• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BREAKING: Pass rusher extraordinaire DJ Wonnum visiting Panthers

53 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I mean, except a team traded picks and gave burns a 30 million a year contract.

Reality hurts.

And the Dolphins once gave up a draft pick for Greg Little - the Giants 'trading picks' is irrelevant. They gave up peanuts because Carolina had less than zero leverage thanks to the past FO regime and the Giants paid him for whatever reason they paid him, which my guess is that they felt it was worth it since Kayvon is under his rookie deal for another 3 years and they feel like the combined impact of the two may be worth the total average cost between them.

Burns himself is just not an impact player, and 5 years of tape is the reality here. Carolina just royally screwed it all up, as they've done for years now. 

• Beer 1

Just now, KSpan said:

And the Dolphins once gave up a draft pick for Greg Little - the Giants 'trading picks' is irrelevant. They gave up peanuts because Carolina had less than zero leverage thanks to the past FO regime and the Giants paid him for whatever reason they paid him, which my guess is that they felt it was worth it since Kayvon is under his rookie deal for another 3 years and they feel like the combined impact of the two may be worth the total average cost between them.

Burns himself is just not an impact player, and 5 years of tape is the reality here. Carolina just royally screwed it all up, as they've done for years now. 

Yeah, the Giants felt otherwise. 

Anyway, the Panthers now have a chance to sign guys with half or less of Burns production per year. So, I wonder what fans will say about these players if they consider Burns to not be an impact player? A net-negative player?

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Yeah, the Giants felt otherwise. 

Anyway, the Panthers now have a chance to sign guys with half or less of Burns production per year. So, I wonder what fans will say about these players if they consider Burns to not be an impact player? A net-negative player?

Easy answer - a non-impact pass rusher that doesn't cost 30 million a year. We can find that for like 3 million a year

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, PleaseCutStewart said:

Easy answer - a non-impact pass rusher that doesn't cost 30 million a year. We can find that for like 3 million a year

Sure, if you want a warm body. Mix and match and compare PFF grades to make everyone feel better about it too. PFF rated Chase Young higher than Burns pretty much every year despite him producing half as much statistically and two teams pushing him out the door as fast as they could.

All that's going to really matter is when the season starts were the Panthers able to replace the pass-rush, and overall production, of Burns, Luvu, and Jackson. If not then the defense is going to be worse than a team that went 2-15.

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Can’t let a guy like this leave without a contract. 

Yeah, that's kind of the where the Panthers are at. It really gives these mediocre JAGs a lot of leverage.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Sure, if you want a warm body. Mix and match and compare PFF grades to make everyone feel better about it too. PFF rated Chase Young higher than Burns pretty much every year despite him producing half as much statistically and two teams pushing him out the door as fast as they could.

All that's going to really matter is when the season starts were the Panthers able to replace the pass-rush, and overall production, of Burns, Luvu, and Jackson. If not then the defense is going to be worse than a team that went 2-15.

Of course our defense is going to be worse than last year - our goal needs to be to either full on tank or try and get a good oline/weapons for Bryce to see if he is actually worth a poo. Trying to make our defense better by paying overrated pass rushers $150 million is the last thing we need to do. And with how much Burns hated us, I wouldn't be surprised if he was asking for $40 million a year from us

Edited by PleaseCutStewart
  • Pie 1

Just now, PleaseCutStewart said:

Of course our defense is going to be worse than last year - our goal needs to be to either full on tank or try and get a good oline/weapons for Bryce to see if he is actually worth a poo. Trying to make our defense better by paying overrated pass rushers $150 million is the last thing we need to do should be the last thing we are doing right now. And with how much Burns hated us, I wouldn't be surprised if he was asking for $40 million a year from us

Well, then just say we're tanking, we're trying to be a bad team for asset acquisition.

Just now, Krovvy said:

Well, then just say we're tanking, we're trying to be a bad team for asset acquisition.

I wish we were. I would love to literally just field a team of JAGs for 2 years and just stockpile draft picks and start anew in 2026, instead of the stupid poo we have been doing the past 5 years of thinking we are only 1 or 2 players away and proceeding to go 6-11 or worse

2 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I wish we were. I would love to literally just field a team of JAGs for 2 years and just stockpile draft picks and start anew in 2026, instead of the stupid poo we have been doing the past 5 years of thinking we are only 1 or 2 players away and proceeding to go 6-11 or worse

The Panthers went 2-14 and are getting worse on defense. I don't think we have to worry about going 6-11 unless Bryce Young has an extraordinary turn around. Which if happens then the team will immediately start making moves to win in 2025.

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

The Panthers went 2-14 and are getting worse on defense. I don't think we have to worry about going 6-11 unless Bryce Young has an extraordinary turn around. Which if happens then the team will immediately start making moves to win in 2025.

I was referencing a 5 year span. I'm not sure we get a win this year

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

It’s not tanking…it’s rebuilding which takes years given our situation.

Morgan will try. Considering his involvement the past few years..I’m not holding out hope.

Just now, Tbe said:

It’s not tanking…it’s rebuilding which takes years given our situation.

Morgan will try. Considering his involvement the past few years..I’m not holding out hope.

Same-same. Saving on Burns is nice, but using that money to sign a pile of JAGs to do worse isn't much of a plan unless they are tanking.