• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Millers' 7 Round Mock (Panthers info only)

41 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Brett Kollman actually broke down the reasons why it took so long, and it gives a ton of context. I too was pretty skeptical until I saw it:

• Played a running attack style QB in HS where his athleticism had him run for 1600 yards his senior year
  • Both his parents died before college, father dying right before he leaves
  • Goes to SC and gets switched to WR where he grey shirted his freshman year
  • Covid Hits
  • SC Changes coaching staff
  • Coaching change brings in new offense where he has to learn new WR stuff on top of trying to learn the position after losing a year thanks to the pandemic
  • Played behind already established upper classmen until his most recent season

Dude could have transferred out of SC but chose to grind it out and earn his spot. Dude is mentally tough and gritty as poo. Coaches rave about his practice habits and teammates love him. Loyal guy. Athletic freak of nature

Don't know why you wouldn't want that kind of player on the team.

Can't hate that.

2 hours ago, SaltAndPepper said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39806887/2024-nfl-mock-draft-matt-miller-seven-rounds-257-picks-predictions (full mock, on ESPN+)

For the Panthers Picks: 

2.33 Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
One nugget I've heard from multiple NFL scouts since the Senior Bowl is that the Panthers love this wide receiver class and believe they will be able to add a rookie starter at No. 33. The Panthers sent 10 people to the South Carolina pro day, and Legette's 4.39 speed at 6-foot-1 and 221 pounds is perfect for slant routes -- which would in turn help quarterback Bryce Young get the ball out faster in 2024.

2.39 Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
Suamataia has the power to be a very good right tackle, a position he played in 2022 and one that could soon be open in Carolina. For the time being, he could learn behind Taylor Moton and continue to develop his special movement and power traits.

3.65 Chris Braswell, DE, Alabama
The trade of Brian Burns opens the door for a pass-rusher, and Braswell had eight sacks and forced three fumbles last season at Alabama.

From Here on out, it's just picks only. No explanation. 

4.101 Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin

5.141 Jarrian Jones, CB, Florida State

5.142 Justin Eboigbe, DT, Alabama

7.240 Jordan Whittington, WR, Texas

Thanks for sharing.  I might be wrong (see Dec 3, 1987), and I agree with the fact that we might need a RT in 2025, but I doubt we go that high (#39).  I like the FSU CB.  Braswell is a high motor, limited ceiling guy who, like Legette, only had 1 good season.  IMO, if Ladd is there, we take him. 

54 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Brett Kollman actually broke down the reasons why it took so long, and it gives a ton of context. I too was pretty skeptical until I saw it:

• Played a running attack style QB in HS where his athleticism had him run for 1600 yards his senior year
  • Both his parents died before college, father dying right before he leaves
  • Goes to SC and gets switched to WR where he grey shirted his freshman year
  • Covid Hits
  • SC Changes coaching staff
  • Coaching change brings in new offense where he has to learn new WR stuff on top of trying to learn the position after losing a year thanks to the pandemic
  • Played behind already established upper classmen until his most recent season

Dude could have transferred out of SC but chose to grind it out and earn his spot. Dude is mentally tough and gritty as poo. Coaches rave about his practice habits and teammates love him. Loyal guy. Athletic freak of nature

Don't know why you wouldn't want that kind of player on the team.

This is very interesting.  I am the son of a Gamecock Tight End and I was born during his sophomore year in Columbia, so yes, I am a fan. When I heard him speak on the interview, I was so impressed.  Yes, his accent, but his humility.  That makes more sense now.  

42 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Show me ANY credible scout that has comped/compared Legette to Mingo. I'm waiting.

And for sh¡ts and giggles, in any (event fairly) recent mock drafts have Legette going and compare those to where they had Mingo (which honestly wasn't even on my radar) mocked last off-season. 

Then, tell me where Mingo was hailed as a vertical threat, physical at the point of attack (hell, physical at all), and uses his frame and strength to play bully ball amid DBs. And for the hell of it, show me where Mingo actually displayed these traits with any type of consistency.

And to top it all off, show me where anyone thought that Mingo had any legit speed, and more importantly game speed.

Your take is lazy. Don't be a clown GIF

image.thumb.jpeg.28483a21c7039bc19ea117bc3535c4ed.jpeg

2 hours ago, Stingray3030 said:

Unless a stud drops to 33 I'm hoping we trade back a little bit and pick up an extra pick or 2.  Most of the WR's we see on mocks at 33 we could get at 39-45.

Having #39 in our back pocket should make us fully willing to listen to offers since we're going to be sitting "on the clock" for a long time at #33. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

image.thumb.jpeg.28483a21c7039bc19ea117bc3535c4ed.jpeg

How can anyone take you seriously when you won't even acknowledge the differences and the reasons for the lack of production. 

Bottom line: Mingo and Legette have some similarities in production and physical makeup, but there are huge differences whether you acknowledge them or not. There are not only huge differences in their history  and style of play, but their are major differences in the way that they are perceived by professional scouts, coaches, NFL execs and fans. 

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

How can anyone take you seriously when you won't even acknowledge the differences and the reasons for the lack of production. 

Bottom line: Mingo and Legette have some similarities in production and physical makeup, but there are huge differences whether you acknowledge them or not. There are not only huge differences in their history  and style of play, but there are major differences in the way that they are perceived by professional scouts, coaches, NFL execs and fans. 

Bottom line is… there are too many self certified YouTube scouts.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Bottom line: Mingo and Legette have some similarities in production and physical makeup, but there are huge differences whether you acknowledge them or not. There are not only huge differences in their history  and style of play, but their are major differences in the way that they are perceived by professional scouts, coaches, NFL execs and fans. 

We'll see whether or not there ends up being huge differences. Mingo was a fairly highly thought of prospect.

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Having #39 in our back pocket should make us fully willing to listen to offers since we're going to be sitting "on the clock" for a long time at #33. 

If someone is dumb enough to offer us a future 1st I say we take it.

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

If someone is dumb enough to offer us a future 1st I say we take it.

this the Panthers.  We probably trade it for comparable comp the last time the 33rd was traded.  Which was peanuts. 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see whether or not there ends up being huge differences. Mingo was a fairly highly thought of prospect.

You see, I don't know about that,  especially not where we drafted him. Even without debating that point, he was a reach, and many people thought so as soon as we drafted him.

Mind you, I haven't given up on Mingo, but it's not looking great.

Edited by top dawg