• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Random article here for discussion: Panthers' Brian Burns addresses future amid another rough season

WarPanthers89

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Honestly, the difference between 30 million and 15 million per year in the overall scheme of your life is irrelevant.  Burns is gonna walk away from football with a MINIMUM of 100 million in the bank.  He is set for life.

If he really wants to be here - which is what he's saying - then the money shouldn't matter.

I still think we franchise him, just to protect our interests.  It's a $19 million offer, and it gives us the chance to see if we can still get those two firsts for him.  If someone were to offer him $25 million per season I would take the draft picks and RUN.

That's not the way it works. 

You wouldn't accept that line of logic at your own job either.

We offered $23 mil, apparently. That is a fair number(a little high for me, TBH).

But, we have telegraphed everything and allowed him and his agent to know we think he is the best DE in the NFL.

• Pie 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:32 PM, PootieNunu said:

With his down season in a contract year, he is looking more like a 15-20m player, if that. 

Since lots use pff on here.. (even though I'm not a huge fan myself) 

Pff has him rated the highest they've had in his career so far this season.  

His run grade is up to 67, pass rush in the low 80's, coverage at 85, overall at 76. 

It's Hard to get sacks when you're always loosing. (Most players sacks come from obvious passing situations) 

He doesn't like change, So it takes him a while for new schemes. He's dropping back more and has more responsibility in this scheme compared to last scheme.

They keep evero and he will take off even further next season under him. 

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Thats an incredibly odd statement to make.  If you watch the games, Burns has been completely invisible.  The announcers comment on it almost every week.

The Panthers defense faces the fewest pass plays in the league, teams run the ball nearly 50% of the time against them. 

Even then most of those passes are either off play action or short passes and screens. 

Pass rush doesn't exactly have a ton of chances when only facing 28 passing downs a game on average. 

Oh and the rush defense isn't bad, it's 12th in ypc at 4.1. 

I read this forum and I swear most don't watch games and if they do, they don't understand football.

Burns is doubled 15% of the time, he's 6th among all edge rushers in pass rush win rate at 24%. 

The Panthers overall are 12th in the league in pass rush win rate.. 

You can't get many sacks when other teams aren't. 

1. Thowing the ball much 

2. Throw off play action when they do pass deep or

3. Otherwise throw short quick passes against you. 

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

36 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

The Panthers defense faces the fewest pass plays in the league, teams run the ball nearly 50% of the time against them. 

Even then most of those passes are either off play action or short passes and screens. 

Pass rush doesn't exactly have a ton of chances when only facing 28 passing downs a game on average. 

Oh and the rush defense isn't bad, it's 12th in ypc at 4.1. 

I read this forum and I swear most don't watch games and if they do, they don't understand football.

Burns is doubled 15% of the time, he's 6th among all edge rushers in pass rush win rate at 24%. 

The Panthers overall are 12th in the league in pass rush win rate.. 

You can't get many sacks when other teams aren't. 

1. Thowing the ball much 

2. Throw off play action when they do pass deep or

3. Otherwise throw short quick passes against you. 

It’s not about his sack number.  It’s about having some kind of impact on the game.  Derrick Brown plays on the same team and makes an impact every week.

Im not saying he’s bad.  Hes just not the superstar some seem to think he is.

• Beer 3

11 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It’s not about his sack number.  It’s about having some kind of impact on the game.  Derrick Brown plays on the same team and makes an impact every week.

Im not saying he’s bad.  Hes just not the superstar some seem to think he is.

Exactly. No one rational would argue that Burns isn't a quality player. He's just not a game-changer, and if he were it would show up at some point regardless of number of chances. If it did then it may warrant game-changer money... however, in 5 years, it never has.

3 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Since lots use pff on here.. (even though I'm not a huge fan myself) 

Pff has him rated the highest they've had in his career so far this season.  

His run grade is up to 67, pass rush in the low 80's, coverage at 85, overall at 76. 

It's Hard to get sacks when you're always loosing. (Most players sacks come from obvious passing situations) 

He doesn't like change, So it takes him a while for new schemes. He's dropping back more and has more responsibility in this scheme compared to last scheme.

They keep evero and he will take off even further next season under him. 

Then they should tag him and see, he has earned nothing more than a one year prove it deal with his play on the field this season, not on some spread sheet.