• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Commanders want Ben Johnson

Lame Duck

They are fast and aggressive.

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reports the Commanders are targeting Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson as top choice for head coach.

The highly coveted Ben Johnson has had interview requests from the Commanders, Titans, and Falcons, with interest from nearly every head coaching vacancy. Russini reports that the Commanders have Johnson as their “top choice” while the Panthers are also hoping to land him. The Commanders just hired 49ers assistant Adam Peters as general manager and are now looking to revamp the team with a budding offensive mind in Johnson.

They've already landed a very promising GM candidate. They have going for them what we had going for us a few years ago. Namely the intrigue of a new owner who might end up being good. Now we have the opposite situation. The proven worst owner in the league. We aren't getting candidates that other teams want unless Tepper is willing to pay them WAY more and even then it's unlikely to matter because he'll meddle them to death anyway.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They've already landed a very promising GM candidate. They have going for them what we had going for us a few years ago. Namely the intrigue of a new owner who might end up being good. Now we have the opposite situation. The proven worst owner in the league. We aren't getting candidates that other teams want unless Tepper is willing to pay them WAY more and even then it's unlikely to matter because he'll meddle them to death anyway.

Yep, that’s why I posted that.  I think Ben Johnson is as good as gone.  I still think Tepper will hire Bill Belichick because… well… Tepper is a moron.  

• Pie 2

It's incredible to watch them go do what is impossible for Tepper. Lucky fans to get ownership that does that well that quick but they did have a long time under Snyder. They are building their house the right way and it still looks like Tepper is about to do his thing again with the same crappy outcome. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Lame Duck said:

Yep, that’s why I posted that.  I think Ben Johnson is as good as gone.  I still think Tepper will hire Bill Belichick because… well… Tepper is a moron.  

He looks like he is about to build a Frankenstein of stupidity that will look a lot like last year's well built machine...I don't think Bill comes here unless he wants to retire with one last huge payday.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He looks like he is about to build a Frankenstein of stupidity that will look a lot like last year's well built machine...I don't think Bill comes here unless he wants to retire with one last huge payday.

I think that’s Bill goal honestly.  He’s about to turn 72 and barely have anything left in the tank.  He’s looking for one last big payday and guess who can and likely will deliver?

Also, it’s a chance for Tepper to at least try to sell some tickets and save face.

Edited by Lame Duck
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

I honestly think Belichick would only come here if he's stopped caring about winning and potentially adding to his legacy and is just looking to ride off into retirement with the biggest bank account possible. Honestly, if I was him I'd just retire before coming to the Panthers. He's gotta already have way more money than he'll ever need.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think Belichick would only come here if he's stopped caring about winning and potentially adding to his legacy and is just looking to ride off into retirement with the biggest bank account possible. Honestly, if I was him I'd just retire before coming to the Panthers. He's gotta already have way more money than he'll ever need.

Bill is actually interested in Panthers job.  He inquired about the Panthers in late December.  About a week ago there was an interview with Bill and he said he’s not ready to retire just yet.  He said he still wants to take on project and make it successful.  

Edited by Lame Duck

6 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

I think that’s Bill goal honestly.  He’s about to turn 72 and barely have anything left in the tank.  He’s looking for one last big payday and guess who can and likely will deliver?

Also, it’s a chance for Tepper to at least try to sell some tickets and save face.

Logically that makes sense. Unfortunately he is stubborn and might actually want to just keep doing what he loves...at least until he works under Tepper for an offseason. That looks to make anyone not overpromoted or much younger to want to retire. 

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Logically that makes sense. Unfortunately he is stubborn and might actually want to just keep doing what he loves...at least until he works under Tepper for an offseason. That looks to make anyone not overpromoted or much younger to want to retire. 

Would it shock anyone if we hired Belichick and he just up and quit before the season? I could see him taking the podium and saying something to the effect of...

"Look, I wanted another project before I called it quits. I wanted to help one of the worst franchises in the league right themselves. I always respected the Panthers. I won my first Super Bowl against them. When Ron Rivera was here with Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly they competed against us as well as any team in the league. But David Tepper is a fuging moron who refuses to be helped. I have six rings already. I don't need this. I apologize to Panthers fans but this isn't what I signed up for. This was not our agreement, so I'm resigning effective immediately."

• Beer 3

13 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

Bill wants to beat Shula’s win total record.

He’s not doing that here.