• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Tradewinds & FA News

2 hours ago, HardcoreHokie said:

So the Patriots are apparently sold at QB at pick 3.

Drake Maye

Maye is talented, but New England is the last place I wanted him to land. He has nothing to work with. It will be a struggle early until thu put weapons around him.

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I saw a report awhile back that the Pats were expected to go with a veteran QB. No clue if that's accurate or not.

Honestly, with three really promising QBs I think they'd be well served to take a shot at one. Or maybe they like someone like Nix or Penix and think they can get him at the top of the 2nd or maybe trade back into the bottom of the 1st.

I forgot about the vet option. That's a good point. Maybe they take Harrison Jr. and sign a stopgap QB.

I think it will be hard for them to pass on Maye though.

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I saw a report awhile back that the Pats were expected to go with a veteran QB. No clue if that's accurate or not.

Honestly, with three really promising QBs I think they'd be well served to take a shot at one. Or maybe they like someone like Nix or Penix and think they can get him at the top of the 2nd or maybe trade back into the bottom of the 1st.

This could end up matching the 1983 class in terms of first round QBs.  I expect QBs to go 1,2,3 and then you have Minnesota and Denver.  I know that's only 5, but look for a team like Seattle to possibly take a stab or teams like the Saints or Raiders to move back up into the first round to snag the last QB to sit a season and learn behind a aging veteran whose cap savings are significant in 2025.

• Pie 1

Oh, throw in the Giants to move back up into round one mix too if they don't land a FA QB like Russell Wilson.  They can move on from Jones after this year without too much damage while sitting the rookie QB.  If the Steelers can't upgrade from Pickett, they may take a stab a #20.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, I think it's lying season in an attempt to get people to look for tea leaves that don't exist.  Unless Kirk Cousins, Justin Fields or Russell Wilson ends up in D.C. or New England, QBs will go 1,2,3.  Bank on it.  Neither of those situations are going to leave the QB question unaddressed.  We all know the Bears are taking a QB.

For sure with the Bears and WAS.  I'm just unsure about NE.  They're still a bit of a wildcard in my eyes and I think teams covet MH Jr. enough to at least call them.  Part of lying season is having this chatter about Odunze and Nabers being on par with Marv.  It's all fun/meaningless speculation but my 2 cents of it.

The way I see it, 2 teams have huge pressure to land a QB somehow and get it right - the Vikes and Giants.  Those two teams are going to be more aggressive than others with a new HC.  Daboll and O'Connell need to find their guy and get those teams in shape.  

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The way I see it, 2 teams have huge pressure to land a QB somehow and get it right - the Vikes and Giants.  Those two teams are going to be more aggressive than others with a new HC.  Daboll and O'Connell need to find their guy and get those teams in shape.  

That's why I think both will want to go with a vet. Will the GM and owns on the other hand is a different matter.  

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

That's why I think both will want to go with a vet. Will the GM and owns on the other hand is a different matter.  

If they aren't McCarthy/Penix/Nix fans, it definitely makes things interesting.  And it also is interesting the Bucs are willing to have Baker look around.

Per Vikes insider, they're eyeing him.  

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/baker-mayfield-kirk-cousins-nfl-buccaneers/

Could be a wild FA & build up to this draft.

• Beer 1

If I had the #3 pick in the draft and there were 3 QBs who could reasonably be expected to be starters in the NFL, I would never take a WR instead under any circumstance.

NE sorta settled a bit when they went with Jones, and I think that was BB's ego at work.  Humbled, if they trade back or don't take a QB, I would be totally shocked.

I can tell you that this first round, even though the Panthers are out, is going to be highly entertaining.  Popcorn will be flowing.  45 makes some good points about sleepers who will move up or could take a QB---JJ McCarthy is going to be an interesting pick.  He will be overdrafted, imo. 

• Beer 1