• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Brian Burns Get Tagged?

chknwing

If our incompetent front office thought, he wasn't worth elite pass rusher money then what makes you think any other NFL team will think he's worth it? I say you slap the Non-exclusive franchise tag on him and say if you think you're worth it then go get a deal. Either A he accepts the offer we have on the table once he sees that no other team will pony up the money he's looking for or B a team pays him elite money and we get 2 1st round picks and wipe our hands clean of this whole mess. 

11 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

If our incompetent front office thought, he wasn't worth elite pass rusher money then what makes you think any other NFL team will think he's worth it? I say you slap the Non-exclusive franchise tag on him and say if you think you're worth it then go get a deal. Either A he accepts the offer we have on the table once he sees that no other team will pony up the money he's looking for or B a team pays him elite money and we get 2 1st round picks and wipe our hands clean of this whole mess. 

and we potentially tie up a big portion of our cap on a dude that doesn't want to be here and becomes problematic.  Ending up with a guy not worth big cap hit of the tag....that ties the hands of a team with no talent from adding needed talent. 

for me, it thought Burns has been positioning himself for two things.  To rip off us and stay here for absurd money.....or force his out of a losing franchise if we wouldn't be dumb. 

• Beer 1

It only takes 1 team to make the trade happen. At this point an early 2nd looks better than him walking, though at this point I am ok with that too. Can't fix what the moron who was just fired broke. Never thought I would see worse than Gettleman or Hurney and  wow was I wrong.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

There is zero reason to retain Burns if they're not going to have a true bookend to put on the other side of him. These rotational guys just aren't a big enough impact to be starters IMO. 

And that does impact your sack total.  If the offense only has 1 edge rusher to block--they focus on Burns.  We flipped him around and used him in coverage at times--that means we are hoping that the offense struggles to adjust to his pre snap alignment or that they put 2 blockers on him and he drops into the flat in coverage and we send a blitzing DB or LB instead.  Either way, that does hurt his ability to get as many sacks as TJ Watt, who has Highsmith on the other side.  Heck, the Steelers have Nick Herbig too, and he is better than all Panther Edge rushers not named Burns.

They should tag him if they’ve got a trade partner lined up. Otherwise unless he will sign for a team friendly deal, it’s better to let him walk. This team needs 5 nickels to be competitive next year instead of 1 quarter.