• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bears cashing in on Bryce Young trade

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

What if he doesn't change the narrative completely? Just looks like Teddy B at his ceiling? Not a complete bust but not worth the trade?

That's what I'm worried about since Morgan and the Tepper's need to save face for the trade and the pick. To me that should result in us taking a QB early in 2025. Let them both compete and go from there. But I have a feeling the current decision makers would use it as an excuse to double down on Bryce.

My position is he needs to look like a top 12-15 QB minimum for me not to draft another one in 2025. I want what's best for my franchise. Emotions and reputation salvaging for the front office can't enter the equation.

• Beer 1

Some of you guys are gonna look real dumb when Bryce Young becomes a top 10 QB in the NFL by 2025.

Spoiler: he'll only need NFL average receivers and linemen to get there.

Bonus Spoiler: many of you have no idea what you're looking at and are as emotional as a 3 year old little girl that can't stop thinking about waffles.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Some of you guys are gonna look real dumb when Bryce Young becomes a top 10 QB in the NFL by 2025.

Bonus Spoiler: many of you have no idea what you're looking at and are as emotional as a 3 year old little girl that can't stop thinking about waffles.

I can safely say that 99.9% of the Carolina Huddle would be thrilled and relieved to see that even the detractors. Winning cures all.

What's wrong with waffles? They're fuging delicious.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

That's what I'm worried about since Morgan and the Tepper's need to save face for the trade and the pick. To me that should result in us taking a QB early in 2025. Let them both compete and go from there. But I have a feeling the current decision makers would use it as an excuse to double down on Bryce.

My position is he needs to look like a top 12-15 QB minimum for me not to draft another one in 2025. I want what's best for my franchise. Emotions and reputation salvaging for the front office can't enter the equation.

Yeah he has to be better than Teddy or Sam, becoming Teddy or Sam is not an accomplishment but Tepper would probably accept it

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

I can safely say that 99.9% of the Carolina Huddle would be thrilled and relieved to see that even the detractors. Winning cures all.

What's wrong with waffles? They're fuging delicious.

Probably more like 85%. Not even 99.9% of Huddlers were happy to see Cam win MVP. Sunk cost fallacy will be a thing, some people have decided that Bryce will never be good, so even if he becomes good they'll have to convince themselves he's not to save face.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, rodeo said:

Probably more like 85%. Not even 99.9% of Huddlers were happy to see Cam win MVP. Sunk cost fallacy will be a thing, some people have decided that Bryce will never be good, so even if he becomes good they'll have to convince themselves he's not to save face.

Good is a subjective term open to a world of interpretation though. If he's in the elite convo which even CJ Stroud was as a rookie that will shut up pretty much anyone.

Cam is a different matter altogether. Cam Newton received a lot of that vitriol because he was absolutely unapologetic about his confidence and also expressing himself on and off the football field not just as a QB but a black athlete under the microscope just for existing. The Tennessee mom fan effect. Bryce Young is not going to have to worry about much of that if at all. That's not who he is that is not his personality. And that's fine. We just need to see him lift himself and the team around him as a competitor and become the leader of what is now his team.

16 hours ago, Navy_football said:

There you go. Making a fair point (although based on a questionable hypothesis, top 10? At what?).

If he doesn’t do that you will look... wrong. So that is fair. 

But then you go personal and insulting. Most of you Bryce people do that, keep those standards up yo.

And I know it was over Gerber, but he didn’t call You Gerber. 

Edited by strato

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is true. They'd be losers too. Just not as big of losers as us.

we lose bc we *probably* picked the wrong guy. But if we had taken stroud that trade would have been an easy W for us. 

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, strato said:

There you go. Making a fair point (although based on a questionable hypothesis, top 10? At what?).

If he doesn’t do that you will look... wrong. So that is fair. 

But then you go personal and insulting. Most of you Bryce people do that, keep those standards up yo.

And I know it was over Gerber, but he didn’t call You Gerber. 

Just matching the energies. Honestly, I wasn't even a Bryce guy. I wasn't a Stroud guy either to be fair. I didn't think the Panthers were ready to draft a QB last season. The roster was hot garbage, and I knew it wasn't ready for a rookie QB. My expectations were tempered last season. But I do think Bryce showed he was who we thought he was. He's actually way ahead of Stroud in a lot of ways (Stroud definitely has a stronger arm), but as a rookie, he looked bad A LOT due to all of the adversity. You would really have to look at the ALL 22 to see the details. It's almost impossible to see as a fan during the emotion of the game, and just wanting to see him make plays. I get that. But the ridiculously hot takes like he doesn't have an NFL arm, or he's too weak, or he's too slow, or he can't run, or he can't throw from the pocket, or he can't... Even when he did the thing they say he couldn't do, they still say he can't do it. Make that make sense. 

