• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers run ONE play on repeat

43 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That type of football is not sustainable in the modern nfl

Still, I enjoyed its meager rewards compared to the reality of 2023, I promise you that. Better than Baker’s first two games that year too. And the year before and the year....

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Well he's not as strong as the other guys drafted in his draft but has not as weak as being let on. I think the difference in his velocity compared to his piers in the draft was only a couple of mph. Nothing earth shattering to say the least. 

He didn't even throw at the combine so his velocity isn't technically on record. He didn't want to throw next to Stroud/AR/Levis who all threw around 60mph

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

When they measure velocity they base it on an average of 3 throws, I think, could be 5. Each qb decides how he throws it. It's not taken from passes in a game. So basing on an "eye test" takes out bias. It's measured by a radar gun in a controlled environment. 

I'm pretty sure CJ Stroud throws with SIGNIFICANTLY more velocity in non ideal scenarios on a football field than Bryce Young.  Some stats decieve.  It's like the track kid that runs a 4.2 and the 4.4 guy who is noteworthy faster while playing actual football. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He didn't even throw at the combine so his velocity isn't technically on record. He didn't want to throw next to Stroud/AR/Levis who all threw around 60mph

Their velocity isn't measured during the televised throwing period.  It's done separately somewhere else. The posted velocity is the official combine measurement. Argue with them.

Edited by Jon Snow

50 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm pretty sure CJ Stroud throws with SIGNIFICANTLY more velocity in non ideal scenarios on a football field than Bryce Young.  Some stats decieve.  It's like the track kid that runs a 4.2 and the 4.4 guy who is noteworthy faster while playing actual football. 

I'm not arguing any of that. All I know is what was posted for their measured ball velocity in a controlled environment. 

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Their velocity isn't measured during the televised throwing period.  It's done separately somewhere else. The posted velocity is the official combine measurement. Argue with them.

say what681693134_ScreenShot2024-05-13at3_04_48PM.thumb.png.1a155389181fe349fa7853d0e547b60e.png

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

say what681693134_ScreenShot2024-05-13at3_04_48PM.thumb.png.1a155389181fe349fa7853d0e547b60e.png

Did you see that on the broadcast? They showed a brief snippet and posted the speeds. Like I said, Youngs wasn't much slower. If I remember correctly it was 52, 53 or more. I didn't lose sleep over it.

Edited by Jon Snow

The leaving his hand velocity, is that what we are looking at? I mean it isn’t hitting the target at the velocity it leaves the hand. Which is what I see, is lots of wobbly at the end, just don’t drive it home with that authority. 

If y’all see something else, well we are all going to be treated to the truth in a few months. 

And I’m not denying he could win some games and move the offense, with everything set up for HIM. But I have so little faith in that plan long term. 

9 minutes ago, strato said:

The leaving his hand velocity, is that what we are looking at? I mean it isn’t hitting the target at the velocity it leaves the hand. Which is what I see, is lots of wobbly at the end, just don’t drive it home with that authority. 

If y’all see something else, well we are all going to be treated to the truth in a few months. 

And I’m not denying he could win some games and move the offense, with everything set up for HIM. But I have so little faith in that plan long term. 

Every team builds an offense to best fit its players. You don't think that CJ had an offense designed to suit his strengths? Regardless of what you think of Young he's not being treated any different than any other rookie qb. Well except for last season. I do not know what the hell Frank was doing but he sure wasn't helping his rookie qb. 

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Every team builds an offense to best fit its players. You don't think that CJ had an offense designed to suit his strengths? Regardless of what you think of Young he's not being treated any different than any other rookie qb. Well except for last season. I do not know what the hell Frank was doing but he sure wasn't helping his rookie qb. 

I don’t know that they didn’t draft CJ because he could run the offense they wanted to run. And sure they are gonna do what they can to accommodate his tendencies and preferences.

I don’t know what to say about why someone would take Bryce Young and not think they would need to make some pretty large concessions to his skill set.

Canales better design his playbook around this QB, otherwise no one has a chance. I am really curious to see the approach and how the downfield game is integrated into Young’s book.  

On 5/11/2024 at 7:10 PM, rayzor said:

BY didn't get Reich fired. Reich got himself fired by being way in over his head and being the head coach of a coaching staff who did nothing to help him out.

Of course they were all sold on the idea that BY was pro ready out of the gate by Fitt so they felt he didn't need to be developed (like every rookie should be).

They had no clear vision. And no solid plan in place, nothing worked, and the coaching staff was too busy playing hunger games to be coaching so they panicked and did the same thing over and over.

It was a complete clusterfug that we had a rookie QB who needed help thrown into the middle of.

good summary. Further we had a rookie QB who needed a strong system around him to succeed. He is not a Cam or Anthony Richardson type player that could make things happen with his legs when the offense was a clusterfug

Just now, strato said:

I don’t know that they didn’t draft CJ because he could run the offense they wanted to run. And sure they are gonna do what they can to accommodate his tendencies and preferences.

I don’t know what to say about why someone would take Bryce Young and not think they would need to make some pretty large concessions to his skill set.

Canales better design his playbook around this QB, otherwise no one has a chance. I am really curious to see the approach and how the downfield game is integrated into Young’s book.  

Frank chose him out of all of his options. His reasoning was for a point guard or the short passing attack style of offense. He only wanted to play at a short to mid level attack. Why? He said that he wanted to keep Young in the "neighborhood" and not out there on the highway. I took that to mean he was limiting the plays. He also didn't want to work on fundamental issues with his qb. What the hell is that all about? He knew what he was working with and made his choices as to how to develop him. If he wanted a more open passing game he should have implemented it and worked on Youngs timing and footwork.  Frank obviously didn't. Frank was a fossil and should have never been the one hired to develop a rookie, whether it was Young or someone else. 

3 hours ago, strato said:

Still, I enjoyed its meager rewards compared to the reality of 2023, I promise you that. Better than Baker’s first two games that year too. And the year before and the year....

I didn’t. Those “meager rewards” had us winning meaningless games at the end of the year.

I rather go 0-17 than 7-10 playing that style of football with Bryce. We’d be right back in the same position. Drafting 8-10 range needing a QB

If Bryce is THAT bad that we have to resort to playing that style then they’re better off letting Bryce drop back and lead us to our next bust at QB

• Beer 1