• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another reason to root for UDFA Jalan Coker

15 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

I'm rooting for him because the WR still feels incomplete to me.  It's a combination of our slot guys not having either speed or the short area quickness to beat better NBs and break big plays, and also not really having resolution at flanker.

I was going to say something similar. I don’t need his Dad as extra motivation to make the 53. I hope he does just because we have some serious poo at the bottom of our WR group. Johnson, Thielin and Legette are the only guarantees. Mingo in his 2nd year is a lock as well but he can be beat out. The rest wouldn’t make other teams.

Honestly, as an UDFA, Carolina is my top choice almost regardless of position. Backup depth is needed everywhere and  there are a few starting spots that are manned by short term vets.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This is hilarious. Coker has basically zero NFL traits. He's extremely slow on breaking routes. No route nuance at all. He looked marginally okay playing against CB's who compared to NFL CB's couldn't cover a bed with a blanket. The only wins you see watching him is blown coverages and him winning against tiny, undersized glorified high school level CB's with a good majority him commiting OPI that would be called routinely in the NFL. 

There were 30-40 better targets for an UDFA contract. But the awesome Panthers scouting department poops the bed again. 

• Poo 2

23 minutes ago, Sniffrey said:

This is hilarious. Coker has basically zero NFL traits. He's extremely slow on breaking routes. No route nuance at all. He looked marginally okay playing against CB's who compared to NFL CB's couldn't cover a bed with a blanket. The only wins you see watching him is blown coverages and him winning against tiny, undersized glorified high school level CB's with a good majority him commiting OPI that would be called routinely in the NFL. 

There were 30-40 better targets for an UDFA contract. But the awesome Panthers scouting department poops the bed again. 

GHsh72wXsAA1FuS.jpg.88f9931ac244d423ccce5e223ae9e339.jpg

image.thumb.png.1382ec38b16960947430c10224e26a6c.png

Fast 10 yard split (#4 in the class)

Huge Verticle (#1 in the class)

Great Broad Jump (#9 in the class)

Good hand size and arm length.

Dude isn't a burner but he's explosive.

None of those are NFL traits though.

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

GHsh72wXsAA1FuS.jpg.88f9931ac244d423ccce5e223ae9e339.jpg

image.thumb.png.1382ec38b16960947430c10224e26a6c.png

Fast 10 yard split (#4 in the class)

Huge Verticle (#1 in the class)

Great Broad Jump (#9 in the class)

Good hand size and arm length.

Dude isn't a burner but he's explosive.

None of those are NFL traits though.

Actually you are right. Those are athletic traits. NFL traits for a WR is how well they can stem routes and create separation, how quickly they can change direction, how fluid their hips are while breaking a route, is there any twitch or ability to influence a DB at the top of a route. He does those things very poorly.

Technically he does have that one NFL trait, he can bully tiny undersized CB's with a combination of Offensive Pass Interference and their total lack of ball skills. 

• Poo 1

6 minutes ago, Sniffrey said:

Actually you are right. Those are athletic traits. NFL traits for a WR is how well they can stem routes and create separation, how quickly they can change direction, how fluid their hips are while breaking a route, is there any twitch or ability to influence a DB at the top of a route. He does those things very poorly.

Technically he does have that one NFL trait, he can bully tiny undersized CB's with a combination of Offensive Pass Interference and their total lack of ball skills. 

Route running is his biggest strength…

literally the first thing brought up about his game.

• Pie 1

Per NFL Website

Jalen Coker Bio

• 2020-21: Tied for the team lead with 72 receiving yards (4 receptions, 18.0 per, TD). Played in 3 games with 2 starts in the team's spring season. School did not play in the fall due to COVID-19 concerns.
  • 2021: Second-team All-Patriot League. Led the team with 51 receptions, 691 receiving yards (13.5 per, 4 TDs). Started all 13 games.
  • 2022: First-team All-Patriot League. Led the team with 50 receptions, 912 receiving yards (18.2 per), 11 TDs. Played in 12 games with 11 starts. 
  • 2023: First-team Associated Press FCS All-American. First-team All-Patriot League. Finalist for the Walter Payton Award (top player in the FCS). Led the FCS with 15 receiving TDs (59 receptions for 1,040 yards, 17.6 per). Started all 11 games (2-3-1.5 rushing; 11-47-4.3 PR). Set school record with 31 career receiving TDs, 2,715 receiving yards

Overview

The evaluation for Coker boils down to balancing his pro-caliber size and ball skills against his level of competition and potential lack of NFL quickness and speed. His focus, ball-tracking and timing give him distinct advantages that other receivers lack, and his catch radius and hand strength helped him make mincemeat of Ivy League coverages near the goal line. Coker's deep speed appears to be average, so he will need to refine his route running to become better equipped to beat NFL defenders in space and open up workable windows for his quarterback. Coker is talented and productive, but the testing numbers will be huge for his draft slotting and chances in the league.

Strengths

• Instinctive hand fighting in his release and at top of the route.
  • Possesses robust ball skills across the board to win downfield.
  • Fade monster with size, adjustments and sticky hands to dominate.
  • Works back to the throw and is keenly aware of the sticks.
  • Leverage and footwork for crisp cut-and-flatten on routes underneath.

Weaknesses

• Must prove he can get off the line against NFL size and strength.
  • Monotonous route speed is unlikely to tilt pro coverage.
  • Displays small gear-down when stemming the route.
  • Needs to clean up the wasted motion getting into his breaks.
  • Below-average quickness with his run after catch.

Just now, La Pantera said:

Route running is his biggest strength…

literally the first thing brought up about his game.

Jalen Coker? Played at Holy Cross? Is there another Jalen Coker?

I'm not going to waste any more time on an UDFA, but the very first scouting report I went to confirms  what I saw on tape:

• Must prove he can get off the line against NFL size and strength.
  • Monotonous route speed is unlikely to tilt pro coverage.
  • Displays small gear-down when stemming the route.
  • Needs to clean up the wasted motion getting into his breaks.

It's not his biggest strength, it's literally his biggest weakness. 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Imagine. Johnson on one side Coker the other, Theilen in the slot and Sanders at TE. You can double team the all. Johnson and Coker running precise routes.

All of the are dangerous because they are sure handed.

Could be a fun year.

So Legette is so bad than an UDFA is starting over him?

• Beer 1