• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR Draft News/Gossip per The Athletic Pod

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Yea Brian Thomas can only do one thing

They seem pretty out there, relative to other scouts on him. I've got no idea. Does seem to be consensus that there are a lot number 2 types well into the second round. 

• Beer 1

CAUTION:  We are getting to that time of the draft year when we start overpicking the good players and inflating the others.  Over the past 2-3 months, Thomas didn't start sucking and Pearsall all the sudden got better--however...

To me, Xavier Legette is a boom or bust pick.  I see that there are players who will not be drafted until round 3 or later who will be good NFL players.   Roman Wilson, Tez Walker, Jermaine Burton, Brendon Rice, Jermaine Walker---all could be good WRs. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

CAUTION:  We are getting to that time of the draft year when we start overpicking the good players and inflating the others.  Over the past 2-3 months, Thomas didn't start sucking and Pearsall all the sudden got better--however...

To me, Xavier Legette is a boom or bust pick.  I see that there are players who will not be drafted until round 3 or later who will be good NFL players.   Roman Wilson, Tez Walker, Jermaine Burton, Brendon Rice, Jermaine Walker---all could be good WRs. 

Yeah XL in the early 2nd is looking rough for me. If theres a run at WR in the late 1st just go bpa. Not sure Ladd is going to translate either, seems kind of gimmicky and dances too much 

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Agreed, and after our recent years drafting I would be thrilled with good when lately we just have been hoping for mediocre. The guys you mention plus Malik Washington and Malachi Corley are why I’m OK waiting until 65 for a WR if we can get day 1 starters at 33 and 39.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah XL in the early 2nd is looking rough for me. If theres a run at WR in the late 1st just go bpa. Not sure Ladd is going to translate either, seems kind of gimmicky and dances too much 

Ladd is also a boom or bust--he really is not as good an athlete as others in his range-

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Ladd is also a boom or bust--he really is not as good an athlete as others in his range-

I feel like Ladd is a higher floor limited ceiling pick. He runs great routes with good hands. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I feel like Ladd is a higher floor limited ceiling pick. He runs great routes with good hands. 

Check out the Holy Cross kid.  Steve Smith did a video on him.  Difference could be 2nd round vs. 5th round.

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Check out the Holy Cross kid.  Steve Smith did a video on him.  Difference could be 2nd round vs. 5th round.

He looks great. Obviously the strength of competition is a concern. The WR from WKU looked awesome too. 

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

He's one of my sleepers in my mocks, but I wouldn't pass on Ladd because of him. Would just pick both of them. Know telling what the organization would do though.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

boom or bust is how i'm viewing him as well. he will either be absolutely fantastic or just kind of fizzle. for some reason i'm just not 100% convinced on him(maybe 80-85%?). now if he's the guy we take in the 2nd round i'm still going to be stoked, but there's this seed of doubt in my head concerning him. i'd actually feel more comfortable with someone like pearsall. 

i'm thinking the guys that i feel the most confident in are MHjr, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, AD Mitchell, Coleman, and Pearsall. I think those guys are the safest bets. 

The guys i feel really good but not great about are McConkey, Corley, Leggette, Wilson, X Worthy, Baker, Polk, and Burton (not in order, btw)

For some reason Troy Franklin, Washington, and Dez Walker just have me a little skittish. Not sure why on any of them.

These are all gut checks that i've noticed when i'm doing my mocks. I don't have anything statistically or quantitatively to base this on. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Another one that I remembered because Smitty did a breakdown on him:

Jalen Coker:

Great routes, great hands, great ball skills, good at the scramble drill, average speed, small school with limited competition, mid to late round prospect.

Him and Baker I keep forgetting about. Those two and Burton are going to be falling through some cracks and wind up helping out some teams.