• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

18 minutes ago, LegioX said:

Rock bottom doesn’t happen until we watch Chicago take our #1 overall draft pick next year.

Yea we arent rock bottom until after the draft when the bears make the pick and then Burns refuses to play under the franchise tag and we have no leverage and trade him for a 4th rounder, and we let Luvu walk in an effort to overpay Burns.

Edited by Tr3ach

1 hour ago, CmC2k said:

I mean it just screams dysfunction but both Campen and Tabor were right. We have a Oline that is best at power running and we don't have the WR's to come out in pistol and shotgun every snap especially with Reich's predictable play calling. I agree with Tabor firing Deuce because it seems he was a major reason we brough in Sanders and with the 1st game without Deuce here we saw mostly Chubba who looked "Miles"😏 ahead better than Sanders has all season.  

That's not at all how a professional adult operates though.

If you have issues with somebody, you go to that person. Running to the boss just screams selfish, out for themselves person.

• Pie 1

Call me an optimist but I still truly do believe eventually we'll get it right. Tepper has obviously made mistakes but he's still relatively new to this. What gives me hope is he legitimately seems he has a desire to win and hasn't been afraid to throw money around in hopes of achieving that.

• Pie 4

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Clean house and keep no one. Sorry, none of this should be allowed to be here next year.

I don't think there's any other option at this point...

47 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Tepper, we are begging you, stay away from the team…good lord 

Seriously 😖

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Maybe Evero and his defensive people, but no one on the offensive size or the operational side at all.  

My thing would be leave that to the next head coach.

It's a nice idea, but ownership meddling in the staff building process is part of why we are where we are now.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I get the thought but everyone needs to go. Air the building out with new people who can't remember what went on.

It's appears to be that bad. Nuke it all and hope that steralizes it enough for the next crew...once Tepper stops being the biggest peoblem.

Which is a shame because it's inevitable you're also going to be throwing out some good people along with the bad.

But yeah...

• Beer 1

It is going to be interesting off season. What's the earliest we could expect a new HC and/or GM?

I hope the whole building is cleared. New coaches, new GM, new scouts. The whole deal. Tepper, don't you know the rule? Always have a fall guy. Don't take the heat for yourself get a team president and let him get jeered while the team builds itself back up! Then take all the praise when its finally right! 

33 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

In all honesty, it sounds like Reich was an absolute disaster of a coach. I don't blame Fitterer (as much as I think he needs to go) or anyone else on the staff for pointing out these issues to Tepper. If Reich and McCown didn't think pushing Bryce to improve his footwork was a priority then they both absolutely deserved to be fired because that's one of the most basic functions of a coach. I mean, what kind of coach doesn't even bother working on his rookie QBs footwork?

You can blame Tepper for the failed approach of hiring too many different coaches with different philosophies causing this, but this article makes it even more clear to me that Frank Reich was providing very little - if any - leadership as the head coach and was much more of a problem than we even realized.

I think you can view the entire offense this way on the field as well; it's a mirror of the dysfunction that has been going on behind the scenes. Too many cooks in the kitchen and a dysfunctional mix-match of different players who fit different schemes who might be productive in the right scheme/situation, but all together in this offense can't even figure out how to put one foot in front of the other.

I think what ultimately doomed Frank is that he wanted to take a slow approach, and maybe wasn't as hard on players as he should have been.

Now with that said, I don't see how anybody could win in an environment that encourages the kind of bullsh-t we're hearing about.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Call me an optimist but I still truly do believe eventually we'll get it right. Tepper has obviously made mistakes but he's still relatively new to this. What gives me hope is he legitimately seems he has a desire to win and hasn't been afraid to throw money around in hopes of achieving that.

I think this is true just by the fact eventually he might even get it accidentally wrong. The one thing I will say, if a HC/GM starts getting wins, I don't see Tepper's ego driving a wedge in that. He wants a winner and once he has that he will let it ride. 

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, nctommy said:

Another most likely in contact with Johnson is Shawn Jefferson, WR coach.  Jefferson was the WR coach in Miami 2016-2018 and the assistant WR Coach during that time was Ben Johnson.  Johnson took over WR coach after Jefferson left Miami

Good point. I hadn't looked back at the histories yet.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

More:

Tepper also encouraged Reich to go outside of his “circle” with some of the hires. As such, many of the offensive coaches had never worked together and brought different philosophies to an offense that would be led by a rookie quarterback from Week 1. Besides the disagreements in scheme, there were personality conflicts and factions formed on a staff that included two main holdovers from Rhule’s staff — offensive line coach James Campen and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor, both of whom were retained at Tepper’s urging.

After Tepper named Tabor interim coach last week, one of Tabor’s first moves was to fire quarterbacks coach Josh McCown and running backs coach Duce Staley, who was on Philadelphia’s staff with Reich in 2017 when the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Staley was still with the Eagles two years later when McCown played for the team.

The 44-year-old McCown logged 17 seasons in the NFL as a backup quarterback. McCown twice interviewed for the Houston Texans’ head-coaching vacancy, but his Panthers’ role was his first NFL coaching job.

Some in Carolina thought Reich and McCown weren’t tough enough on Young as the 2021 Heisman Trophy winner from Alabama got off to a bumpy start.

So basically we overcorrected and went from CEO coach to a coaching committee.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PanthersGTI said:

I think this is true just by the fact eventually he might even get it accidentally wrong. The one thing I will say, if a HC/GM starts getting wins, I don't see Tepper's ego driving a wedge in that. He wants a winner and once he has that he will let it ride. 

I'm not a fan of betting on people who have no idea what they're doing getting lucky.