• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

14 minutes ago, Martin said:

The Eagles have built a very talented roster, but currently have really bad coaching after both coordinators left last year. Your “… Using that logic you could argue for Brian Johnson…” argument is really poor. I’m personally not a fan of the org as a whole, but wow you are way off with that logic.

Probably helps to be a little clearer on my part here...

Howie Roseman isn't a great personnel guy or a great coach, but what he has been good at in the past is hiring people who were.

Unfortunately between he and Jeffrey Lurie, he's also part of a culture that tends to undermine those guys and shoot its own wounded.

That's definitely not something I want to import here.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, ain't you the dude who thinks the only real reason Fitterer should of been fired was because he stabbed Frank in the back.....not the fact he was the worst GM in franchise history that made Marty Hurney look like the greatest football mind in the history of the sport? 

same dude who argued tooth and nail that Fitterer just had to be brought back once we fired Rhule and ended that nightmare era? 

but once again, it's everyone else that isn't making good points. 

Not really, but I'm used to you mischaracterizing my ideas to make it easier for you to argue with them 😄

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not really, but I'm used to you mischaracterizing my ideas to make it easier for you to argue with them 😄

you defended Fitterer until the end and only said he should be fired for stabbing Frank in the back.   Not that he should be fired for just being an overall nightmare trainwreck GM (which he was) if you put aside the Game of Thrones report that came out.  Not a thing mischaracterized about that. 

and you certainly argued this time last year that Scott Fitterer absolutely had to remain and not go w/ Rhule.  Nothing mischaracterized about that either. 

whenever people call you out on being wrong....it's always some not really retort.  Again, no one cares if anyone is actually wrong.  Everyone here is and often.  But how you choose to go about it is rather unique.  That's all.  Have a day.   

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Unfortunately between he and Jeffrey Lurie, he's also part of a culture that tends to undermine those guys and shoot its own wounded.

To play devil's advocate.  If Tepper is as bad as most think he is, then would hiring a candidate from a similar organization be a bad thing?  After all, "iron sharpens iron".  I'm not saying that in defense in how they get the job done, but maybe we need a GM as ruthless and cutthroat as Tepper if we want to make this work.  Because that same person will know how to check Tepper.  After all Philly has been able to maintain success in spite of it.  

Edited by Mage

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

you defended Fitterer until the end and only said he should be fired for stabbing Frank in the back.   Not that he should be fired for just being an overall nightmare trainwreck GM (which he was) if you put aside the Game of Thrones report that came out.  Not a thing mischaracterized about that. 

and you certainly argued this time last year that Scott Fitterer absolutely had to remain and not go w/ Rhule.  Nothing mischaracterized about that either. 

whenever people call you out on being wrong....it's always some not really retort.  Again, no one cares if anyone is actually wrong.  Everyone here is and often.  But how you choose to go about it is rather unique.  That's all.  Have a day.   

Firing Fitterer just because you fired Rhule was always a stupid argument. Likewise, judging Fitterer without context of the situation / transition was flawed.

What I had hoped for was time for Reich and Fitterer to work and grow together, but given what we know now that was never going to happen.

I also see again that you're going with the tactic of accusing your debate opponent of the things that you actually do. Granted that works sometimes, but it's weak 😄

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Mage said:

To play devil's advocate.  If Tepper is as bad as most think he is, then would hiring a candidate from a similar organization be a bad thing?  After all, "iron sharpens iron".  I'm not saying that in defense in how they get the job done, but maybe we need a GM as ruthless and cutthroat as Tepper if we want to make this work.  Because that same person will know how to check Tepper.  After all Philly has been able to maintain success in spite of it.  

Lemme flip the question...

If you were a fan of another team and you had seen what happened with us regarding the whole "Hunger Games" thing this past season, would you want your team to hire somebody from the Panthers?

I'd agree we need somebody who's strong enough to stand up to Tepper, but I prefer it be someone who doesn't use underhanded tactics.

And for the record, the guy I would most recommend as fitting that description is Ed Dodds.

Edited by Mr. Scot

With the benefit of hindsight I think all of us should be able to agree by now Fitterer and Rhule absolutely should have been fired together.

It made as much sense as keeping Hurney after firing Rivera.

I really hope some people don't fool themselves into idolizing our next GM before they've proven anything here. At least let them come in and draft some good football players. Then we'll talk.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 5

Just now, frankw said:

With the benefit of hindsight I think all of us should be able to agree by now Fitterer and Rhule absolutely should have been fired together.

It made as much sense as keeping Hurney after firing Rivera.

I really hope some people don't fool themselves into idolizing out next GM before they've proven anything here. At least let them come in and draft some good football players. Then we'll talk.

Nah. Still would have been pointless.

What we've needed most, and probably still need, is non-interference from the owner's box.

The next hire might be good or they might not, but unless Tepper takes his hands off things, we might never know.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nah. Still would have been pointless.

What we've needed most, and probably still need, is non-interference from the owner's box.

The next hire might be good or they might not, but unless Tepper takes his hands off things, we might never know.

Pointless? We gave him the keys to waste another entire draft. Every time he made splash moves he got more desperate and we got worse somehow.

We need to hire people who aren't interested in being brown nosers but football people. Unfortunately that's not in David Teppers wheelhouse.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you were a fan of another team and you had seen what happened with us regarding the whole "Hunger Games" thing this past season, would you want your team to hire somebody from the Panthers?

I mean the Panthers suck lol so no.  But if in this hypothetical the Panthers were in the playoff race almost every year and had recently been to a Super Bowl, then yeah I wouldn't be against my team hiring them despite the dysfunction.  Because on the outside looking in, it would seem like someone who has been in an environment with dysfunction and still found success because of it. 

Say whatever you want about Howie Roseman but he's always got those Eagles playing with talent and winning games.  Yeah maybe he uses underhanded tactics but I just think maybe that is what we need with an owner like Tepper, so if Halaby follows in his footsteps then by all means.  I mean I get why someone would be against that, I understand.  I just want to win, really.  So I don't care how it gets done.  It just needs to get done.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I also see again that you're going with the tactic of accusing your debate opponent of the things that you actually do. Granted that works sometimes, but it's weak 😄

Please feel free to share one where you called Fitterer out for being a horrific GM here....that isn't focused on him going behind Frank's back.   

and you should of fired Fitterer w/ Rhule because the era was nothing but bad.  Comedy stupid bad.  It's a pointless gamble to guess how much was Rhule's fault vs Fitterer....and then argue because you opted to blame Rhule for more than his fare that meant Fitterer somehow wasn't bad during that window.  Fitt didn't have the resume for that type grace to be applied.   

Things often aren't that complicated.  People pretend things are overly complicated often though. 

Panthers have been pretty easy to figure out the last several years.  What went wrong and frankly what is going wrong in real time.   

• Pie 1

@frankw it still has to be pointless with him, because even with hindsight being applied and Fitterer being a certified worthless dope....that would have still meant Scott was wrong in hindsight.  There actually was no way for anything to of worked out better for us than the way Scott said it should of been lol. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, frankw said:

We need to hire people who aren't interested in being brown nosers but football people. Unfortunately that's not in David Teppers wheelhouse.

I'd agree. But how do you do that when the guy in charge of doing the hiring wants exactly that kind of person?