So far as supporting cast goes, I think he only needs NFL average to be successful. NFL average play book. NFL average playcalling. NFL average receivers. NFL average protection. Do you think the Panthers had NFL average in any of those areas? Of course not. But the expectation was that a rookie QB was gonna come in and somehow make everyone be above average. QB is the most dependent position on the field. One offensive lineman or RB can miss a block and ruin the play. One WR can run the wrong route or drop the ball (or fumble through the goal line). The OC and scheme can make the defense's job easy if it's basic and predictable. Unfortunately, there were way too many games where it was more than one guy missing blocks, dropping passes, and scheming bad plays with no plan. 

• Beer 2

Well I flat out don’t think he does have a good enough arm. There is not a thing I have seen from him that makes that sound ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous if there were no evidence that it’s true. I don’t see him as having proven otherwise in 16 NFL games.

For me, I cannot at all understand what you think he will be top ten at. That is actually a bit ridiculous sounding to me, no joke. But there is probably some stat he can put up that makes it. 

I think he is obviously limited and the scheme will be limited to match. In writing.

The more defenses can shrink the area they believe they have to defend, the more congested ands harder it will get. I don’t see him getting them to back off. Unless somehow he gets Russell Wilson's luck and WRs on his rainbow deep balls. 

What is going to happen is they will hide him and ask much less of him, mostly so he can succeed at something and get his mind right. They hope. Canales has already said. Going point guard in the half court as long as they can. If they can.

The should be able to run on most people now, the backs jobs just got a lot easier. It was a pretty major OL move of course people feel it was almost an above and beyond overreaction but I like OL, no complaints.

So they will possibly get him to look good enough justify them not replacing him. But that’s the ceiling as I see it. Thanks to the internet I know Bill Walsh said you know by 24 games maybe it was 25 games. That you may know sooner but you will for sure know by then. One way or the other.

My biggest worry is that if he hasn’t improved significantly by then, IOW has not proven it by then, that people won’t pull the plug and move on. 

• Pie 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:34 PM, Jaxel said:

It's over now, just need to Bryce yo show up and it will all be forgotten. But even if he doesn't, there will always be a next year lmao.

My biggest pet peeve is this belief that tanking to get a better 1st round pick, is 100% effective.  I believe this thought has hurt really badly.

25 minutes ago, strato said:

Well I flat out don’t think he does have a good enough arm. There is not a thing I have seen from him that makes that sound ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous if there were no evidence that it’s true. I don’t see him as having proven otherwise in 16 NFL games.

For me, I cannot at all understand what you think he will be top ten at. That is actually a bit ridiculous sounding to me, no joke. But there is probably some stat he can put up that makes it. 

I think he is obviously limited and the scheme will be limited to match. In writing.

The more defenses can shrink the area they believe they have to defend, the more congested ands harder it will get. I don’t see him getting them to back off. Unless somehow he gets Russell Wilson's luck and WRs on his rainbow deep balls. 

What is going to happen is they will hide him and ask much less of him, mostly so he can succeed at something and get his mind right. They hope. Canales has already said. Going point guard in the half court as long as they can. If they can.

The should be able to run on most people now, the backs jobs just got a lot easier. It was a pretty major OL move of course people feel it was almost an above and beyond overreaction but I like OL, no complaints.

So they will possibly get him to look good enough justify them not replacing him. But that’s the ceiling as I see it. Thanks to the internet I know Bill Walsh said you know by 24 games maybe it was 25 games. That you may know sooner but you will for sure know by then. One way or the other.

My biggest worry is that if he hasn’t improved significantly by then, IOW has not proven it by then, that people won’t pull the plug and move on. 

The one thing this new regime has shown, is a willingness to part with underperformers or bad fits. If Bryce doesn't look more like a good NFL QB next season, barring injuries to him or key positions, I'm confident he'll be on the outs. Sooner rather than later. 

But I do think he gets a gimme on this past season. Like it or not, he was in one of the worst positions a rookie QB has ever experienced. From owner, to coaches, to supporting cast. It was a complete fiasco. Made for tv drama type crap going on behind the scenes. And there's a reason the entire interior oline is being replaced/revamped. There's a reason Dionte Johnson was brought in and they're looking for more help at the position. And they'll likely draft at least one more receiver, even if Williams is signed. Ickey probably only gets another season too. 

And he has enough arm. That was never an issue. Confidence - in himself, his receivers, and most importantly his protection played a role in him not letting it rip too often. But he showed plenty of zip on a lot of throws. And from some awkard angles. Saying he doesn't have a strong enough arm means there were NO throws that looked like legit NFL passes. And that's just not accurate. He will defintely need to improve on his deep ball accuracy too. That or take more shots. No one will remember the 2 you missed in the game, if you hit 2 others. Saw that with Stroud - alot. 

I guess labeling him a top 10 QB can be subjective. But if enough people say it, then it'll have to have some merit. 

Bro, navy, you can’t possibly be looking at him ‘slinging’ it and seeing a good arm. 

making one or two throw types NFL caliber, is not NFL arm. It might be part NFL.  Nfl.

The thing is, they are going to hide him, and not ask him to make certain throws. So we won’t see evidence  of his shortcomings. Which is what they should do.. Let’s see how that plays out.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2