• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

the joys of turning into an old(er) man

rayzor

Had the shingles years ago on my lower neck just above my collar bone. That wasn't fun. Last year I started to get similar looking bumps in nearly the same spot. I used some benadryl cream on the place for a week or so and it went away, so I'm not sure if it was shingles again or not.

Anyway, enjoy getting older!

• Beer 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:19 PM, rayzor said:

Had annual physical today. Not a bit of it fun of course, but got the shingles vaccine. Really not fun.

I mean really....not fun.

Got the shingles vaccine (2 dose) and both shots kicked my ass for a good day or two.   Hell of a lot better than getting shingles but it’s the only vaccine that’s ever triggered a strong reaction.   

it sucks because you feel sick but in the back of your mind you know your just fake sick so you try to function like normal and still feel just as awful as you would if you were really sick.   Made that mistake with the first dose. 

Second dose I just crawled into bed. 

48 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Got the shingles vaccine (2 dose) and both shots kicked my ass for a good day or two.   Hell of a lot better than getting shingles but it’s the only vaccine that’s ever triggered a strong reaction.   

it sucks because you feel sick but in the back of your mind you know your just fake sick so you try to function like normal and still feel just as awful as you would if you were really sick.   Made that mistake with the first dose. 

Second dose I just crawled into bed. 

I already had taken Friday off and had plans to go out of town for the weekend. I had that running through my mind....I'm not really sick. It's all in my head. We didn't leave until Friday afternoon and I r tired to be normal but I've just felt like crap. It's getting better now, but I really should have stayed home. Next time I am just going to throw in the towel and stay home. No use in messing around with it.

• Pie 2

On 2/28/2024 at 9:04 AM, CRA said:

personally, on the journey of getting old(er)....I have been really excited about the crazy and super growth of ear and nose hair. 

it's overrated. grow your hair long and they don't notice the ear hair so much. btw, it's little more painful than you'd think not as bad as yanking nose hair, but still not a great feeling. will wake you up when you're tired and trying to drive, though.

I could not be more thankful that I still have my health and mental faculties and I just turned 68. 

I walk a couple miles on a trail thru the woods every morning with our 2 dogs; I try to always have a project going on- refinishing or re-imagining a piece of furniture; tinkering in my shop.

We've been doing Home Chef for over 4 years now- 3 dinners a week. That's as good as my diet gets. 

Couple minor injuries have kept me out of the gym for some time, but I feel ready to get back to a regular treadmill and weight training 3 times a week.

Volunteer work is a day a week, but fulfills my need to be of service.

Mom passed at 93 and dad is still kickin' it at 96, so maybe I've got a few more years.

Oh, and when you hit Medicare age, you're getting a "physical" every 6 months. One of those is just a "wellness check." Had any falls lately? Know what day of the week it is? Who's the president?

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:58 AM, rayzor said:

it's overrated. grow your hair long and they don't notice the ear hair so much. btw, it's little more painful than you'd think not as bad as yanking nose hair, but still not a great feeling. will wake you up when you're tired and trying to drive, though.

My morning yesterday, got 5 hairs in one pull.