• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 QB Watch…

*FreeFua*

23 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah if we draft one this year it’s a late round project that dropped further than we had projected. Young gets next year with us investing heavily in our offense this offseason. We can do a full reset in 25 if we need it with an early 1st. Sanders and Ewers might play another year, Allar at Penn St could be there..

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/quinn-ewers-shedeur-sanders-headline-2025-nfl-draft-qb-class/#

The good news is if Young is a true bust we will have a high pick which could attract a good coach. If we don’t have a top pick that likely means Young played better.

Yeah, all the guys being talked about coming out this year won't end up declaring. NIL money changes the calculation for a lot of these guys. Hell, as the starting QB at a place like Texas you might end up making more next year in Austin than you would potentially slipping to the 3rd round.

• Pie 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:39 PM, 45catfan said:

Here's a link:

https://gbnreport.com/2024-qb-ranking/

image.thumb.png.38c7325d0e001b8c9a7bad0ceca3d205.png

There's a lot of talent here.  We'd be dumb not to take a stab.

poo, 5-9 is STILL a decent QB with upside. then there is rattler, milton, jefferson,  and rising. like hell take 2 stabs at it. considering whats going on in DC, thats 3 straight drafts with QBs worth a damn. after the top guys

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, chbright said:

poo, 5-9 is STILL a decent QB with upside. then there is rattler, milton, jefferson,  and rising. like hell take 2 stabs at it. considering whats going on in DC, thats 3 straight drafts with QBs worth a damn. after the top guys

Exactly why I wanted to wait until this coming draft, but nope, we had to go get our pint-sized QB this past April.

• Pie 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

Exactly why I wanted to wait until this coming draft, but nope, we had to go get our pint-sized QB this past April.

nah stroud was my guy after the uga game, we just missed. his knock was he was average or worse against the better teams. that knock was shaky at best, and he willed them into FG range there at the end of the uga game without his top WR. that was the time he should have cemented him 1-1. that was an NFL D, he carved up most of the game. When they needed hm most, he delivered. the kicker didnt. add the pro days/combine and yeah, it was bad miss for us. i didnt like the cost we paid for 1-1, but missing makes it so much worse. hit with stroud, who cares, you found the guy for the next 10-15 years if you pay him. that was why you push the chips in. 

im all in on ewers then penix (still little concern but its 3 years on now) at 2-1. can stomach daniels later. Rattler has the arm, but idk, he's been meh for a while and the flashes brilliance arnt often enough, but unlock that arm and you have something.......  milton and jefferson are freaks which happen to play QB, if you unlock them sky high limits too......

btw, the 3rd year guys, after the after the top 2, only 1 may come out. i want ewers, but dont know if he declares because he can go higher if he plays a full season next year. McCarthy stays unless they win it all, or he goes supernova the next 2+ games. sanders is going nowhere. Leonard was hurt too much, can go higher next year possibly so why not go back.

So that list is going to change a lot. The 2nd/3rd tier wont be that deep as the list, and isnt even close to stroud's level as a prospect. one may bloom after college/draft but going in, its a crap shoot compared to stroud's floor and his ceiling. there are guys that have oodles of potential this year to really shine outside round 1 (arm/athletic/accurate). 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Sure some underclassmen will go back, but a LOT of these guys are seniors+.  I've said all along that the DEPTH of this class is where the value is.  This is the reason it's important for Fitterer--assuming he still here-- to wheel and deal for more draft picks. 

Let's not kid ourselves, this is a full blown rebuild.  We need as much draft capital as possible.  Hanging on to older, non-eilite pieces of this roster is just asinine.  Nobody should be off the table for trade.

I had zero illusions of getting Williams or Maye, that was even before the trade to #1 last spring.  I didn't think we'd be this bad of a train wreck either.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, ForJimmy said:

Yeah that's what I expect as well. Else give me Ewers, Penix, or Nix (I'm coming around), at 2-1. I doubt that 6 go in the 1st round of all them come out. But likely the 2 underclassmen and the 3 seniors all go before we pick and the underclassmen after the top 2 all go back and we are waiting again or taking a big chance on someone. Cause it's rattler and Milton moving way up, and idk, but I'm not sold on them at 2-1.

Edited by chbright

If available in the 3rd, draft Ewers. If available in the 5th, draft Rattler. I think Ewers goes pro because he is going to receive a first or second round grade, his arm talent is pretty ridiculous and the school is likely going to help lead him to greener pastures with two stud younger players on the bench waiting to play and one of which is Arch Manning. The last thing they want is for him to transfer out due to playing time two years in. 

So Ewers may feel the need to transfer and then it's a crapshoot. His family will likely tell him he would be better off going a second round guy anyway to go to a potentially better team, the expectation for him won't be as high as a first rounder and the contract is over sooner so he can hit his second contract faster. 

And then we just have to hope he slips a little. 

12 minutes ago, Varking said:

If available in the 3rd, draft Ewers. If available in the 5th, draft Rattler. I think Ewers goes pro because he is going to receive a first or second round grade, his arm talent is pretty ridiculous and the school is likely going to help lead him to greener pastures with two stud younger players on the bench waiting to play and one of which is Arch Manning. The last thing they want is for him to transfer out due to playing time two years in. 

So Ewers may feel the need to transfer and then it's a crapshoot. His family will likely tell him he would be better off going a second round guy anyway to go to a potentially better team, the expectation for him won't be as high as a first rounder and the contract is over sooner so he can hit his second contract faster. 

Please God let Ewers come out. He's a 1sr rounder to me. I think he is one that slips out of all the others, and id scoop him up in the second 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, chbright said:

Please God let Ewers come out. He's a 1sr rounder to me. I think he is one that slips out of all the others, and id scoop him up in the second 

I have been high on him since last year despite some of the numbers. He just has it in his arm, can make all the throws. 

2 hours ago, Varking said:

I would love Ewers or Rattler in the later rounds. Big time insurance option imo.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Varking said:

I have been high on him since last year despite some of the numbers. He just has it in his arm, can make all the throws. 

Same. Been wanting Ewers since before we moved up last year. After the move up sure was off the list, but now, Ewers is back on the big board. Love the arm and mentality while at Texas. Guys great.