• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales "I'd like to take the pressure off the quarterback to be a part of what the offense is doing rather than a feature of it"

rayzor

we're at ground zero with bryce. he's got tools that made him successful in the same areas that all others drafted before him were. he didn't do things the same way, but he found ways to make it work. the hope is that canales, idzik, and harriger (the QB coach) can work with bryce well enough to get us in a productive offense. 

he is what he is and we've got him for a while. if anyone can help him make that year two trend upward, i think it's canales. 

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Who do you think was the best QB in college? 

Bryce was probably the best QB in college in 2021. He wasn't top 5 in 2022. Caleb Williams was better. Drake Maye was better. C.J. Stroud was better. Hell, Max Duggan, Bo Nix, Penix, even Sam Hartman were better. This is why that laughable talking point that Bryce was having to carry inferior talent at ALABAMA of all places started popping up.

45 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Man I watched every game and The QB School on Youtube and yes, BY left some throws out there, but it was a combo of so many things. Bad pass blocking, WR not getting open, Chark dropping everything and poor play design. 

I think better play calling will clean up a lot of this... and getting Chark some stickem. 

or just get rid of chark. was he on a one year deal? upgrade him in the draft. we should be walking out of that draft with at least 2 good pass catchers that will be a huge upgrade from what we had to deal with last year. bar not set particularly high, but still...time for a WR upgrade. guys that can get open and actually catch the ball.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bryce was probably the best QB in college in 2021. He wasn't top 5 in 2022. Caleb Williams was better. Drake Maye was better. C.J. Stroud was better. Hell, Max Duggan, Bo Nix, Penix, even Sam Hartman were better. This is why that laughable talking point that Bryce was having to carry inferior talent at ALABAMA of all places started popping up.

What exactly are you basing this on? 

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

He's keeping it vague for the cameras but he's basically talking about the same offense he ran in Tampa

I guess I'm going to have to find some clips and do some research (you know, like what percentage Baker played under center). I'd just like to see him say---and maybe he has---that he's going to design an offense around Bryce Young's strengths. [I kinda chuckled when I said "Young's strengths," but I'm admittedly being overly negative] Mayfield and Young are hardly the same QB, and we don't have a Mike Evans.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, TN05 said:

We made the playoffs 4/5 seasons from 2013 to 2017, and had a winning franchise record until Tepper took over.

We only got accustomed to mediocrity after Tepper blew up the organization with his meddling

Yeah, making the playoffs four out of five seasons sounds great on the surface, but we still haven't had two back-to-back winning seasons. If I wasn't a Panthers fan, I'd think that was unbelievable. Sure, we can fool ourselves into thinking that pre-Tepper that historically we were a fine franchise, but we were more fair to middling. Under Tepper we've just stunk. My desire is for us to get in that top echelon of teams, or at least right before it.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

at least he's not calling him a gawtdayum "point guard" and saying it doesn't matter who they have cuz he'll just make it better. It's a realistic stance IMHO. It's a team sport, not just QB and friends

honestly after the first year, it doesn't matter where a guy was drafted. they'll either do good or they won't. 

and they (QBs), if everything works out they are just one part and they shouldn't have to carry the team on their shoulders. Cam did and where did that get us?

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

What exactly are you basing this on? 

I mean, if you are just using statistics, it might be a tough sell that he was even the best SEC QB that year.   

I could argue he was the 3rd best QB in the SEC in 2022.    

IMO, Bryce Young was clearly trending downward after his initial season.  I mean, he only played 2 so that's probably not the fairest way to view it but. 

36 minutes ago, rayzor said:

honestly after the first year, it doesn't matter where a guy was drafted. they'll either do good or they won't. 

and they (QBs), if everything works out they are just one part and they shouldn't have to carry the team on their shoulders. Cam did and where did that get us?

the most successful window of our franchise's history? Nationally relevant? A bad game away from one of the greatest season's in NFL history?  

I mean, I'd take that ride again in heartbeat. 

• Pie 2