• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Enough time has passed - Feedback on the new playcaller

Varking

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

We have QB issues?

You're entitled to your opinion on the subject the same as I am. 

Under the best evaluation we have a rookie learning the ropes with very little help, unless you believe Bryce is playing to his ceiling already.

My personal evaluation is that I'm encouraged by his improvement each week and look forward to seeing more of it.  He is still a work in process.

I think under any evaluation listing QB issues as an area that needs to improve is fair.  Perhaps you didn't appreciate the wording.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Especially given the fact that we can’t block, can’t run the football, and can’t catch. 

Very good point and You know, I am very confused by this. The simple explanation is everyone sucks. I have an inclination to believe this to be somewhat true. But these guys do this for a living and have had somewhat moderate success.  

Why is it that Miles in running the wrong route on a 4th and 2?  Why does Ickey look like he has no idea what his blocking assignment is?  These guys look like they are getting confused on some basic assignments.  Like they are just seeing some of this stuff for the first time. 

Just wondering if  it’s bigger than a talent problem at this point. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Improvements:

-play calls were getting in on time and with plenty of time still on play clock

-ball wasn't snapped with 1 sec left on play clock

-didnt waste a timeout to prevent delay of game(s)

I think that helps Bryce a huge amount too.  Allows him more time to see the defense instead of rushing in to snap the ball as fast as possible. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, CarolinaNut said:

So we are just going to skip over the fact that the offensive line was complete and utter trash Sunday?!?

They couldn't get any push in the run game and they could not hold a block on drop backs for majority of the game.  There is only so much a coordinator can do when the players suck at executing.  Then you have Mingo and Chark with drive killing drops.  I did not have a problem with the playcalling Sunday but the execution from our players left a sour taste.

Absolutely not ignoring that. And that’s a big problem every week. I’m just talking about the play calling in this specific thread. 

They definitely tried to mix it up and call some plays downfield but if anything it only emphasized why our offense has been so heavy on screens and short passes. It seemed like every single successful play downfield came out of a broken play with Bryce scrambling away from pressure. When we actually tried to get a designed pass downfield, the receivers were almost always completely blanketed in coverage, leading to Bryce getting pancaked by a defensive lineman or two while looking for someone to get open. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

53 minutes ago, Varking said:

Absolutely not ignoring that. And that’s a big problem every week. I’m just talking about the play calling in this specific thread. 

Don't we need more than. 1 game to judge someone on their play calling?

Reich had 8 weeks and he was horrible. I think Brown deserves a little more time calling plays before we can truly judge his play calling.

3 hours ago, Newtcase said:

You're entitled to your opinion on the subject the same as I am. 

Under the best evaluation we have a rookie learning the ropes with very little help, unless you believe Bryce is playing to his ceiling already.

My personal evaluation is that I'm encouraged by his improvement each week and look forward to seeing more of it.  He is still a work in process.

I think under any evaluation listing QB issues as an area that needs to improve is fair.  Perhaps you didn't appreciate the wording.

Judging by this past game I don’t think it makes much sense to say we have QB issues. Bryce carried that offense on Sunday. Despite everyone fuging up around him, he balled out and never let it get to him. 

If we’re talking about the season as a whole, then yeah sure we definitely have had QB issues. But Bryce played about as well as a rookie quarterback possibly could in that offense.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Don't we need more than. 1 game to judge someone on their play calling?

Reich had 8 weeks and he was horrible. I think Brown deserves a little more time calling plays before we can truly judge his play calling.

We can judge individual games now and judge batches or a seasons worth as time goes on. Isn’t that what we do for everyone? 

I honestly didn't see a huge difference in the playcalling.

What I think did make a difference last game were some of the personnel choices. Specifically, Blackshear being active, Tremble playing instead of Ian Thomas, and of course Chuba Hubbard being the primary runningback.

If Frank has an issue, I don't think it's necessarily playcalling. It more likely might be depth chart evaluation and arrangement.

• Pie 1

It was noted on The Roar podcast but I missed a lot of this game, wasn't it all operationally much better pre-snap? As in the call got into the huddle quicker, we broke out of the huddle with time on the play clock which I think helps Bryce and this offense, then we used some amount of motion right? That's something to build on and so is a game winning drive in front of your home crowd, that's always good.

2 hours ago, thebdawg said:

Judging by this past game I don’t think it makes much sense to say we have QB issues. Bryce carried that offense on Sunday. Despite everyone fuging up around him, he balled out and never let it get to him. 

If we’re talking about the season as a whole, then yeah sure we definitely have had QB issues. But Bryce played about as well as a rookie quarterback possibly could in that offense.

So when you're convinced Bryce is the guy then you only need one game to be objective?  Mind you that game wasn't exactly mind blowing, it just happened to be his best performance to date.

Otherwise, if you have any doubts about Bryce then one game, two games, three games, four games one week after another we're told it's too soon to have any objective opinion.  I happen to agree with this notion by the way.  I'm happy to give Bryce time to grow but I'm going to talk reality while he does.

A passable performance against the Texans isn't the goalpost here.  Sure we can all celebrate progress and improvement, but that's exactly what I'll call it.  There are still plenty of issues originating from the QB spot even in this win.  Most are to be expected and completely reasonable, but that doesn't mean can't recognize that our QB play atm, while improving isn't putting us on the map just yet.

It's ironic that you guys only jump to defend Bryce.  I called out the WR position as well which includes Mingo, another rookie.  I don't see anyone here acting as his white knight and offering excuses for him.  Nope, that's because we all agree that WR is an issue.  Production is the only data point anyone cares about when it's not dressed like Bryce Young.