• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For QB Development: WR vs TE

SaltAndPepper

5 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I’ll die on the TE hill. Every successful team in the modern NFL has one. 

You’ll also note that our success took a nose dive when Olsen left Carolina. While others left around the same time it’s still not a coincidence. 

Bingo!  I was wanting to draft Olsen's replacement the season after he broke his foot and bring the rookie along slowly under Greg's mentorship.

I was wanting Dallas Goedert in the 2nd round, here's how he panned out:

image.png.fff61c1d87c303aa73e0c0e32e4c1d75.png

Now, while not Greg Olsen-like numbers, still pretty dang solid.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Bingo!  I was wanting to draft Olsen's replacement the season after he broke his foot and bring the rookie along slowly under Greg's mentorship.

averaging about 50 catches a year, 600ish yards per and 3 tds seems per seems a bit lackluster for a second

te's just feel like they take forever to become really good contributors and rarely to me, warrant where they were drafted

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

averaging about 50 catches a year, 600ish yards per and 3 tds seems per seems a bit lackluster for a second

te's just feel like they take forever to become really good contributors and rarely to me, warrant where they were drafted

True, but then everyone thinks TEs should but up Kittle and Kelcy numbers.  In reality, a handful of TDs over 500 yards and 50+ catches is a solid TE1.  We got spoiled with Greg; 1000 yard TEs are rare, so a TE even pushing towards that number is really good.

On 12/11/2023 at 8:35 PM, Shocker said:

I don’t hate you at all man.  I have a problem with people that follow the crowd no matter how ridiculous they might be.  Bryce needs at least a fair chance and 3 years with a competent staff.  People want instant gratification and that is the absolute wrong stance here.

Everyone can see how this team has zero talent on offense.  If Ikey isn’t good maybe Moton is ok?  It is a fuggin farce.

Add the atrocity of the play calling by these coaches and he has no shot

My agreement with you is sir 85%. The remaining 15% is between Bryce's footwork and accuracy on his deep passes the off chances that he's had to throw them, most of them weren't close to be completed. But you're right, we need to put him in a better situation. But honestly,  I think benching him and him watching AD the rest of the season will start that process...

37 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He’s been a key piece in that offense. Wouldn’t place him in the tier 1 category but we are working with the bottom of the barrel as he comes to the TE position so really anything would be an upgrade for us.

Still can’t believe how promising Thomas’s rookie season was, only for him to be one of our biggest busts in recent years.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, actually it's the sidelines where he struggles; it take more arm strength to hit those passes.  That's the reason Bryce likes in-breaking routes and also the reason DBs jump his throws...because everyone knows this.

I didn’t say he could throw to the sidelines, I said he couldn’t throw to the middle of the field. I should’ve said he can’t throw anywhere other than behind the line of scrimmage. 

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, actually it's the sidelines where he struggles; it take more arm strength to hit those passes.  That's the reason Bryce likes in-breaking routes and also the reason DBs jump his throws...because everyone knows this.

Now this is a fair assessment. I hate when folk just say Bryce sucks, he's not athletic, he has a weak arm - with nothing other than their opinion to justify it. Even though he's a very good running QB, overthrows WRs and has passes bounce off WRs hands and facemasks all the time. That doesn't scream weak arm talent.

Now deep outs are another story. It's concerning and I've noticed it too. I've also noticed that we don't run alot of those routes so it's difficult to tell if it's scheme or QB. Don't remember a true 15yard out even with Dalton out there so there's a possibility for both. Those deep outs also require a WR that can get out of their break without a bunch of steps to collect themselves (and not fade away from the ball). Honestly, don't think that guy is on the roster. Maybe Marsette? 

But agree, I'd love to see Bryce dig in and fire a deep out. Just to put the defense on notice. I think him trying deep passes is promising and hopefully he starts hitting them. But those misses aren't an arm strength problem. They're more a timing issue. That deep out is very telling. Big boy throw. 

• Pie 1