• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this fanbase not suited for a rookie QB?

BrisbanePanther

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really wanted Richardson but also said that interviews could convince me otherwise. I really thought the decision should've been between Stroud and Richardson but convinced myself to be okay with Bryce because I saw the writing on the wall and convinced myself that this very experienced staff wouldn't draft the guy if I was right about him and his talent was truly NFL marginal.

Well, fug.

This is exactly how I felt pre=draft and I really had a hard time understanding how it wasnt between Stroud and Richardson. They both had higher upside and NFL quality measurables. BY was scared to compete against these guys at the combine for a reason.

I didnt know how much influence the Teppers would have on the decision though...

Edited by PootieNunu

Got it--AGAIN, not blaming any fan. Our expectations are what they are. I never said, "it's the fans' fault" for anything. I'm still confused why "suited" = "blame" but w/e. I thought Duncan's comment had merit and thought it was worthwhile to lob here. I got that wrong.

I get it. I'm admittedly pro-Bryce, but even I am losing patience and was yelling about the picks and pedestrian performance (again)--regardless of what Stroud did, which makes it look even worse--just like Levis, who's already had a 4 TD game. 

On this trajectory, this is indeed looking like the biggest own goal in franchise history and will take ages to move past--if it can even be moved past at all while Tepper is the owner, which I doubt. They have a lot of work to do.

12 hours ago, d-dave said:

I think the main issue is that we're seeing CJ Stroud have record breaking success in Houston, and many fans were split predraft on Young/Stroud.

We had a great time between Jake and Cam, and then we've spent the past five years trying to figure it out.  We were sold that we'd no longer be picking top 20 anymore.  We have a billion years of coaching experience.  Being disappointed is extremely fair.  While I'm not going to trash the team (because I do remember the years before the Panthers), to each their own.  

I will say that regardless of who was QB here, if we did have the magic ability to change who we drafted, they would be struggling the same.  Here are the offensive issues we have regardless of who is taking snaps:

1. Poor overall WR play/speed.  We hear it week after week, but the FO did a poo job making decisions about WRs.

2. Poor OL play.  From Icky falling off a cliff into the Byron Bell school of OT, to the complete poo show of Guard play, to the fact that the offense isn't schemed for their success.  Coaches and FO are not seeing eye to eye, which is a BIG problem.

3. The lack of synergy between the coaching staff and FO.  Again, this is super surprising to me since Scott HIRED Frank.  They should be hand in hand, executing a plan.  If not - the good job Dave, you fugged this up AGAIN.  

When you watch Stroud, or AR before the injury, they were able to make plays because their line gave them enough time for the plays to develop.  While Bryce has several coverage sacks on him, there are TONS of times where the opponents D is in his face before he hits the back of his drop.  There is no playmaking that happens there.  Someone brough up the David Carr'ing of Bryce, and that could be a real issue.

I turned off the game after his first pick six.  Why?  Because I knew we'd run out of time, and that was a do or die drive.  I'm also no stress about rookies throwing picks.  It happens to most rookie QBs.  Maybe CJ Stroud is QB jesus, which is great for him and Houston, but we can't change the past.  The fact is most rookies struggle in their first year.  We've seen spots of great play and potential from Bryce, and I think he's going to be good for us.  We just have to figure out how to build the team around him.

This is straight on the desk of Frank, Scott and Tepper.  They have to get it straightened out before it's too late for Bryce.

Just wanted to say that you can try to sugar coat what is happening all you like, fact of the matter is Stroud is doing much more with much less!  It seems like he is getting more time behind his o-line because the defense has to actually respect the passing game he is bringing.  Don’t confuse what you are seeing!

12 hours ago, Growl said:

anyways, he put up some real awful stinkers his first couple seasons with a much better supporting cast. I’m as frustrated as anyone by the ways things have gone but Bryce had played well the last four games and that’s with the weekly Ikem ekwonu opening drive, drive-killer sack and the stupid look on Bradley bozeman’s face every time a defender brains him in the pocket 

Cam Newton showed he belonged even in preseason then he put the league on notice his first two regular season starts.

Please stop trying to link this pathetic excuse for a passing offense with the only MVP in franchise history because your feelings are hurt people are being critical of a first overall pick.

Anywho let's get down to it. What's your definition of "playing well" for Young?

Against Minnesota he had a 21.0 QBR.

Against the Lions he scored one touchdown when the game was within reach. The Lions gave us whatever we wanted in the 4th quarter because the game was long over.

Against the Dolphins Bryce showed a little early promise then proceeded to be stuck in timeout for 3 entire quarters and never saw the scoreboard again.

And then there was the Texans game. Our regular season Super Bowl for some fans apparently. 15 whopping points. And 3 of those our kicker absolutely labored for to win the game. What a barn burner!

Should we discuss the Colts game? Too soon?

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 2

20 hours ago, Daniel Mullaly said:

Blaming the OL makes some sense, blaming the coaching staff makes some sense, blaming ownership makes some sense. Blaming the fans? Makes no sense. Dumb DUMB take. 

Some Unnecessary Dumbness.

I watched that guy and enjoyed him until he became bitter at the people who see what he won’t.

On 11/6/2023 at 2:17 AM, BrisbanePanther said:

Heard this statement on the Unnecessary Bluntness YouTube channel.

I personally am starting to agree with this view. We're looking for a rookie to come in and play like a skilled vet or be a rookie like Stroud, who is clearly emerging as a one-of-a-kind, generational rookie QB.

Maybe we should move in a direction as a franchise--sign FA QBs or trade for vet QBs, know what we're getting, and move along with whatever comes with that. 

I honestly believe this fanbase would be all over someone like Tannehill or Cousins this off-season. Or just extend Dalton. Then trade Bryce to LA, Atlanta, or Minnesota and let him take be whatever he'll become there.

Unnecessarily Bluntness is trying to get into that "locked on" podcast team. He kisses ass entirely too much. Can't watch him for too long.