• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

What a circus. It’s like Tepper brought a Bravo TV style reality drama with rich drunk woman fighting. 

I actually switched the tv channel off the Panthers game this past Sunday and started watching Women of Wrestling.  More entertainment value and my blood pressure immediately dropped back to normal.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't call it "coming to terms" so much as new information.

My ideal situation would have had Fitterer and Reich being given more time to build the team together. That went out the window when Reich was fired, so from that point on I stopped caring whether they kept Fitterer or not.

Hearing what we're hearing now though, It doesn't sound like they were ever actually "working together" to begin with. In fact, it sounds more like Fitterer helped sabotage him.

Jones mentioned some NFL executives think the proper move would have been to fire Fitterer and keep Reich. Not sure that would have worked either at this point, unless Frank were allowed to remake his staff with only his own choices.

I said when.  I know you aren't there yet.   

Goes back to why I wanted Fitt fired with Rhule.  Because you then had a GM and HC paired up.....that have unique and separate timelines.  Different worries.  I'll make exceptions for great HCs or great GMs.  None of which we employed. 

Going up for that first overall pick meant more for Fitt and Tepper than Frank.  Because they were coming off the Rhule era stink in Carolina.  They needed "us" to view things and them drastically different. 

One takeaway from this article that nobody else has mentioned...

We have a lot of leakers in the organization. 

Under JR, the building was relatively tight-lipped. It now seems EVERYTHING gets leaked. Trade rumors, free agent interest, personnel decisions, business decisions, and now all of this drama.

The number one sign of dysfunction in an org is when folks start broadcasting the poo show.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I really can't blame Reich now. He was checked out before the season even began and now we know why. Dude went full 'fire me so I can retire' in the pre-season. That stinks to see as a fan but I think I would have done the same. That place sounds like a hellscape of a job to have to work 80+ hours. 

I definitely think at some point he mentally checked out. Given the situation, it'd be hard not to.

The only question is when It happened.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also this from Jones ...

Fitterer...helped Reich make the decision to draft Young over C.J. Stroud

"Helped" 😕

More recently, I've started to believe that Fitterer may have been the driving force behind convincing Tupper that Bryce Young was the right pick. 

We heard rumors back around draft time that Reich preferred Stroud. McCown also seemed to be of that disposition.

But whether Tepper preferred young himself (or was persuaded to), Fitterer convinced Reich to change his mind or just held the trump card that Tepper was on his side in the decision, the end result would be the same.

Fitterer comes off terrible in every article and update. I think he’s gone as soon as the season is over.

Many of the stories and reports all link back to this one press conference.  First 30 seconds talks about Fitt overwhelming conviction for Bryce based on years of study.  Reich talked about commitment to the process, then about hearing Fitt and the scouts' conviction in the meeting.  Then Tepp steps up to give his views about Bryce, the trade, the expectations, etc...  This is probably the most important press conference that reporters use in current stories.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, TNPanther said:

One takeaway from this article that nobody else has mentioned...

We have a lot of leakers in the organization. 

Under JR, the building was relatively tight-lipped. It now seems EVERYTHING gets leaked. Trade rumors, free agent interest, personnel decisions, business decisions, and now all of this drama.

The number one sign of dysfunction in an org is when folks start broadcasting the poo show.

Yeah, that's a pretty clear sign that Tepper is not exactly "beloved".

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, nctommy said:

Many of the stories and reports all link back to this one press conference.  First 30 seconds talks about Fitt overwhelming conviction for Bryce based on years of study.  Reich talked about commitment to the process, then about hearing Fitt and the scouts' conviction in the meeting.  Then Tepp steps up to give his views about Bryce, the trade, the expectations, etc...  This is probably the most important press conference that reporters use in current stories.  

Oy 😳

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Open Arms Feeling Yourself Sticker - Open Arms Feeling Yourself King Of The  World - Discover & Share GIFs

as I have told you, open arms whenever you are ready to come to terms with Fitt. 

when Tepper was talking about his point guard and being able to invest so heavily elsewhere, he was talking like a GM sold him on the idea.    And I still think the Jaycee Horn pick was a Fitt creation too.  It's why I was scared we would waste a top pick on a DB.  Fitt coming from a franchise that won off D and secondary play.  That was the Seattle blueprint for success. 

Fitts too obsessed with trying to recreate the Seahawks and Legion of Boom. 

His first year as GM - Draft Horn, Trade for CJ Henderson, Trade for Gilmore

Now, he wants his own 5'10 Russell Wilson in Bryce Young when an NFL QB was staring them in the face with CJ stroud

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

Fitterer comes off terrible in every article and update. I think he’s gone as soon as the season is over.

There's no way you can keep him now, not with a story out there that he was talking to the owner about Frank behind his back.

No head coach is going to want to work in that kind of environment.

• Pie 5

Just now, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Fitts too obsessed with trying to recreate the Seahawks and Legion of Boom. 

His first year as GM - Draft Horn, Trade for CJ Henderson, Trade for Gilmore

Now, he wants his own 5'10 Russell Wilson in Bryce Young when an NFL QB was staring them in the face with CJ stroud

I think it's very possible Russell Wilson may have influenced his thinking.

Also can't help feeling the whole bit about Reich "overprotecting" Young gives me Pete Carroll-Russell Wilson vibes.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's no way you can keep him now, not with a story out there that he was talking to the owner about Frank behind his back.

No head coach is going to want to work in that kind of environment.

And that is the best news of the day. There is no way to avoid a reset. Now, who will lead said reset? A new president of football or similar would immediately start the healing among the supporters and is the smart move.

Just now, Martin said:

And that is the best news of the day. There is no way to avoid a reset. Now, who will lead said reset? A new president of football or similar would immediately start the healing among the supporters and is the smart move.

My opinion on that is pretty well known.

The only alternative to that I can see would be hiring Brandon Hunt with the promise that he has absolute power and Tepper will keep his hands completely off.

Have mentioned that I like Will McClay also but I don't know if he's obtainable. 

• Pie 1