• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers keep making the same mistakes under new GM.

hepcat

4 minutes ago, SOJA said:

fair question and I think the XL selection warrants probably it's own thread but I think they are trying to build a complimentary WR room. I really, really liked Ladd but his skill set somewhat redundant with what we already have. In terms of the future it's harder to find true "x" WRs than it is, slot guys

I agree with what youre saying but Ladd is really only redundant with6 Diontae maybe and hes a fa after this season.   Also I think this true X wr stuff is dated.  Mia had one of the best passing games in the league if not the best and their top wrs are both around 5'10 180 lbs.  

8 minutes ago, SOJA said:

lmao seriously, just look at contract values right now. WR has turned into one of the most important positions in the league 

6 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Corey Lindsey is currently the most expensive center in the NFL at 12.5m per year that would equal the.....

approximately the 27th most expensive WR in the league LMAO

the point here is that you can buy quality center player for next to nothing and get veterans in the process 

but I don’t think people want veterans, I don’t even really think they’re in love with the players

i think a lot of people just love the idea of taking centers, either because they’re an easy to project position that probably has a low bust rate and the thought of a bust terrifies a lot of people, or people just like the idea of drafting a center high because it’s tough and huzzah and build those trenches and that seems most “cool” by having big time pick investment 

4 minutes ago, SOJA said:

fair question and I think the XL selection warrants probably it's own thread but I think they are trying to build a complimentary WR room. I really, really liked Ladd but his skill set somewhat redundant with what we already have. In terms of the future it's harder to find true "x" WRs than it is, slot guys

I agree with what youre saying but Ladd is really only redundant with6 Diontae maybe and hes a fa after this season.   Also I think this true X wr stuff is dated.  Mia had one of the best passing games in the league if not the best and their top wrs are both around 5'10 180 lbs.  

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

My question is why draft legette of all the receivers for a quick passing game?

because that’s likely how he’s going to be utilized early on until he develops his intermediate game 

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

because that’s likely how he’s going to be utilized early on until he develops his intermediate game 

In college he never got quick seperation.  Im not sure I could expect it to happen in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

the point here is that you can buy quality center player for next to nothing and get veterans in the process 

but I don’t think people want veterans, I don’t even really think they’re in love with the players

i think a lot of people just love the idea of taking centers, either because they’re an easy to project position that probably has a low bust rate and the thought of a bust terrifies a lot of people, or people just like the idea of drafting a center high because it’s tough and huzzah and build those trenches and that seems most “cool” by having big time pick investment 

It has nothing to do with bust rate. We watched Ryan Kalil excel at the position until his neck injury. What a good center does for his linemates and QB often goes unrecognized. FA centers are not so easy to get. If it was such an easy thing to do, we wouldn't have been struggling for going on a decade without a solid one. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It has nothing to do with bust rate. We watched Ryan Kalil excel at the position until his neck injury. What a good center does for his linemates and QB often goes unrecognized. FA centers are not so easy to get. If it was such an easy thing to do, we wouldn't have been struggling for going on a decade without a solid one. 

wait you believe the panthers have been bad because of mediocre center play?

seems like you’re making my broader point about overvaluing the impact the position has 

Edited by Growl

This draft went differently than any draft I remember since Hurney was here.  Like an actual team building draft, then fill holes in FA.  Something feels different, and I'm excited about it.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

In college he never got quick seperation.  Im not sure I could expect it to happen in the NFL.

well I haven’t seen the analytics but he sure looked like he was getting separation as South Carolina used him effectively underneath. 

separation means different things at different levels of the field and the closer you are to the line of scrimmage the less difficult it is to do. Canales has already talked about all this but even prior to that it was obvious form his skill set that he was going to be running jets, drags, overs, slants, quick outs. These aren’t master class routes  and most of the time they’re done with run concepts anyways to get the ball out quick and get your best ball carrier moving down field clean.

Leggette has been billed by this board elsewhere as the vertical field stretcher who high points the ball down field and whereas he’s certainly demonstrated that as a tool I don’t think it’s going to be where they work him in as he develops. They’ll throw him the ball down field a few times to keep the defense on their literal toes but I imagine they’ll probably use him more as a weapon nearer to the line of scrimmage earlier while he develops his intermediate game. 

16 minutes ago, Growl said:

wait you believe the panthers have been bad because of mediocre center play?

seems like you’re making my broader point about overvaluing the impact the position has 

It's all part of a collective. Our center play hasn't been mediocre. It's been fuging atrocious. We've watched our centers get run over, turned around, and be completely inept for years. We now have a center coming off 2 knee injuries and backups that have never played center at the NFL level . 

Our receiver play has been piss poor despite investing 2 2nd round draft picks into the position in the past 3 years, spending on free agents.

Investing one 2nd round pick to solidify a position for a decade is a good move and it's something dominant teams constantly invest in. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly