• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT thread

MHS831

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'd rather have a solid guy with actual NFL game reps at the position with Bryce still shaky and a new HC/OC and new guards, TE etc. But not my job

In the back of my mind I keep wondering if they are trying (not that I have heard anything) to sign Connor Williams.  I mean, Hunt was his teammate--maybe there is a connection.  Last I heard, Williams was a free agent.  https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/connor-williams/46216

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

In the back of my mind I keep wondering if they are trying (not that I have heard anything) to sign Connor Williams.  I mean, Hunt was his teammate--maybe there is a connection.  Last I heard, Williams was a free agent.  https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/connor-williams/46216

yeah honestly it's fuging stupid we're paying Bozeman $7M to play for another team just hoping Corbett translates and stays healthy at C. Seemed like a bit of a reactionary move for how last season went with such a churn at the guard positions

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I like this coker guy. He might be able to come in and move someone else right off the roster. 

Plus the "Pure Coke" nickname will do major numbers. 

Better than having a staff that just had TMJ standing around, same with TE's, no real competition, no reason not for the players to be complacent in their spots for the past few years

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Please pin this and add to the list as the signings come in later tonight.

Be sure to include the following: Name of the player, position, school, and link to information or video.

Here is the current list as things stand:

QB – Jack Plummer, Louisville

WR – Sam Pinckney, Coastal Carolina

WR – Jalen Coker, Holy Cross

OL – Jeremiah Crawford, Tennessee

OL – Andrew Rahm, Oklahoma

DE – Taylor Upshaw, Arizona

DT – Popo Aumavae, Oregon

LB – Derrick McLendon, Colorado

CB – Willie Drew, Virginia State

CB – DeShawn Gaddie, Ole Miss

S – Demani Richardson, Texas A&M

I’ve watched Sam Pinckney for four years now. Very good chance he makes the practice squad. He isn’t incredibly explosive but man does he have great body control and fluid movement. As a Sun Belt fan, I approve of this pick-up. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Coker will have a great mentor in Theilen.  Theilen was an undrafted rookie as well.

Each year I pick  UDFA that makes the team or PS. Coker is my man in 2024.

Outside of Smitty really liking him I love that he's a great route runner.

He has good hands, and something that is easily lost--this kid is 6' 1" 220.  He gets in position to make contested catches--something he had to do because his QB was not accurate and his timing was off.   That (to me) is what makes him a dawg.

And you are exactly right--I would put him behind Thielen in the slot and let him learn.  I seriously believe that a second WR was a luxury for us because we had so many other needs, but they practically promised him a roster spot (see salary) if he goes undrafted.  This guy will be awesome in 2025 when Thielen is probably gone.  Not only will he earn a roster spot, but he will become a familiar face for some time--based on what I am seeing on the video.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Coker will have a great mentor in Theilen.  Theilen was an undrafted rookie as well.

Each year I pick  UDFA that makes the team or PS. Coker is my man in 2024.

Outside of Smitty really liking him I love that he's a great route runner.

I think Pinkney has a shot too. He’s a bigger body guy who does everything you want someone with his size to do. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

yeah honestly it's fuging stupid we're paying Bozeman $7M to play for another team just hoping Corbett translates and stays healthy at C. Seemed like a bit of a reactionary move for how last season went with such a churn at the guard positions

That was a rags to riches to rags story if I have ever seen one.  He got here and played behind Pat Elflein for a while and then got the starting gig and we loved him. Then last season they had him flanked by 7 different guards on each side of him and he struggled, so they cut him loose.  Musta been more to it than we know.  He would have been a decent backup.  Maybe not a good fit for the new offense?

7 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I think Pinkney has a shot too. He’s a bigger body guy who does everything you want someone with his size to do. 

I wouldn't shock me if the try to convert Pickney to TE.  They keep holding on to these underweight TEs on the PS like Matthew and Pierce.  I think even Sullivan was lite when he first got here and has put on weight since.  Problem being we can't find the complete package.  We either have blocking TEs that aren't proficient pass catchers (Thomas and Tremble) or guys like I previously mentioned that more like tall WRs, but can't block for nothing.

9 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I see it like this:  Can Coker beat out Terrace Marshall Jr?  Can Pinkey beat out Smith-Marsette (since Legette can return kicks) or Jonathan Mingo?

I see Pinkney going to the PS for a season, but he will be pulled up if there is an injury--even if we stay healthy, in 2025, there will probably be two vacancies.  Not sure what Johnson is going to want $$$$, and Thielen will probably be done or cut.  Pinkney could then compete for a job, and with his height, he gives you that Tall red zone WR.   Worth keeping on the PS at the least.

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

That was a rags to riches to rags story if I have ever seen one.  He got here and played behind Pat Elflein for a while and then got the starting gig and we loved him. Then last season they had him flanked by 7 different guards on each side of him and he struggled, so they cut him loose.  Musta been more to it than we know.  He would have been a decent backup.  Maybe not a good fit for the new offense?

He's not a fit for the blocking scheme they want to implement. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

This would be an incredibly smart move if he will take something reasonable for a few years.  If he returns to form he is our C of the future.  Great call out @MHS831