• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In a deep qb class should the panther take one day 3?

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

He was one of those that could skip his senior year in hs and did to enroll in osu early.   I mean he is keeping manning on the bench so he must be doing something right and believe it when I say I got sick of hearing how awesome manning was in high school

yeah if he is keeping a Manning on the bench he must have something going for him for sure! Early entry to college explains his age and him having some time to still grow and this year to work on his accuracy who knows what he could turn into but does sound like a fun prospect to keep an eye on. We are Panthers fans so it doesnt take much to get us excited about QB's after some of what we have seen as far as QB play goes since Cam left.

15 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I miss a QB with a cannon for an arm. I dont mean to poo on Bryce but every time he throws I just dont see the lightning pop behind it that makes me think he can make any and all the throws especially the deep ones.

Bryce's ceiling is mid-tier in the NFL and that's even if we can get him there.  Deep outs are Bryce's Achilles heel.  He doesn't the arm talent to get the ball to that section of the field with enough mustard to keep from getting defended easily or picked.  He doesn't have the height to step up in the pocket, which limits his ability to see the shallow crossers unobstructed, let alone keep the ball from being batted down.  So the flats and medium-to-longer in-breaking routes are his comfort zones.  Shot passes for Bryce are seam routes.  Opposing teams caught onto this and made him take the throws he's uncomfortable with.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Bryce's ceiling is mid-tier in the NFL and that's even if we can get him there.  Deep outs are Bryce's Achilles heel.  He doesn't the arm talent to get the ball to that section of the field with enough mustard to keep from getting defended easily or picked.  He doesn't have the height to step up in the pocket, which limits his ability to see the shallow crossers unobstructed, let alone keep the ball from being batted down.  So the flats and medium-to-longer in-breaking routes are his comfort zones.  Shot passes for Bryce are seam routes.  Opposing teams caught onto this and made him take the throws he's uncomfortable with.

That evaluation of yours while I can tell is very true is none the less depressing. Mid-tier is maybe okay for a backup but not for us fans wanting to see us win a super bowl. Bryce seems like he is probably a nice guy but unfortunately that doesnt win games or complete deep outs or push the ball down the field. Bummer all the way around currently where we are.

30 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I guess im going to as well. You all have me curious as to who this guy is now. Big arm and athletic is always nice! I take it he has some size on him as well?

He's kinda stocky, compact and fairly athletic, built similarly to Baker Mayfield (college) with the same gunslinger mentality.  Throws well off platform and has a range of throwing motions.  Really good arm, but I would not call it elite. Anyway, that would be my comp at this time. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I would not draft any QB this draft. Let Bryce either get it and become something good or lead us to a high draft pick so we can draft his replacement next season.

We need high draft picks in every round and will need as many of them as they can get. They will earn them naturally as long as they face the reality that this team is not a win now team. They are not just 1 or 2 players away from the playoffs. They are 40 to 50 players away and should operate as such. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He's kinda stocky, compact and fairly athletic, built similarly to Baker Mayfield (college) with the same gunslinger mentality.  Throws well off platform and has a range of throwing motions.  Really good arm, but I would not call it elite. Anyway, that would be my comp at this time. 

he definitely has potential depending on what he looks like this upcoming season and how much he can further develop but lets face it, my bar is set pretty low as far as QB's go unfortunately. I mean I seriously got excited last year when I saw Bryce complete a pass that was over 15 yards. Im probably a horrible talent evaluator at this point due to anything getting me excited. Im like the ex con just released from prison after 10 years that will take any woman home that barks his way being so hard up at this point.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

We need high draft picks in every round and will need as many of them as they can get. They will earn them naturally as long as they face the reality that this team is not a win now team. They are not just 1 or 2 players away from the playoffs. They are 40 to 50 players away and should operate as such. 

Isnt that sad when you think about it? 40-50 players away. Its almost comical but it is most definitely true

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Isnt that sad when you think about it? 40-50 players away. Its almost comical but it is most definitely true

This team wasted so many draft picks thinking they were ready to compete.  Granted the draft is a crap shoot but you need as many shots at the pool as you can get, especially when you suck at drafting anyway.  You don't start throwing money at high priced FA's when the majority of the roster should not even be on the team. I feel like I'm talking to crazy people. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Ewers' arm strength is also a weakness. Just saying if you are hating on Bryce for his arm, Ewer's isn't much of an upgrade IMO.  I kind of like Sanders in the 25 class, but his arm isn't elite either...

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This team wasted so many draft picks thinking the were ready to compete.  Granted the draft is a crap shoot but you need as many shots at the pool as you can get, especially when you suck at drafting anyway.  You don't start throwing money at high priced FA's when the majority of the roster should not even be on the team. I feel like I'm talking to crazy people. 

I hope the new leadership are better talent evaluators than what we have had. We have wasted tons of valuable draft picks and really dont have much to show for it at all.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Ewers' arm strength is also a weakness. Just saying if you are hating on Bryce for his arm, Ewer's isn't much of an upgrade IMO.  I kind of like Sanders in the 25 class, but his arm isn't elite either...

Yup and unless something drastically changes, they are likely QB1 and QB2 next draft.  Neither of them are franchise material to me.  Cam Ward may climb up the board to make it a 3 person race for the top QB, but again, not an elite prospect either.

Just now, Ricky Prickles said:

I hope the new leadership are better talent evaluators than what we have had. We have wasted tons of valuable draft picks and really dont have much to show for it at all.

It will be crucial for their success.  The saying "you build through the draft" is a proven fact. You use free agency to fill in a hole or 2 AFTER you have a consistent playoff caliber team. You cannot build a consistent playoff caliber team with high priced FA's and a bunch of scrubs. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Sanders also takes a lot of sacks.  I know he doesn't have the greatest OL but lot of that is just on Sanders himself and his decision making.