• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers now looking at pick 33 for center?

Jmac

Powers-Johnson is definitely not making it past 33, but he could shape up not making it past 25ish.  

With center, you can land a starter all the way to the 4th round..and there's a few instant-starting quality centers in this draft after P-J.  Barton is interesting.

Limmer, Frazier, Van Pran-Granger, Nourzad, Samac, Bortoloni all legit candidates in the 3rd-4th. Kind of drops after the Wisconsin kid.  

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Powers-Johnson is definitely not making it past 33, but he could shape up not making it past 25ish.  

With center, you can land a starter all the way to the 4th round..and there's a few instant-starting quality centers in this draft after P-J.  Barton is interesting.

Limmer, Frazier, Van Pran-Granger, Nourzad, Samac, Bortoloni all legit candidates in the 3rd-4th. Kind of drops after the Wisconsin kid.  

Yup, most reputable mock draft sites has Powers-Johnson gone in the back half or round 1.  The next two guys should be be available even in a trade back.  The FA market is actually pretty good at center this cycle.  It makes more sense to draft the WR and get the center in FA financially.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, most reputable mock draft sites has Powers-Johnson gone in the back half or round 1.  The next two guys should be be available even in a trade back.  The FA market is actually pretty good at center this cycle.  It makes more sense to draft the WR and get the center in FA financially.

This team has so little sure things that you can start anywhere, and grab anyone, anywhere in FA and the draft.  This feels so different than other seasons...we are as bare bones as it gets.

I would say Center is much more important these days with calling protections and helping out inexperienced QBs, so it's a good one to prioritize at start.  Get a guy you know you want for your scheme.  Bozeman wasn't it.  

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

This team has so little sure things that you can start anywhere, and grab anyone, anywhere in FA and the draft.  This feels so different than other seasons...we are as bare bones as it gets.

I would say Center is much more important these days with calling protections and helping out inexperienced QBs, so it's a good one to prioritize at start.  Get a guy you know you want for your scheme.  Bozeman wasn't it.  

Which FA centers do you like?  I don't think we draft one high unless Powers-Johnson falls to #33. After that, we wait until day 3.  Usually only 6-7 centers get drafted in any given year. It's skewed a little higher in recent years, but the bulk are still not taken until day 3.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Which FA centers do you like?  I don't think we draft one high unless Powers-Johnson falls to #33. After that, we wait until day 3.  Usually only 6-7 centers get drafted in any given year. It's skewed a little higher in recent years, but the bulk are still not taken until day 3.

Top pick would be Biadasz. 

He excels at what Bozeman did poorly (stunt protection, pre-snap communication, & combo-blocking) which seems like those could be priorities for Canales' staff.  He's also only 26.  He's a guy to throw some money at.  I'd also imagine we're looking at Evan Brown from Seattle.

• Pie 2

34 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Only jpj, van pran, and the tortellini kid are z9ne types though. Limmer and Frazier are mauler types. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Top pick would be Biadasz. 

He excels at what Bozeman did poorly (stunt protection, pre-snap communication, & combo-blocking) which seems like those could be priorities for Canales' staff.  He's also only 26.  He's a guy to throw some money at.  I'd also imagine we're looking at Evan Brown from Seattle.

Yup, anytime you can snag a young FA(healthy) starter from the Cowboy's OL, you do it. With the Cowboys cap situation, they can ill-afford to overspend on a center. 

1 minute ago, Panthero said:

Only jpj, van pran, and the tortellini kid are z9ne types though. Limmer and Frazier are mauler types. 

Also, note that on top of the Badger being a fit, and from a reputable OL program, his nickname can be Tortellini which is just perfect for a center.  

• Pie 1

I think we end up with a vet at center and then target guard on the draft. Problem with zone blockers is we simultaneously want guys that are stone walls so our midget qb feels safe while also being move guys that can effectively combo block, pull, and go second level.

• Pie 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

Also, note that on top of the Badger being a fit, and from a reputable OL program, his nickname can be Tortellini which is just perfect for a center.  

I just want him so I can get the name wrong for years.... yes I'm a child. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I am very worried about a reach in the draft.

Not me. I’m expecting more of the same. I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised but I didn’t like Fitterer’s drafting (and everything else) right from the start. Until he proves otherwise, I’m expecting his right hand man to stay the course.

Reaching for a C in a super strong WR class makes perfect sense.