• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Harmon & Charles McDonald on some tier 2 WRs & beyond.

47 minutes ago, top dawg said:

In theory, and based upon mainly fans' assumptions, you may be right. But, I've said it many times now, I just can't draft or not draft a WR based upon perceived and real limitations of a QB that could gone in a season. 

One other thing that I would mention is that we need a legitimate outside X receiver to help clear the way for our other skill positions. Lastly, I'd add that there is a belief by some that your WR corps should have done versatility (as in different types of receivers). We arguably have at least two slot guys on the team now (granted, maybe not for long). I think that Mingo needs to be in the slot, and that's how some teams (e.g., the Steelers) were looking to use him.

Pearsall has some nice film playing outside, but yes I'd like AD to fall to 33 to be the X

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Pearsall has some nice film playing outside, but yes I'd like AD to fall to 33 to be the X

That's great, but I've read too many profiles that said he can be rerouted and knocked off balance too easily.  Just about every---well every profile I have seen said that the slot is where he best fits, even on vertical routes.

My observation of last year’s version of Young, and I fully admit I’m a nobody…and this is in the occasion when he had time

1. poor long ball

2. the more the distance, the less accurate and the more contested balls

3. holds the ball too long for  nfl level defenses 

4 very poor footwork 

5 doesn’t see middle of the field well

He is what he is and the Panthers have to live with it ..for at least another year

Unless that all improves exponentially, having a speed receiver that takes the top off the defense is pointless.  The defenses won’t honor it because they know he can’t execute it. 

to me, the only value of XL has over other WRs is his touted  wins with ‘contested balls’.

the panthers history of drafting receivers is abysmal.  

I just hope whatever receiver they take, breaks that trend.  The Moose and Steve Smith drafts were a long time ago 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

My observation of last year’s version of Young, and I fully admit I’m a nobody…and this is in the occasion when he had time

1. poor long ball

4 very poor footwork 

He is what he is and the Panthers have to live with it ..for at least another year

Unless that all improves exponentially, having a speed receiver that takes the top off the defense is pointless.  The defenses won’t honor it because they know he can’t execute it. 

to me, the only value of XL has over other WRs is his touted  wins with ‘contested balls’.

I just hope whatever receiver they take, breaks that trend.  The Moose and Steve Smith drafts were a long time ago 

There's a bit more to Legette than just contested catches. His ability to climb the ladder and get balls, as well as his game speed are evident. His fastest recorded time last year per Next Gen Stats was 22.3, which was the fastest in college and would've been the fastest in the NFL. His physicality is really second to none in this draft class. Of course all of that speed, strength and vertical ability may have been a good crutch in regards to actually mastering the nuances of route running, but there's a lot of clay to work with there. He also has a great wingspan and good hands. There is a reason why people are having a difficult time with evaluating him, and a lot of it is because his Senior season was his breakout season, but the other part is that he may be laterally challenged, but possibly vertically and athletically elite. Even without the lateral movement of some, he still has high upside regarding production after the catch.

In regards to Bryce, I just have to see him behind a competent O-line before I put the last nail in the coffin. Running for your life can lead to a lot of bad things. It can. Off target throws, bad footwork, trying to play the hero by holding on to the ball too long...those don't have to be solely based upon inability. And we still must remember that transitions to the NFL consist of curves of varying degrees.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

There's a bit more to Legette than just contested catches. His ability to climb the ladder and get balls, as well as his game speed are evident. His fastest recorded time last year per Next Gen Stats was 22.3, which was the fastest in college and would've been the fastest in the NFL. His physicality is really second to none in this draft class. Of course all of that speed, strength and vertical ability may have been a good crutch in regards to actually mastering the nuances of route running, but there's a lot of clay to work with there. He also has a great wingspan and good hands. There is a reason why people are having a difficult time with evaluating him, and a lot of it is because his Senior season was his breakout season, but the other part is that he may be laterally challenged, but possibly vertically and athletically elite. Even without the lateral movement of some, he still has high upside regarding production after the catch.

