• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on evaluating roster: "I have the benefit of not having an emotional connection"

rayzor

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

MacDonald interviewed with us.  Harbaugh's camp reach out to us.  You could probably argue Harbaugh wouldn't have taken the job he was just trying to increase his demand, but MacDonald is super green and not really turning down anyone.  He was one of the last ones hired if I remember correctly.  

So there wasn't some line of potential head coaches that refused to coach here because of one player or the owner.  That's all I am saying.  MacDonald is as much of a gamble and Canales.  Who know who will work out?

macdonald was hired on the 31.  Ravens lost on the 28th.   I suspect that deal was in place for a while.

You simply dont know who said no to morgan/tepper or even what they said.  its a game, but you have to admit its telling that nobody else interviewed DC, not even his long time team.  That is simply inarguable.  Why wouldnt the seahawks at least bring him in to interview just for experience?

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

macdonald was hired on the 31.  Ravens lost on the 28th.   I suspect that deal was in place for a while.

You simply dont know who said no to morgan/tepper or even what they said.  its a game, but you have to admit its telling that nobody else interviewed DC, not even his long time team.  That is simply inarguable.  Why wouldnt the seahawks at least bring him in to interview just for experience?

MacDonald took that Seattle job when every other job was filled aside from Washington.  Hell Seattle brought in Evero for a second interview.  I'm not sure you do that when you already have a guy in place.  Regardless he interviewed here and didn't refuse to talk to us or work with us like what is being suggested.  

The Seahawks just forced Carroll to retire.  They appear to be starting new.  Hiring a guy that coached under him for a decade wouldn't necessarily do that.  They also didn't hire his son for any position as he came to work with Canales.  I'm not saying Canales is a rockstar.  Ideally you would have liked for him to do it again as the play caller.  He is definitely a gamble, but most are.  I'm just confused at this notion that no one else would come here when he interviewed the guy you saw as the top candidate who is also very green.  He has been DC for two years for a team that is loaded on defense and always has a solid defense.  Before that he was the DC for Harbaugh's loaded Michigan defense who didn't really miss a beat when he left.  

Personally I kind of like Slowik, but he was very raw and green as a playcaller as well.  I like Johnson too, but who didn't? I wanted an offensive guy because DCs seem easier to fill and keep steady than OCs.  

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

oh no doubt.  Tepper is it.  The McAdoo hire imo was the first real sign of what we had become....was seen by the rest of the NFL world. 

Firing Rivera mid-season left a bad taste in the mouths of NFL lifers. Yeah, Rivera deserved to be fired but he didn't deserve to be fired mid-season. That's kinda whatever because no one would've ultimately cared if he got the replacement hire right. But he didn't. He went out and hired a college coach of a third tier program whose philosophy of riding good D with serviceable offense doesn't really translate on the modern NFL. He paired that with a hot shot college OC who had never actually called plays before then scapegoats that guy when he clearly wasn't the issue. That's when the red flags started flying for me. Oh, Tepper will scapegoat folks to protect the guy he went all in on. Then he knee jerk fires Rhule mere weeks into the season when everyone thought he should've been fired at the end of the previous season, plugging in a seasoned DC and former NFL HC in Wilks to "audition". Wilks rights the ship and we end up being average down the stretch but he's not retained and Tepper hires a retread offensive guy to pair with the QB he's gonna draft. The QB looks like a total flop and the coach doesn't make it through the season. There's that scapegoating again.

It's a mess and it all points back to David Tepper.

44 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, there was legit reporting the Panthers were doing a lot of work behind the scenes to make sure they weren't even rejected for interview requests.  Carolina seems in total damage control.  Interviews often serve tons of purposes.  You could probably reasonably argue some rolled in here with no real intent on taking it.  It's interview practice for some.  League folks have talked about that for awhile.  It's some simply not wanting to turn down an offer.  For some it may be trying to leverage other jobs and get them to make a move.  I mean, we know that type bologna all happens.  Did it happen here? who knows.  This is offseason imagination time.  You can think up all sorts of stuff that could be plausible. 

I mean, maybe they didn't offer jobs to certain people because they knew the answer.  Maybe they found out the real answer before an offer. 

I think Dan Morgan job is the best indicator that Carolina didn't have TONS of options in reality.  Given the search firm talk and ending up doing that in the end. 

But who were these mysterious qualified coaches that turned us down to the jobs else where? Morris? Dan Quinn???

I get being skeptical on Morgan but we also hired Tilis away from one of the best organizations in the league. How were we able to do that if no one wanted to be here?

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

But who were these mysterious qualified coaches that turned us down to the jobs else where? Morris? Dan Quinn???

I get being skeptical on Morgan but we also hired Tilis away from one of the best organizations in the league. How were we able to do that if no one wanted to be here?

Well, again, I think where it is really more evident is with the GM hire than the HC.  That’s where I stick on that that convo.

reality is college was off the table.  Some of these were a no go in the candidate pool like a Vrabel, Harabugh, Belichick given Tepper ain’t meshing with that.   A couple retreads and that largely was off the table.  We just did that too.   So the pickings were just tiny for HC for us in terms of the type of HC Tepper could stomach that would enrage his fan base off Rhule/Reich.  But I feel GM was different.  I think that was a much bigger pool and less stuff was off limits…..and I don’t believe a search firm would have had Dan Morgan #1.  

38 minutes ago, csx said:

I don't get the point of continuing to whine about the hires right now. Everything that can be said has been said thousands of times already 

They just started doing press the past couple days so people are going to have reactions lol. Since we don't have a 1st round pick and pick 33 is probably bpa even mock drafts are pretty fuging pointless this year

24 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

They just started doing press the past couple days so people are going to have reactions lol. Since we don't have a 1st round pick and pick 33 is probably bpa even mock drafts are pretty fuging pointless this year

But harping on how many interviews each guy got and when isn't reactions to anything being said in recent interviews.

It's odd how disinterested people are in the combine. I get that not having a first changes things but draft success is alot more about mid and late rounds than round 1.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, bandu said:

yeah it just wouldn't make sense to disagree with someone for the most part & continue to call them a close friend.if so, that's a strange relationship.

It would be a lot more strange if friends agreed on everything 

2 minutes ago, csx said:

But harping on how many interviews each guy got and when isn't reactions to anything being said in recent interviews.

It's odd how disinterested people are in the combine. I get that not having a first changes things but draft success is alot more about mid and late rounds than round 1.

Yeah, I mean we need every position so bpa all day. I didn't find this past college season particularly interesting so I'm just gonna wait til we pick guys and look them up. I guess once we see what happens in free agency we can get a better idea of needs and start diving into the mocks but until then theres nothing to really pick apart aside from the staff media appearances

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, I mean we need every position so bpa all day. I didn't find this past college season particularly interesting so I'm just gonna wait til we pick guys and look them up. I guess once we see what happens in free agency we can get a better idea of needs and start diving into the mocks but until then theres nothing to really pick apart aside from the staff media appearances

To me regime changes are the most interesting offseasons. Unfortunately we've had too many recently.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, csx said:

To me regime changes are the most interesting offseasons. Unfortunately we've had too many recently.

Yeah we obviously would be best off with an owner change so we're kinda just sitting around waiting for Tepper to stumble into the right hire or draft pick. He's playing real life fantasy football/gambling with human beings. At least he's not at the combine!