• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At this rate...

TN05

Just now, Captroop said:

He'd probably be among the league's leading rushers if a) we hadn't wasted so much time starting Sanders, and b) we weren't forcing the pass so much early in the season. The later part of this year has proven we actually have a pretty solid run-blocking line, and a quality rushing attack. And next year, Chuba could be a solid fantasy football RB2. He's that reliable.

Hubbard has been one of the bright spots this dismal season. He's not only proven himself to be our future every down back, but I've been really impressed by his pass blocking.

I like him as a RB2.  It's just a shame we got so much tied up in Sanders to get a RB1, a REAL RB1.  That's a shot at Sanders, not Chuba.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

He's plenty good enough. You don't need a true RB1 in today's NFL. You haven't for decades now but that hasn't stopped the Panthers from investing heavily in positions of yesteryear, namely RBs and off the ball LBs. Outside of a handful of truly elite players those are "fill the gap" positions with draft picks and/or low to mid-level FAs. We've sorely lacked at more crucial positions because we invest heavily in the wrong positions.

This.

As proven my McCaffrey on the 49ers, a game-changing back is the thing that puts your already great team into a championship quality team. We're not close.

If anything what we need is our bruiser. Our Foreman. Our Tolbert. The goal-line, 4th and 1 freight train. Especially since our QB is clearly not the guy you can count on once you get inside the 2 yard line.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Chuba is a solid RB. Nothing special but he's not a problem. Definitely the most improved player on the roster this year. By far.

I still think he was as good last year as this year. He had 4.9ypc last year, compared to 3.9ypc this year. The difference is that Foreman was actually a decent running mate (4.5ypc) and Foreman was the starter. Once we realized Fitterer made a bad acquisition and made Sanders (3.3 ypc) the backup, Chuba has put up better totals. Basically, Chuba has been Foreman this year and Sanders is 2022 Chuba just way worse.

Overall, the running game was more effective last year at 4.6ypc to this year’s 3.9 ypc. Chuba appears better than last year because only he and Thielen have looked like NFL level starters this year. Sanders, TEs, Young and the other WRs have looked like backups for any competent offense. Heck, the OL was much better last year too.

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He our best RB now, to be sure, but I don't think he's a true RB1.  Is he better than Sanders?  Between the tackles, absolutely and maybe better overall.

He’s definitely overrated here. He’s been fine but 3.9 ypc isn’t amazing. He’d be better if we had a passing game but he’s a nugget of silver in a pile of poo. He’s no nugget of gold like CMC but he’s been a bright spot on a terrible offense. He’s still  pretty replaceable like Singletary in Houston. Bills got rid of him to let Cook start and he’s been fine in Houston but he’s easily replaced. Swift got dumped by Detroit for Montgomery (dumped by Chicago) and Gibbs and he replaced Sanders with no issues. We just have a GM who legitimately can’t find talent anywhere and there was tons of cheap RB talent available.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I like him as a RB2.  It's just a shame we got so much tied up in Sanders to get a RB1, a REAL RB1.  That's a shot at Sanders, not Chuba.

What we need to do is stop treating RB like a premium position. Chuba is doing a solid job and we got him for a mid-round pick. This is how the majority of the league has been treating the RB position for the last 20 years now. Panthers fans just haven't noticed because we keep acting like this is the 1980s and spending premium picks and salary cap on a luxury position 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What we need to do is stop treating RB like a premium position. Chuba is doing a solid job and we got him for a mid-round pick. This is how the majority of the league has been treating the RB position for the last 20 years now. Panthers fans just haven't noticed because we keep acting like this is the 1980s and spending premium picks and salary cap on a luxury position 

Agreed. However, if an upgrade is available in the draft, say mid-round or FA at a decent cap figure, why not go that route?  He's developed into a decent NFL RB.  I mean Thielen was the other mention in this post, do we not upgrade if one is to be had?  I get what you are saying though, we invest too much at RB in an attempt upgrade, but it doesn't have to be that way.  We just have an incompetent GM that chooses to do it that way.

Edited by 45catfan

Every team has a Hubbard or better at RB.

The problem with Hubbard is he'll never make something out of nothing.  At least not consistently.  We don't need to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick at RB, or even a 3rd round pick.  But it would be nice to have someone more explosive out of the backfield.

Edited by Mage

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Agreed. However, if an upgrade is available in the draft, say mid-round or FA at a decent cap figure, why not go that route?  He's developed into a decent NFL RB.  I mean Thielen was the other mention in this post, do we not upgrade if one is to be had?  I get what you are saying though, we invest too much at RB in an attempt upgrade, but it doesn't have to be that way.  We just have an incompetent GM that chooses to do it that way.

I think you should always be looking at RBs in the mid to late rounds because you shouldn't be looking to pay RBs on a second contract.

• Pie 2

I'd love to draft a speedy guy in the third or later next draft to pair with Chuba. I think Chuba has the potential to be a Gus Edwards type member of a one two punch for us - potential to be a starter but thrives in a split carry role.

I was impressed with Chuba's improvement last season, and even more so this year. He's really made the most out of his opportunities.

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

He'd probably be among the league's leading rushers if a) we hadn't wasted so much time starting Sanders, and b) we weren't forcing the pass so much early in the season. The later part of this year has proven we actually have a pretty solid run-blocking line, and a quality rushing attack. And next year, Chuba could be a solid fantasy football RB2. He's that reliable.

Hubbard has been one of the bright spots this dismal season. He's not only proven himself to be our future every down back, but I've been really impressed by his pass blocking.

The thing that really impresses me about Hubbard is ball security. He doesn't fumble.

• Beer 1