• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Deadline

4 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

No Pono or Nikishin.

We have some other prospects and draft picks that can get us there I believe.

I should say FUS is off the table too. The dude is gonna be a cross between TT and Necas. 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

What are the odds we unload KK? Would like to get that salary off the books.

His salary does not fit his play. That said I don’t think he’s going to be as bad as people are believing this season. 

Honestly, when KK is playing well he is being paid fairly - it's just he needs to bring that kind of play every night.  He's inconsistent and won't reach the ceiling scouts thought he had, but (and I know people hate when someone says this about an athlete) he has flashes/games where he has shown what he is capable of.

I spoke about trading Pesce or Skjei, but we just can't this year even though I believe the time is somewhat right to move on from Pesce as much as I like him....Skjei is the better player we need to retain.

I agree with Chief above that I would be willing to move Morrow and Philly's 2nd round pick we own this year and maybe a second or third in 2025 for a scorer a la Guentzel or Buchnevic.  Less for the other forwards on the market.  I would hope if we do trade Morrow we sign Chatty and Skjei in the off season because I believe we may be one D man down to start 24-25.

• Beer 1

Honestly, when KK is playing well he is being paid fairly - it's just he needs to bring that kind of play every night.  He's inconsistent and won't reach the ceiling scouts thought he had, but (and I know people hate when someone says this about an athlete) he has flashes/games where he has shown what he is capable of.

I spoke about trading Pesce or Skjei, but we just can't this year even though I believe the time is somewhat right to move on from Pesce as much as I like him....Skjei is the better player we need to retain.

I agree with Chief above that I would be willing to move Morrow and Philly's 2nd round pick we own this year and maybe a second or third in 2025 for a scorer a la Guentzel or Buchnevic.  Less for the other forwards on the market.  I would hope if we do trade Morrow we sign Chatty and Skjei in the off season because I believe we may be one D man down to start 24-25.

55 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

His salary does not fit his play. That said I don’t think he’s going to be as bad as people are believing this season. 

31 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I don’t think it's about "bad." He is just getting paid more than he is worth and you can't keep everyone. I am just not sure I see a scenario where in 3 years we look at him and say that deal with worth it. Not to say he is a bad player at all.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I don’t think it's about "bad." He is just getting paid more than he is worth and you can't keep everyone. I am just not sure I see a scenario where in 3 years we look at him and say that deal with worth it. Not to say he is a bad player at all.

He definitely isn’t playing anywhere close to his contract.   When he plays, he looks like his confidence is gone. Unfortunately, unless we can get a third team involved to eat some of his salary in exchange for a pick, like the trade we were a part of last week for a 6th round pick, we eat salary, he isn’t going anywhere. I bet, if anything, if we make trades, he is a healthy scratch. 

Truthfully, I’ve met KK twice. Very nice kid but he is the least productive player on the active roster and getting paid like a top player.  The let Trocheck go in hopes KK would be that guy. Hindsight, they should have signed Troch and let KK play his way into a good contract 

Unfortunately, nice players that aren’t playing well don’t win you cups.  It’s a business and we gotta make moves if we wanna win it all this year. 

Edited by Panthers Fan 69
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

99.9 is having the convo right now and I agree with them.  Why are we so stingy with our players and money?  It hasn’t worked yet on winning a cup or even getting to it. They agree on Pono and Nikisin but others, if it makes you better and nets you a cup, you have to do it. Settling for bargains isn’t working. It’s time to pull the trigger on the guy from Pittsburgh or the dude from The ducks. Sorry I’m lazy and not looking up how to spell their names. But you make that move. If it’s expensive but nets a cup and a parade downtown Raleigh you do it. At some point, this window will pass and if a cup or 2 isn’t won with this group and rod, it will go down as one of the greatest blunders in NC sports. Like 2015 panthers over and over and over. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

Personally…

I’d move Ponomarev for an extended Guentzel. Nadeau, Blake, Koivunen, and FUS are right on Ponomarev’s tail and we don’t have room for all of them.

I definitely wouldn’t move Nikishin in any package and I wouldn’t move Morrow unless he’s indicated that he won’t sign with us. Literally every single defensemen we have will have their contract expire in the next two years. Having Nikishin (in two years) and Morrow (next year) on their ELC’s would be very beneficial.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

I'm usually against moving prospects for anyone at or north of 30 years old in this league. Having Pono for the next 5 years will likely pay off a lot more than a Jake Guentzel for the next 1 or 2 (maybe) seasons.

I have to believe Pesce is in play right now and I'm okay with it. Chatty is ready to move up to the 2nd pair and TDA could slot into the 3rd pair. Orlov can also play his off side with Skjei. At least the Canes have options on the blue line.

• Pie 2