• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bad news for an old friend

Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Rivera seems like a legitimately good guy but I don't think he gave this team any lift beyond what a generic middle of the road NFL coach would provide.

Yea...he came from an era where brute force won games... his stoic attitude on the sidelines always pissed me off...had he displayed some Daboll charisma who knows how far that would stir the players... can't believe he couldn't do anything about the way Cam was getting murdered every week...

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Gettleman went into a season with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler as his starting OTs. Not because of injury or some other extenuating circumstances but because he thought that was a great plan. He yanked the tag on our best DB and then spammed picks at CB in order to field a secondary because he got butt hurt and just had to win a dick measuring contest. I was shocked by the firing at the time and bringing back Hurney on any capacity was Tepper level idiocy and mismanagement, but in hindsight Dave Gettleman 100% deserved to be fired.

Can't agree.

Dave made bad moves just like Marty made good moves, but It's the overall result that matters. And what can't be argued is that when Rivera / Gettleman ran things we had the most successful era of Panthers football ever, including a historic season.

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Hate to hear it for him but he inherited a bad team with a bad owner. Just did the best he could with it. Maybe the next coach can make something of it, maybe not... there's a lot of bad karma in that franchise that is still yet to be paid.

I'm betting Rivera will take a year off and then be back with the HC job in Chicago.

I definitely think Rivera is done. The game has passed him by and I just think he's lost his passion for it anyway. I can't see another team giving him another chance at this point.

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I definitely think Rivera is done. The game has passed him by and I just think he's lost his passion for it anyway. I can't see another team giving him another chance at this point.

Not as a head coach.

Don't know if he still lives in Charlotte but I'd probably take him as a linebacker coach.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Can't agree.

Dave made bad moves just like Marty made good moves, but It's the overall result that matters. And what can't be argued is that when Rivera/ Gettleman  ran things we had the most successful era of Panthers football ever, including a historic season.

Which was still inconsistent. Gettleman sucked. You've just never been able to swallow that bitter pill. The guy was a flash in the pan his first year when all of his bargain basement signings worked to perfection and key elite talents were able to carry a roster held together with duct tape and bailing wire. He just fell victim to his ego thinking he could build a roster out of duct tape and bailing wire every year. Then he went back to the Giants and tried to do the same thing and went 19-46 without Cam, Luke, and company. The guy was trash.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

rah rah give him hell type coaches like Wilks, ron, etc are being phased out by these up and coming wonderkids.   The game is much more complex then it was even 10 years ago.  Its way more schematic and constantly testing and looking for holes/weaknesses.  Those old school guys simply dont understand that nuance  

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He’s also just been through a lot. Beat the big C, stayed on coaching while needing to see the doc a ton. I respect the hell out of the guy but his time is near its end for a full time coaching role. He could be rather good in a defensive consulting spot. I just don’t see a guy with his je ne sais quoi settling into a position coach or even coordinator role again.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Which was still inconsistent. Gettleman sucked. You've just never been able to swallow that bitter pill. The guy was a flash in the pan his first year when all of his bargain basement signings worked to perfection and key elite talents were able to carry a roster held together with duct tape and bailing wire. He just fell victim to his ego thinking he could build a roster out of duct tape and bailing wire every year. Then he went back to the Giants and tried to do the same thing and went 19-46 without Cam, Luke, and company. The guy was trash.

how can you let an all pro walk and couldnt work it out and then draft 3 dbs back to back to back the next season...he was an ahole...not to mention the Smitty deal...

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Again, can't agree.

It's all about combinations. Rivera / Gettleman worked. And I'd love to have seen what would have happened had they been able to continue working off that 2017 draft.

Rivera / Hurney didn't work. Gettleman / Shurmur didn't work. Whatever working chemistry those two had just didn't transfer to anybody else.

Maybe it was the combination of nice and nasty that had a happy medium.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

rah rah give him hell type coaches like Wilks, ron, etc are being phased out by these up and coming wonderkids.   The game is much more complex then it was even 10 years ago.  Its way more schematic and constantly testing and looking for holes/weaknesses.  Those old school guys simply dont understand that nuance  

...thats why i would draft speed over big now...

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

This I would agree with.

Offenses now are becoming increasively complex, and league rules are no longer allowing defenses to just beat people up.