ) and their sack leader had 6.5 sacks. He employs a system that leads to coverage sacks and bad throws. They had more sacks from linebackers than they did their defensive ends. With Johnson here and Horn coming back ( what are the odds he gets hurt AGAIN ? ) it would be even better than what he had in Denver at corner. 

We have 16 sacks on the season, 14 of which belong to players who are currently set to be FAs, 11 of which are edge/OLB (Burns, Luvu, YGM, Grugier-Hill, Chinn, Henderson; not to mention Haynes who is also a FA). Who exactly are we getting to rush the passer after this season? 

Edited by UNCrules2187

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Ah yes draft picks… we sure seem to use those well. 

I know you're just being negative for the sake of being negative but how else do you plan on helping Bryce out if not through the draft? We are going to lure top free agents here? Have you seen what is available? Do you believe the top part of what COULD be available actually will be come free agent time? We drafted Bryce with those draft picks... are you not happy with Bryce?

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

We have 16 sacks on the season, 14 of which belong to players who are currently set to be FAs, 11 of which are edge/OLB (Burns, Luvu, YGM, Grugier-Hill, Chinn, Henderson; not to mention Haynes who is also a FA). Who exactly are we getting to rush the passer after this season? 

Well, two of those I believe will be back if we want them in Luvu and Henderson. Henderson is getting better here each week and I think he appreciates the low-key vibe of being a Carolina Panther. He has never enjoyed attention. If we make him a remotely fair offer he comes back. 

Evero when in Denver didn't have any major sack guys and kept point totals low despite how bad Denvers offense was last year. Their sack leader was at 6.5. I think we can find a guy who can get that for us much easier than we can find a shut down corner like Johnson who has done his damage with no pass rush in Chicago for two years. 

Edited by Varking

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

Sounds like they aren't asking for crazy value in return. 

Sounds like they want draft capital and not players. I'd rather not give up more draft capital. I know INTs aren't everything, but Horn has one more pick in 28 less than games than Johnson. Johnson had 1 INT coming into this season in 39 career games. He's probably looking for a contract that's top 10 in AAV which is ~$18m/per. I'd rather spend more on pass rush tbh. 

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Sounds like they want draft capital and not players. I'd rather not give up more draft capital. I know INTs aren't everything, but Horn has one more pick in 28 less than games than Johnson. Johnson had 1 INT coming into this season in 39 career games. He's probably looking for a contract that's top 10 in AAV which is ~$18m/per. I'd rather spend more on pass rush tbh. 

Yeah the INT thing is deceiving because he shuts down half a field basically erasing a target. He allows a 37.3 passer rating when targeted.