• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic article on GM candidates

Mr. Scot

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our buddy Casillas had an interesting theory on that...

He thinks it's possible Fitterer gets "promoted" to a job where he continues all of his current administrative duties except making personnel decisions.

Fitterer Is said to be very well liked within the organization and is good at handling a lot of the day-to-day stuff.

This is what a lot of us used to hope would happen to Marty Hurney.

This move would make a lot of sense. As I mentioned in my other post, I think he does a fine job working the phones. I trust him to take a sixth round pick, and somehow turn it into two 5th round picks.

But he just simply Can. Not. Evaluate. Talent. Remove the personnel management responsibilities, and I think he's a valuable executive to have in the organization.

10 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

It doesn’t have to be a personnel spot with personnel say. Not advocating but I could see it happening with how things currently are.

well, I still say a competent GM can come in and handle everything.  We don't need to carve out part of their job and give it to Tepper's lap dog.  Job is already unattractive enough. That's just one more body in house to side with Tepper and not stand against him.  And Fitterer would really owe Tepper for that. 

so yeah, it could happen.  Everyone IMO should be 100% against it. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, I still say a competent GM can come in and handle everything.  We don't need to carve out part of their job and give it to Tepper's lap dog.  Job is already unattractive enough. That's just one more body in house to side with Tepper and not stand against him.  And Fitterer would really owe Tepper for that. 

so yeah, it could happen.  Everyone IMO should be 100% against it. 

sounds like something tepper would do. going to assemble the allstar front office with a million cooks.

• Beer 1

Scott Fitterer is a good little yes man and that's exactly what Tepper wants. I'll believe we'll have a real GM with real GM duties when I see actual evidence of such a thing. Seeing a legit veteran QB signed to have a legit camp competition with Bryce would be step 1.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our buddy Casillas had an interesting theory on that...

He thinks it's possible Fitterer gets "promoted" to a job where he continues all of his current administrative duties except making personnel decisions.

Fitterer Is said to be very well liked within the organization and is good at handling a lot of the day-to-day stuff.

This is what a lot of us used to hope would happen to Marty Hurney.

I'm 100% alright with that. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's specifically about the Commanders likely GM search and is written by a DC beat writer, but the information included applies to us as well.

Excerpts regarding a few people of interest, starting with...

Adam Peters (Assistant GM, 49ers)

The promotion of John Lynch to president of football operations means Peters could land a GM job by staying with the 49ers. A contingent of league sources wonder if that’s the Northern California native’s preferred option. Peters interviewed for the New York Giants’ GM vacancy in 2022 but declined meetings with the Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans for their 2023 openings.

Mention of him declining interviews just last year as well as potentially being in line for the 49ers GM spot makes this one sound highly unlikely.  He has said before that being GM of the 49ers is his dream job.

Ian Cunningham (Assistant GM, Chicago Bears)

Cunningham was tutored in front offices led by former Baltimore Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome and Philadelphia Eagles GM Howie Roseman. Those organizations are known for blending tape-watching and data in their player evaluation process. After nine seasons of scouting for the Ravens, Cunningham landed with the Eagles, where he served as director of college scouting (2017-18), assistant director of player personnel (2019-20) and director of player personnel (2021).

Cunningham interviewed for the Assistant GM job here before Dan Morgan was hired.

Joe Hortiz (Director of Player Personnel, Baltimore Ravens)

That means Hortiz contributed to Baltimore spending first-round picks on Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco in 2008 and wide receiver Zay Flowers in 2023. Talent acquisition is paramount to future success, but that goes beyond 40-yard times and tape evaluation. Hortiz, more of a behind-the-scenes executive, has insight into Baltimore’s culture and how it fits all the right pieces together. Before the Giants hired Joe Schoen, he was a leading candidate for their GM opening in 2022.

This, in my mind, should be one of the leading candidates for the job. Could potentially be paired with Ravens DC Mike McDonald If Tepper were willing to go with a defensive coach (unlikely)

Ray Agnew (Assistant GM, Detroit Lions)

Mentioning Ben Johnson will cause readers to pause on Agnew’s bio, considering there’s no hotter head-coaching candidate unless Taylor Swift shows up with a stopwatch at the Senior Bowl. Agnew, 56, isn’t a sexy name, but his resume is notable. Before landing in the Motor City, he served as director of pro personnel with the Rams (2017-20) as Los Angeles built a roster with a significant influx of outside talent. Detroit has approached roster building through the draft and has crushed with the selections of Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jahmyr Gibbs, Sam LaPorta and Brian Branch.

Johnson / Agnew is a combo that a lot of folks are interested in, but what's also interesting is the connections that the article notes besides Johnson.

