• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Retooling the offensive approach...

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's hard to really even see him as OC since it's been Frank's offense all year. It looks like he got to pick and choose from Frank's playbook to try and design his own. 

He did.

Brown wrote the playbook using concepts he borrowed from Reich, McVay and his own experience.

From what I've seen, the play designs haven't been anything special. I don't really get a sense of him calling plays to set up other plays or anything like that either. It's possible he's doing that but I'm not seeing it.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

We had the opportunity to draft Downs. We opted for a slow WR and then an edge one pick after Downs who has done nothing. 

We need better talent evaluation because they’ve not only dropped the ball on so many picks but they’re often trading UP to make said picks. 

The story with Mingo was that he made such an incredible impression on the coaching staff here that they felt like they just had to have him.

He doesn't really suit a WCO though.

Downs absolutely would.

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

So you finally admit that  Sanders sucks and offensive philosophy behind signing him was donkey brained 

I dont think the offensive philosophy behind the signing was a bad one. I think the idea was to be able to play a spread offence and let Bryce be the distributor of the ball. This I believe was built on the believe that the oline would continue as it finished last year, which was a strength of the team. 

The oline is in shambles and thus there is zero time to throw. Coupled by the fact that the WR's cannot get seperation we have what we are watching. 

Its made worse by the fact that even we take deep shots, the WR's tend to breakoff their routes early because they know the pressure that gets to Bryce, which is why we have seen over thrown balls on deep shots often. Bryce us throwing the ball to where they should be.. 

Overall its a mess. Its really hard to watch.. I'll continue to watch but its not an enjoyable experience.. 

• Pie 1

We're in this predicament because we tried to retool our offensive approach. We have an OL built for power run blocking to allow them to lean on play action to setup the pass. Then we drafted a system QB who requires a spread attack to have any chance of success and it's all failing miserably. We've made way too many dramatic knee jerk decisions under Tepper. There's no thought into the process of transition. It's just "well that didn't work, so obviously let's just do the polar opposite" over and over again.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Still bottom of the NFL and winless at the time.  

But scoring the most points in the division.

Mind you, Reich is far from blameless, but I think the issues he's responsible for are different, arguably higher level.

(personnel and depth chart decisions primarily)

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

He did.

Brown wrote the playbook using concepts he borrowed from Reich, McVay and his own experience.

From what I've seen, the play designs haven't been anything special. I don't really get a sense of him calling plays to set up other plays or anything like that either. It's possible he's doing that but I'm not seeing it.

It's just strange that someone from the McVay tree would write up something without Frank's help that Frank was going to be calling plays from. I don't know if he had Frank's help or not. I don't really care. This is pop Warner offense. Run here and stop. If this was a baseball team, when someone hit the ball, the whole team would end up in right field. It's just fuging embarrassing. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont think the offensive philosophy behind the signing was a bad one. I think the idea was to be able to play a spread offence and let Bryce be the distributor of the ball. This I believe was built on the believe that the oline would continue as it finished last year, which was a strength of the team. 

The oline is in shambles and thus there is zero time to throw. Coupled by the fact that the WR's cannot get seperation we have what we are watching. 

Its made worse by the fact that even we take deep shots, the WR's tend to breakoff their routes early because they know the pressure that gets to Bryce, which is why we have seen over thrown balls on deep shots often. Bryce us throwing the ball to where they should be.. 

Overall its a mess. Its really hard to watch.. I'll continue to watch but its not an enjoyable experience.. 

There's a huge mismatch between the offensive personnel we have and the type of attack we're trying to run.

• Beer 1

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's just strange that someone from the McVay tree would write up something without Frank's help that Frank was going to be calling plays from. I don't know if he had Frank's help or not. I don't really care. This is pop Warner offense. Run here and stop. If this was a baseball team, when someone hit the ball, the whole team would end up in right field. It's just fuging embarrassing. 

Frank helped, at least with concepts and things like that. That's per Brown's own words. 

But yeah, It's not working.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

But scoring the most points in the division.

Mind you, Reich is far from blameless, but I think the issues he's responsible for are different, arguably higher level.

(personnel and depth chart decisions primarily)

Yeah Reich forcing his scheme with our OL is one of our biggest issues.

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I like Downs and wanted him at 39, but he is a slot which is where AT is playing.  Slot WR might be the only thing on offense that looks decent for us.  

Theilen isn’t going to be around forever. Doubt he’s here next year. If you watched Downs at Chapel Hill which I did, you’ll know he’s more than just a slot guy. 

Edited by WarHeel
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're in this predicament because we tried to retool our offensive approach. We have an OL built for power run blocking to allow them to lean on play action to setup the pass. Then we drafted a system QB who requires a spread attack to have any chance of success and it's all failing miserably. We've made way too many dramatic knee jerk decisions under Tepper. There's no thought into the process of transition. It's just "well that didn't work, so obviously let's just do the polar opposite" over and over again.

And here's what I don't get...

You've got guys like Jim Caldwell, a successful head coach in his own right, in the mix. Plus someone like Duce Staley who's worked not only with Reich but with Ben Johnson and others. And of course, Reich, who pioneered things like mesh concepts and triangle reads.

How, in the midst of all that, does no one see the mismatch between personnel and approach?

This especially when it was stated from the beginning that the idea was to tailor the schemes to the players? 😣

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah Reich forcing his scheme with our OL is one of our biggest issues.

It's a huge issue. This line is built to attack with the run, and play pass pro once they get the defense on its heels. We're the 4th most passing team in the NFL and have one of, if not the worst, pass pro offensive line. It's almost like anyone with basic football knowledge could see this MIGHT be a problem. 

• Pie 2

I still wonder how much of the offensive stinkage is due to them trying to figure out how to use an undersized, below average arm strength QB. For all of the pre-draft expert takes on Young, I am not seeing it at all. I watched some of the Jets game Monday and their offense led by Wilson looks very similar to the Panthers. 
I still think if Dalton plays we would see a significant improvement in how the offense runs. Of course Dalton is not the answer but he clearly is better than Young. If the Panthers wanna win, they should be playing Dalton.