In regards to Bryce, I just have to see him behind a competent O-line before I put the last nail in the coffin. Running for your life can lead to a lot of bad things. It can. Off target throws, bad footwork, trying to play the hero by holding on to the ball too long...those don't have to be solely based upon inability. And we still must remember that transitions to the NFL consist of curves of varying degrees.

Draft, always a crap shoot 

I am just trying to hope against hope that Dan knows what he is doing 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

56 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

1. poor long ball

4 very poor footwork 

He could barely throw a decent long ball at his pro day with no defenders, in an indoor facility. Honestly if he had actually thrown at the Combine like the other guys did they might have seriously second guessed taking him over Stroud. Would have been night and day when actually seeing them throw side by side and not having the buffer of a few days between pro days

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He could barely throw a decent long ball at his pro day with no defenders, in an indoor facility. Honestly if he had actually thrown at the Combine like the other guys did they might have seriously second guessed taking him over Stroud. Would have been night and day when actually seeing them throw side by side and not having the buffer of a few days between pro days

The thing I do not understand…there is nothing seen in the pros  that was not seen at Alabama..,the major difference size, reaction time and speed required in the pros

how in the name of god did all the pro scouts not raise red flags about this…he was 1 on most scouts rankings 

20 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

The thing I do not understand…there is nothing seen in the pros  that was not seen at Alabama..,the major difference size, reaction time and speed required in the pros

how in the name of god did all the pro scouts not raise red flags about this…he was 1 on most scouts rankings 

I think Bryce was #1 in a lot of media stuff.  I don't think there is anyway to know where teams really had everyone. 

I mean, plenty of football guys did talk about Bryce's limitations as a NFL QB.  And they look to be right.  He doesn't have the type arm you ideally want.   That's just going to cap his ceiling.  So will his size. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I think Bryce was #1 in a lot of media stuff.  I don't think there is anyway to know where teams really had everyone. 

I mean, plenty of football guys did talk about Bryce's limitations as a NFL QB.  And they look to be right.  He doesn't have the type arm you ideally want.   That's just going to cap his ceiling.  So will his size. 

Most of what I read were concerns about his size in relation to durability. I probably read “if Bryce was 6’2” he be the perfect prospect” several times. Arm seemed to be mentioned as “good enough” by most. 
Hey if he busts maybe we overcorrect and draft a 6’8” QB with an absolute cannon? 

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Most of what I read were concerns about his size in relation to durability. I probably read “if Bryce was 6’2” he be the perfect prospect” several times. Arm seemed to be mentioned as “good enough” by most. 
Hey if he busts maybe we overcorrect and draft a 6’8” QB with an absolute cannon? 

Bryce has a range of 55 yards. I watched his pro day and counted the air yards on his deep throws. That's if he steps into it. Now his accuracy on those deep throws were hit and miss. But he can throw a ball 55 yards in the air, if he steps into it. Stroud threw his 10 yards more and Richardson throw for about 2 or 3 more than Stroud.  It is what it is.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

that's the Tepper way.  He probably will draft that Purdue C that plays basketball to be our QB to stick with his overcorrection ways.  That's about as polar opposite as you can get. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Bryce has a range of 55 yards. I watched his pro day and counted the air yards on his deep throws. That's if he steps into it. Now his accuracy on those deep throws were hit and miss. But he can throw a ball 55 yards in the air, if he steps into it. Stroud threw his 10 yards more and Richardson throw for about 2 or 3 more than Stroud.  It is what it is.

lot of guys I saw talked about his arm being a concerned when the pocket took away ideal conditions.  Ideal conditions Bryce is fine.  But playing QB in the NFL means you don't get those often.  He doesn't have the arm strength when the pocket collapses and isn't set to make all the throws you want your QB to be able to make.  And that's largely framed as what you would be expecting from a #1 overall give up picks for type player.   And his size becomes an issue not just durability, but it limits his ability to extend plays. 

I think most deemed him the lowest ceiling, highest floor player of the 3.  And that still might be true.  The others could of looked worse in Carolina's mess overall.  Who knows.  But I still think the lowest ceiling part is probably true. 

• Beer 1