• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With the entire season behind us, what's the worst team in Panthers history?

TN05

Which season was the worst in team history?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. With the entire season behind us, what's the worst team in Panthers history?

9 minutes ago, blackcat said:

Hard for me to tell as I watched about 2 hours of the 2023 team attempt to play football.  I think we had higher expectations heading into 23 than 10, so that makes it more disappointing for me.

The 2009 team had finished really strong and would have made the playoffs probably if Delhomme hadn’t started all year. Matt Moore looked good in the reserve role and there was some hype for Clausen, so there was some hope the 2010 team wasn’t going to be a total dumpster fire.

We were actually competitive most weeks in 2001.

2010 was bad 2023 was equally as bad. I would give the tiebreaker to 2023 being the worst though because we don’t have a 1st rounder to look forward to. And despite the record, I think the 1998 season was harder to watch than the 2001 season. It was so dysfunctional.

1. 2023

2. 2010

3. 1998

4. 2001 (Despite record)

2001 had an average NFL roster. 2010 had a ton of talent on both sides of the ball - on offense alone they had Smitty, Gross, Kalil and double trouble. Heck Wharton would have been the best olineman on the 2023 squad. And CJ would have killed Bryce. 

2023 was bad offensively. The only players that would have started on the 2010 squad are Bryce and Moton. 

2023 was without a doubt the worst. 2001 & 2010 were expected to be bad seasons before the opening day game. 2023 was suppose to be an immediate all-in improvement on a 7 win roster to win a weak division.

The QB move (most expensive in NFL history) destroyed the team & now that QB is being forced on a legit rebuild. The opening day offensive roster from 2022 less Anderson, add Thielen/Chark, trade Burns & the 2023 offensive coaching staff would have won the division. May have even won the division with Dalton after choosing to lose CMC & DJ Moore. The Panthers should have added Jalen Carter to strengthen their defense. Then they have 2 first round picks in 2024 & 2025 after likely winning a weak division.

That's how I see it.

2 hours ago, djp14 said:

Yep. 

2001 was a brutal season to watch, mostly because of all the close losses. Six losses by 3 points or less, and two more by 4-6 points.

I still remember specifically Ricky Williams scoring on a run play on the last play of the saints game. I also remember that team losing a huge lead against Buffalo late in the season and a two score lead against Washington. They were also competitive against the rams in Charlotte. They didn’t really quit until the last two games.