Connections — Lions OC Ben Johnson, Lions DC Aaron Glenn, Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, Panthers OC Thomas Brown

Side Note: The article also includes a writeup on Colts Assistant GM Ed Dodd, but given that he already interviewed his Tepper once and then pulled out of the process shortly thereafter, I wouldn't make any bets on him.

Link: Commanders General Manager Candidates

What does this have to do with David Tepper throwing is cup filled with hot cocoa at some drunk fan's dumb face

• Pie 1

Just now, pantherclaw said:

I'm 100% alright with that. 

I mean, y'all are advocating for Fitterer to be co-GM.   That's what keeping all his current duties are excluding player personnel is. 

Good luck finding a good GM to come in here.  It's basically advocating for a similar approach Tepper/Fitt thought up for our new HC....but this time for the GM spot.  We got an all star front office now! 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, y'all are advocating for Fitterer to be co-GM.   That's what keeping all his current duties are excluding player personnel is. 

Good luck finding a good GM to come in here.  It's basically advocating for a similar approach Tepper/Fitt thought up for our new HC....but this time for the GM spot.  We got an all star front office now! 

Not co-gm. More like president.  

Tepper likes him and trusts him…for now.  The theory makes perfect sense  Our best hope is he gets “promoted” to a position where he doesn’t deal with player personnel.  As long as Tepper is still on board with Young, he will also be on board with the guy who helped guide that decision.

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

Not co-gm. More like president.  

I mean, the title can be whatever you want.   But if he retains all his duties but except for 1 carve out....it is what it is. How folks in house going to few that?     

Not sure why we want to make the new GM job any more unattractive than it already is.   We should just hire a competent GM.   A competent GM doesn't need a proven bad GM doing half his job.  Plus, our next GM/HC are going to be tasked with building a culture here.  Removing any sign of the Fitterer era Panthers.   

Panthers Owner David Tepper Throws Drink At Jaguars Fan

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Scott Fitterer is a good little yes man and that's exactly what Tepper wants. I'll believe we'll have a real GM with real GM duties when I see actual evidence of such a thing. Seeing a legit veteran QB signed to have a legit camp competition with Bryce would be step 1.

They’re gonna give Bryce 2-3 years regardless. There isn’t gonna be an actual competition in camp lol, at least not in year two. Now if we get an actual good coach and good skill players and he still struggles in year 2, then year 3 is where you might get what you’re asking for. And honestly by that point, if we’re bad next year they’ll probably be in range to draft another QB anyways lol. 

You don’t have to love the way he’s been playing this year but yall gotta at least take the fan cap off when it comes to how they’re gonna handle the QB situation. I think he’ll end up being good in the next few seasons but they aren’t gonna give up on him after 1 year with the worst team in the league. 

Just now, BlackPanther22 said:

They’re gonna give Bryce 2-3 years regardless. There isn’t gonna be an actual competition in camp lol, at least not in year two. Now if we get an actual good coach and good skill players and he still struggles in year 2, then year 3 is where you might get what you’re asking for. And honestly by that point, if we’re bad next year they’ll probably be in range to draft another QB anyways lol. 

You don’t have to love the way he’s been playing this year but yall gotta at least take the fan cap off when it comes to how they’re gonna handle the QB situation. I think he’ll end up being good in the next few seasons but they aren’t gonna give up on him after 1 year with the worst team in the league. 

We were the worst team in the league in part because Bryce Young was our QB. That's a hard truth to accept but it is what it is.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, the title can be whatever you want.   But if he retains all his duties but except for 1 carve out....it is what it is. How folks in house going to few that?     

Not sure why we want to make the new GM job any more unattractive than it already is.   We should just hire a competent GM.   A competent GM doesn't need a proven bad GM doing half his job.  Plus, our next GM/HC are going to be tasked with building a culture here.  Removing any sign of the Fitterer era Panthers.   

Panthers Owner David Tepper Throws Drink At Jaguars Fan

Look. I originally made another post, but the connection lost it while it was being processed. 

It spelled out the fact that ultimately what i desire is what I believe everyone desires. A strong, consistent winning team to root for. That takes strong leadership.  So whatever it takes to build that foundation and franchise.  

17 seasons without a single losing season for Mike Tomlin and the Steelers is pretty damn awesome.  

1 minute ago, BlackPanther22 said:

it's the NFL in 2024 though.  I think your argument would be 100% spot on years ago.  Players don't get the time they used to get.  Plus you have to factor in the new HC angle.   I don't see how Bryce can suck again next year and get a year 3 as our starter.  New HC will be done with Bryce. New HCs got no time for the prior eras guys.   And no one gets the time they once did.  Coaches nor players.