• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can ESPN Survive As Cable TV Fades?

1 minute ago, PanthersATL said:

They do in terms of the walled garden. 

If you want to create/sell an app, you have to do it on Apple's terms via Apple's store.
If you want to use an Apple Watch, you aren't allowed to use one unless you have an iPhone.

With Android, you have options on whose hardware to use. Not so much with Apple.

From a monopoly viewpoint, other than a sunk-cost of ownership/application knowledge - it's hard to say that users are permantently locked in and can't utilize a different set of hardware. It may not be configured/done how those consumers are used to, but pretty much anything you're trying to do on iOS is accessible elsewhere.

Similarly: Amazon is not a monopoly. Walmart and other online stores offers (almost) the exact same merchandise with (similar) shipping policies. AWS has competition from MSFT, Google and others. Doesn't mean that there aren't monopolistic practices happening, but DOJ can't break up Apple/Amazon simply because "they're big". Gotta have a solid reason to do so.

I don't have a problem with a company, Apple in this case, making essentially an Apple-friendly world for their products.   The Apple Watch works better with the iPhone.   I think that example is one specifically cited in the lawsuit.   But the recent android stuff is no different I don't believe with the pairing of products resulting in better/different experiences.   The apple eco system works great and is easy.  Yeah, you are more limited in terms of applications and things with Apple.....and you can choose not to use them because of that.... most of the world chooses not to use them. 

I do think the DOJ is going after Apple because of it's size though.  And also, probably a lot of money being used to pressure folks into going after Apple.  Apple nickel and dimes everyone that wants access to those living in Apple world. 

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It will be their stores(they will get Google for this too with Play) and the software they natively install. That's what they got Microsoft for a while back.

For a while, Amazon sold/provided their own Android apps with their own Android store. Got a few premium apps that way for free vs paying for them via Google. But those apps weren't updated as often as they should have been compared to Google Play so I *think* the Amazon app store kinda fell apart.

But it's possible

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

They (Sinclair) had money issues and couldn't keep it running. 

I hope Sinclair dramatically collapses. The local news monopoly is super fuged up and I don’t think the average viewer is aware of it. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I hope Sinclair dramatically collapses. The local news monopoly is super fuged up and I don’t think the average viewer is aware of it. 

aren't they the ones with that viral super clip of all the TV stations reading off the same script that was synced up?  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

aren't they the ones with that viral super clip of all the TV stations reading off the same script that was synced up?  

Yes. They have slowly built a monopoly that USED to be illegal to own but our wonderful legislative branch opted to take the money and run many years back.

It's incredibly fuged and they literally have unsavory intent in building the empire they have.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree, but Sinclair isn't going away. There's too much money behind them.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

You had put radio in quotes, so I wondered if you were of mind that satellite radio isn't radio..🤷‍♂️

Satellite Radio isn't radio in the traditional sense.  They don't have a free version on readily available universal hardware like OTA/broadcast radio does. 

It's only available via specialized dedicated receivers capable of receiving satellite signals, or through a paid subscription to their streaming product.

I don't have a tv........I don't gamble............I don't have a smart phone nor use social media.

........but I do have a library card and use it frequently. 

The architects of social control and economic consumption hate me..................and my lifestyle choices are the middle finger back at them. 

ESPN included.........

Edited by PghPanther