• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 49ers Super Bowl problem

kungfoodude

3 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I think it's going to take a very special team to unseat Mahomes. The talent on the 49ers outclassed the Chiefs at so many positions, but Mahomes elevated that team like no one I've ever seen.  He's the best quarterback to ever play the game in my opinion.  I think Rodgers is probably a distant second.  

Rodgers didn't do this in playoffs.  Tom Brady is still the best based on doing it for two decades but Mahomes will unseat him if he continues for another 6 or 7 years.  

• Beer 1

49ers lack a elite QB it's really that simple.

They made the SB with Jimmy G. They have the most talented roster in football. No excuses why any legit QB can't win a SB with that roster.

Purdy was getting MVP hype and I still never understood why. He had multiple chances to put this game out of hand. They literally had the game in their hands yet they kept stalling. It was only a matter of time before Mahomes took over.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

Rodgers didn't do this in playoffs.  Tom Brady is still the best based on doing it for two decades but Mahomes will unseat him if he continues for another 6 or 7 years.  

When I evaluate a QB I take the overall body of work into account alongside the supporting cast.  Rodgers threw exactly one touchdown pass in his entire career to a first round pick.  They also never drafted a single skill position player in the first round in his entire career.  I think, had Rodgers had capable players at the skill positions, he'd have 4 or 5 rings.  The Packers just never invested in anything to back him up.  

Frankly, it's a foregone conclusion to me that (barring injury) Mahomes will probably win 10 superbowls, and 6 or 7 league MVPs when it's all said and done.  He so dramatically outclasses anyone to ever play the position that it's almost like he's a madden create-a-player.

I think Purdy is getting too much blame for this loss.

1)He didn't have any turnovers.

2)He didn't take any big sacks that cost them points or knocked them out of scoring range

3)He didn't fumble away a scoring opportunity in the red-zone (ie:CMC)

4) He wasn't on the field when the muffed punt occurred in the 3rd quarter. This is where KC got the big momentum swing. All Ray-Ray had to do was fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up to run.

5) He didn't miss any extra points.

When the 49ers needed to score to take the lead or tie the game in the 2nd half, he came through. Had this game been played under the old OT rules he'd be a SB champion today.

Let's not forget that this was his first full season as a starter. Not bad for a 7th round pick. He should get better with time. He could have played better, but I don't see how anyone can blame the loss  mainly on him.

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think Purdy is getting too much blame for this loss.

1)He didn't have any turnovers.

2)He didn't take any big sacks that cost them points or knocked them out of scoring range

3)He didn't fumble away a scoring opportunity in the red-zone (ie:CMC)

4) He wasn't on the field when the muffed punt occurred in the 3rd quarter. This is where KC got the big momentum swing. All Ray-Ray had to do was fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up to run.

5) He didn't miss any extra points.

When the 49ers needed to score to take the lead or tie the game in the 2nd half, he came through. Had this game been played under the old OT rules he'd be a SB champion today.

Let's not forget that this was his first full season as a starter. Not bad for a 7th round pick. He should get better with time. He could have played better, but I don't see how anyone can blame the loss  mainly on him.

I wouldnt blame the loss solely on Purdy and he has done a heck of a job from where he started. He may not be Mahomes or Tom Brady but he is a decent QB and has a future. Who knows, he may develop further and become even better each season. He gets a lot of hate and I dont really get it. He seems like a likeable humble guy and him being an underdog to me makes him easy to root for to have a good career (not against the Panthers of course).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

49ers lack a elite QB it's really that simple.

They made the SB with Jimmy G. They have the most talented roster in football. No excuses why any legit QB can't win a SB with that roster.

Purdy was getting MVP hype and I still never understood why. He had multiple chances to put this game out of hand. They literally had the game in their hands yet they kept stalling. It was only a matter of time before Mahomes took over.

Having a truly elite QB is such a hard thing to obtain though. How many guys right now would you label a for real 100% elite currently? Mahomes for sure but who else would you say currently?

51 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Shanahan reminds me of Tom Landry.

Landry was super intelligent...and arguably the only guy in NFL history during the SB era who could be his own own offensive and defensive coordinator. Yet, the Cowboys often chocked in big games under Landry. He tended to over analyze things and make big mistakes in crucial moments of championship games. Pete Gent (North Dallas Forty author) has said he never understood how someone so smart would freeze up at the worst possible times.

The Cowboys were preseason favorites to win the championship from 1967-1970 and fell short every year. Each loss was to a less talented team. Landry finally got over the hump in 1971 when Staubach took over at the QB position. 

Shanahan has lost 2 SB's to Reid. And both times his team outplayed KC for the majority of the game. His offense lost their first half momentum in both losses. He was also the OC for Atlanta when they blew a 28-3 to NE and lost the SB. He needs to figure out why his teams can't put games away when it counts. Had his teams scored 1 more TD in the 2nd half in any of the above 3 SB losses, they would have walked away as world champions. 

• Beer 2

Crazy people are still clinging to the narrative that if Shanahan force fed McCaffrey even more they definitely would have won. He had 30 touches already.

Your QB has to get the job done. It was always Purdy vs Mahomes.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Thats pretty rough and uncalled for to do to that old overweight guy. He could have been pissed screaming without practically knocking the old guy down.

Found the explanation...

FB_IMG_1707756508090.thumb.jpg.f89e56f2368813c5a8edd8a1b8640c0c.jpg

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Having a truly elite QB is such a hard thing to obtain though. How many guys right now would you label a for real 100% elite currently? Mahomes for sure but who else would you say currently?

Any top 10 QB can win a SB with that 49ers roster.

If Purdy is a top 10 QB he should have won that game. The team was favored for a reason. Elite QBs don't need much, but Purdy has shown you even with the best roster in the NFL he still can't get it done.

It was apparent from the start the 49ers clearly had the better team. No way any other top 10 QB doesn't close that game.

Can you imagine Burrow/Lamar/Allen/Herbert even Stroud with that roster?

• Beer 2