• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on evaluating roster: "I have the benefit of not having an emotional connection"

rayzor

Good stuff on his philosophy in evaluating roster. 

Yeah...he's saying all the right stuff, but it's the mindset we need to get this team right. if they are serious about having them "dawgs" on the roster and there are a few who have been hanging around who were dogging it or just serial underperformers, hopefully they feel ok with moving on. Canales comes across like a players coach, which is fine...unless he coddles them, especially older vets like rivera did. 

we still have yet to see what he and morgan actually do, but i'm giving the the benefit of the doubt. 

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

The gameplan talk has been encouraging but I'm waiting to see some edge or something unexpected from him. He's still in new hire best behavior mode but the youth pastor energy is going to get old quick when we're 0-3. Can you really foster a dog mentality in the locker room when the QB and head coach are Nice Guys?

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

true, but that's not the case for Tepper, Morgan, etc.  The dudes who ultimately determine the roster and helped get us here. 

one (of many things) that i'm hoping is that Morgan wasn't happy with personnel decisions that he ended up having to comply with and would rather move on from some that were here before. it's his chance to get the roster right and i really hope he cares about making the panthers better and is willing to work with canales and make cuts wherever needed.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

The gameplan talk has been encouraging but I'm waiting to see some edge or something unexpected from him. He's still in new hire best behavior mode but the youth pastor energy is going to get old quick when we're 0-3. Can you really foster a dog mentality in the locker room when the QB and head coach are Nice Guys?

i think canales has an advantage over coaches like rivera and reich in that since he was never a pro player, he's not sympathetic to the plights of older vets. and since he doesn't know these guys he won't have any kind of emotional dilemma in cutting players. this will probably be the easiest year to do that, but i hope he actually does it and that he's consistent with that approach in future years.

rivera, though, was really frustrating because he didn't want to move on from vets because he knew what it was like to be one and get moved on from so he avoided it. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

one (of many things) that i'm hoping is that Morgan wasn't happy with personnel decisions that he ended up having to comply with and would rather move on from some that were here before. it's his chance to get the roster right and i really hope he cares about making the panthers better and is willing to work with canales and make cuts wherever needed.

I mean, that is no doubt the hope.  No way to know for sure, I just find it doubtful Morgan disagreed with all the bad moves.  Got to think he was like minded to some extent.    

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not buying what any of they are saying until I actually see it happen.  Talk is cheap. Results are the only thing that matters. 

we've heard talk since rhule walked in the door. all we heard all camp last year was tepper talk from players saying bryce is goat. i'm over the talk and not falling for it. If they go out and get a playmaker at WR, make an actual splash in free agency, i'll be intrigued. this team can't draft b/c of tepper and nicole. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, that is no doubt the hope.  No way to know for sure, I just find it doubtful Morgan disagreed with all the bad moves.  Got to think he was like minded to some extent.    

It all really depended on how the draft fell I’m sure. The last one was the only one without Rhule overriding. Did Morgan’s guys fall to our spots or was it more Fitt’s guys? We know Fitt was all in on Bryce. I’m not sure who was pushing for Mingo, but Evero seemed hyped about DJ Johnson. Outside of that you have some late round guys. 

17 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

For the “all talk” crowd. It’s the offseason. There isn’t much else to talk about aside  from what our new staff is saying… 

I don’t know what they’re expecting in February? all anyone has is talk right now

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not buying what any of they are saying until I actually see it happen.  Talk is cheap. Results are the only thing that matters. 

Based on who hired both morgan and DC, and based off some of the other red flags that came up during the process and your post pretty much is how I feel as well.  Enough with the stupid coach speak.

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean he is on video agreeing with 2 of our poo draft picks (Johnson and robinson) and you have to think he agreed with the trade and selection of young since he ultimately got the job.  Tepper isnt going to keep him onboard if he though young was the wrong choice

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It all really depended on how the draft fell I’m sure. The last one was the only one without Rhule overriding. Did Morgan’s guys fall to our spots or was it more Fitt’s guys? We know Fitt was all in on Bryce. I’m not sure who was pushing for Mingo, but Evero seemed hyped about DJ Johnson. Outside of that you have some late round guys. 

see, I don't agree there.  There isn't much of an argument for Matt Rhule being all powerful and getting de facto GM his last season either.   He was a dead man walking in reality.  That's why he was fired a couple weeks into the season and even during that offseason had been intentionally put on the back burner. 

Matt Rhule had a line buried in a contract and people IMO ran way too far with it.   Some of the bad moves during the Rhule era where Matt Rhule influenced bad moves.  Some of the bad moves were just Fitt and company being just as bad at it.   I'm not down w/ using Matt Rhule as the catch all fall guy for where we are today.  It was also the front office.  Fitterer and his team.  

• Pie 2