• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

season is over, are there ANY bryce believers left on this board?

1 minute ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

You forgot where most don't remain in the league though. There are WAY more rookie QBs who ride the bench or leave the league than have a rough first season then become stars. WAY more. But we've already said you're the Panters #1 fan. I don't know why you keep responding to people.

Because I can.. 

You forgot most 1st round picks are given more then 1 seasons for all that to happen..

Sincerly the Panthers number 1 fan!!

17 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

And just remember that Bryce's best game was when his #1 receiver made plays that 95% of #1 receivers would make 95% of the time. Though I'm pretty sure he had a few drops early in that game too.

The receiving Corp was a collection of 3s and 4s that no defense respected or feared as threats. Couple that with an oline that went on long streaks of horrible play with a couple of decent moments sprinkled in here and there, and not sure what I should/could have expected from the QB. He's not the type of athlete to force his will. He seems like the type of QB that takes what you give him. Brees was essentially that guy too. But he did it at a very high level and he had a playcaller that could scheme his butt off. Bad human being but a great play caller/schemer.

I disagree about the WRs not being a threat. That was about Bryce not being a threat to throw anything deep accurately. The D knew that and sat on the short routes knowing he could not beat them deep, which he proved them right all year. 

BY is so physically limited that it made the whole team suffer since the D only had to cover a limited playbook. They also baited him time after time and he fell for it most times (see INT's and bad throws). 

Until we all accept that BY will never amount to anything here, the better we will be with expectations. We sold the farm for a backup QB. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, recceice said:

Because I can.. 

You forgot most 1st round picks are given more then 1 seasons for all that to happen..

Sincerly the Panthers number 1 fan!!

I'm sure there's a nerd out there willing to do the stats for drafted QBs and how long the are a starter and of course 1st Round QBs ... but I'm not about to do that. Obviously non 1st will be largely leaning toward bench riders or out of the league because there's only 32 teams. But I'd be willing to bet 1st rounders are 50/50. Half remain starter and half do not.

Any nerds out there?

It feels like Bryce needs a Purdy type situation to look like anything like an average starter. All his limitations (lack of deep ball, footwork etc.) have been highlighted this year because of the crap situation he was put in. We need more than an average starter to go back to the playoffs on a regular basis, and I don’t see it in Bryce.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, 33inNC said:

I disagree about the WRs not being a threat. That was about Bryce not being a threat to throw anything deep accurately. The D knew that and sat on the short routes knowing he could not beat them deep, which he proved them right all year. 

BY is so physically limited that it made the whole team suffer since the D only had to cover a limited playbook. They also baited him time after time and he fell for it most times (see INT's and bad throws). 

Until we all accept that BY will never amount to anything here, the better we will be with expectations. We sold the farm for a backup QB. 

IMHO Mingo would have similar stats to the three WRs that Stroud has helped become names in Houston.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Sacked 62 times this season--roughly 4 per game.  With 509 passing attempts, that is 1 sack per about 8  attempts. If you consider how often he was forced into a throwaway or bad pass, then it is difficult to imagine how any QB could succeed in this environment.  His WRs were rarely open and for most of the season, he had 40% of his OL on IR.  His TEs were not much help.  Furthermore, the Panthers were the 8th most penalized team in the NFL; The Panthers were undisciplined and made many unforced errors, especially the OL.  What about his weaponry?  Chark dropped 4 passes on 66 targets.  (To put that into perspective, last season Justin Jefferson, often the focus of the defense, dropped 5 passes on 184 targets).  Adam Theilen was targeted 137 times and had 6 drops.  Mingo had 85 targets and five drops.  TMJ was targeted 33 times and had 2 drops.  Remember, they are not getting open, but when they do, they drop the ball much too often.

Defenses could stunt and blitz all they wanted.  The running game did not set up the passing game--the Panthers were predictable.  They could not run the ball behind Jensen, Jackson, Mays--so they ran the ball wider with more success.  Once that was shut down, the teams could blitz A gaps or they could drop 8 in a wide zone, taking away the flats.  Since DTs could penetrate through Jensen/Mays/Jackson, throwing drag routes was difficult, which would have been the solution under normal circumstances.

My point?  I am skeptical and afraid, but I will be damned if I am going to give up on Bryce when he was given this mess.  Tom Brady in his prime would have struggled here.  Not an exaggeration.  On TV, you see the QB, the hesitation, and the panic.  They said the same things about Tua in Miami, if you remember.  Too early to tell, but I bet you $100 if Bryce went to a team like SF, Seattle, or even Denver, he would be successful.

Sacks are listed on QB's stat sheet for a reason, because it's more of a QB stat. It reflects poorly on a QB if he's sacked too many times, unless the O-line is truly horrible, which ours isn't.

Edited by BenjaminBreeg

1 minute ago, 33inNC said:

I promise you that DBs don't sit on receivers because they don't think a QB can beat them deep. It's about not respecting the receiver's ability to get open on them. No DB can outrun a pass. 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

IMHO Mingo would have similar stats to the three WRs that Stroud has helped become names in Houston.

I would agree if I didn’t watch the games and saw Mingo route running issues and catching in traffic issues..

But he also gets the rookie excuse imo.. He isn’t to blame for Fitt drafting earlier then his college tape showed.. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

Sacks are listed on QB's stat sheet for a reason, because it's more of a QB stat. It reflects poorly on a QB if he's sacked too many times, unless the O-line is truly horrible, which ours isn't.

You full of poo.. If you can’t see how bad this Oline was and how badly Ickey regressed then your literary blind.. And sacks are not a Qb stats Alone who lie to you..

4 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Only because the plays scheme him open and the line gives his QB time to find him. And that's assuming he doesn't drop the first two balls a game that hit him in the face/hands.

2 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I promise you that DBs don't sit on receivers because they don't think a QB can beat them deep. It's about not respecting the receiver's ability to get open on them. No DB can outrun a pass. 

To many ppl play madden then actually watch and know football.. lol

Just now, Navy_football said:

Only because the plays scheme him open and the line gives his QB time to find him. And that's assuming he doesn't drop the first two balls a game that hit him in the face/hands.

Maybe they know in an alternate universe. All I know is that Nico Collins, Noah Brown, and Tank Dell were not household names. But hey, if they lucked out and got three studs to go along with their stud QB, Houston is going to be around for a good bit.

• Pie 1

Just ask yourself: is there any way you see this guy threatening to get to a Super Bowl?

His performance this year was laughable outside of one half and two drives. He is already smaller than 99% of historical NFL players outside of kickers and punters. His arm strength on corner and sideline throws is high school level and he can be brought down if you fart on him. 

He’ll get next season because Tepper can’t take any more hits for being impatient right now. But he’s not the guy and the sooner someone in charge realizes that the better.

• Pie 2

Considering what we gave up David Tepper should never be allowed to make a football decision again. He tried casting blame on the organization as a whole but he said he had veto power. The person with veto power always has say, it’s like the president. Because the people presenting the option to him want to please him so it’s not vetoed. The amount of kids who looked up to Bryce is immeasurable. There was a sense of well if Bryce can do it I can do it amongst small minority children around CLT. Tepper destroyed their dreams. Screw Tepper.

• Pie 1