• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Roar Podcast with John Ellis is back

12 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, if we go pre draft, I agree 100%.  But if you are really looking at mechanics when the WRs were not running good routes and getting separation, the system was not for Bryce, no decent TE, always playing from behind (DL and LBs tee off), a terrible OL, RBs averaging under 4 yards per carry, and the play calling was described by some announcers as "predictable,"  Bryce may have had the worse situation ever.  Yes, these circumstances would have definitely put the mechanical issues under the microscope.

Now think about his high school to Bama years.  He was always in the lead, always had the better OL, always had a good D, always had elite WRs.  We saw him in the best case scenario and his mechanical issues were not issues then--We saw him in a perfect scenario.  I mean, how many games per year does Bama have a legit chance of losing?  3 or 4? 

separation or not Bryce has always had a slow drop back, bouncy before he throws and difficulty under center.  Simply put that poo doesnt translate to the nfl. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

separation or not Bryce has always had a slow drop back, bouncy before he throws and difficulty under center.  Simply put that poo doesnt translate to the nfl. 

But the NFL experts still have not arrived at that conclusion.  I get what you are saying, but they would have cut their losses had they been as certain as you seem to be.  Canales thinks he can fix it, and if you run more out of the pistol and shotgun, the drop back issue can be mitigated by scheme.  If he has a system of reading his pre-snap target and then to his check down, the bouncing can be mitigated.  I worry--don't get me wrong--but I don't think the NFL coaches and execs surrounding him are in a position to lose to prove they did not pick the wrong guy.  We let Baker go, and many were saying the same stuff about him.  Canales had less than a year with him before he became their starter, and he was incredibly improved.  I just do not think now is the time to be writing him off.

This discussion is important--you have seen enough to move on--I have not.  If we agreed all the time, this would not be a discussion board, it would be a cult. 

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

But the NFL experts still have not arrived at that conclusion.  I get what you are saying, but they would have cut their losses had they been as certain as you seem to be.  Canales thinks he can fix it, and if you run more out of the pistol and shotgun, the drop back issue can be mitigated by scheme.  If he has a system of reading his pre-snap target and then to his check down, the bouncing can be mitigated.  I worry--don't get me wrong--but I don't think the NFL coaches and execs surrounding him are in a position to lose to prove they did not pick the wrong guy.  We let Baker go, and many were saying the same stuff about him.  Canales had less than a year with him before he became their starter, and he was incredibly improved.  I just do not think now is the time to be writing him off.

This discussion is important--you have seen enough to move on--I have not.  If we agreed all the time, this would not be a discussion board, it would be a cult. 

I have yet to say its time to move on, however for as long as he is our qb the limitations will always be there.  I think we both know how this movie ends.   I think by Thanksgiving we will know what we have.  I just pray to Jesus that we dont trot him out there needlessly for a 3rd season on the hopes that he can still turn it around. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, csx said:

Seems the tank afficionados would want to trot him out for a few years to rack up draft picks if he doesn't improve.

Are you new here? When you get some time today take a peek at our drafts the last several years. See if you can hold your lunch.

Tanking is irrelevant if the team can't draft even halfway well. Until proven otherwise that's the center of our issues.

Trading a haul to move all the way to 1 and not taking the best QB is just the cherry on top.

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, frankw said:

Are you new here? When you get some time today take a peek at our drafts the last several years. See if you can hold your lunch.

Tanking is irrelevant if the team can't draft even halfway well. Until proven otherwise that's the center of our issues.

Trading a haul to move all the way to 1 and not taking the best QB is just the cherry on top.

Go for a walk. Take up fishing.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Canales basically said he wants him to be a game manager, and regarding shotgun/pistol, Bryce still takes an additional slow ass 5 steps out of that so he can actually see the field. Also not being under center takes away a lot of run game/play action possibilities which makes everything easier on the opposing defense. It's a major uphill battle just to game plan on offense throwing out I'd imagine 1/3rd of the average playbook any normal sized qb could pull off

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Canales basically said he wants him to be a game manager, and regarding shotgun/pistol, Bryce still takes an additional slow ass 5 steps out of that so he can actually see the field. Also not being under center takes away a lot of run game/play action possibilities which makes everything easier on the opposing defense. It's a major uphill battle just to game plan on offense throwing out I'd imagine 1/3rd of the average playbook any normal sized qb could pull off

No matter how good of a coach DC is or no matter what nfl execs thought of Young, he will always be extremely limited as a nfl qb.  Can he overcome that, maybe but thats going to be a tall hill.  How some huddlers saw this before the draft but somehow the panther brain trust didnt is baffling at best.  Young had like 5 total snaps under center his last year and Stroud had one of the highest rates in the country.  Its insane

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

LOL at asking @csx if he is new. I always have a hoot when someone leads with that, especially to a person who has been here so long. Come on, Frank. Some of us have been here long before the infamous Huddle hack of 2008, and some not too long after.

It's a new day, Frank. Let's see how it goes.

Edited by top dawg

1 hour ago, csx said:

Go for a walk. Take up fishing.

Ah yes everyone but you is consumed by this team to an unhealthy point. Yet here you are in every thread right there with us being a contrarian like always.

25 minutes ago, top dawg said:

LOL at asking @csx if he is new. I always have a hoot when someone leads with that, especially to a person who has been here so long. Come on, Frank. Some of us have been here long before the infamous Huddle hack of 2008, and some not too long after.

It's a new day, Frank. Let's see how it goes.

Get your sarcasm detector serviced.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

Ah yes everyone but you is consumed by this team to an unhealthy point. Yet here you are in every thread right there with us being a contrarian like always.

Get your sarcasm detector serviced.

What I'm saying is that's decidedly lame sarcasm...

16 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I can't recall the last time anyone mentioned the tank concept lol. 

Tanking is a concept that perpetual basement dwelling fanbases talk about because they have no other hope and the draft is their favorite time of the year.

The competitive teams know tanking is a ridiculous concept because the truth is you don't even necessarily need high draft picks to acquire talent that fits your scheme. The better teams in the league are still stacking quality players in the middle and late in the draft while teams like the Panthets are drafting long snappers and leaving olinemen on the board.

We're hoping Dan Morgan is a breath of fresh air but you also can't just wipe the slate clean because he was heavily involved in many of the failed draft picks and acquisitions the last few years.

I have no ill will toward any other panthers fans for navigating this their own way. Nothing wrong with being glass half full. Nothing wrong with being glass half empty either. There's no need for us to police each others reactions though. The Panthers ownership created this mess. That energy should be directed there.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1