• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

95% chance one of these things will happen.

unicar15

No one beleives we will be picking very high, but fact of the matter is...you never know.

A quality team over the long-term never mortages their future for the present. Look at the Redskins who mortgage their future every year! To be good long-term, a team needs to draft well & not give up picks. What happens when we move up & it's a bust? I really hope Everette Brown pans out, but if not, we are missing the opportunity to draft a very talented player b/c of the 'need' trade up (when they thought Peppers would not be back last year & knowing he wouldn't for sure this year).

The trade worked out with Otah, but that is not always the way things turn out.

what if the first round pick is a bust? just ends up being a more expensive version.

plus...we didn't just get brown in that trade, we got goodson. still a lot of potential there with a year under his belt.

redskins have never been smart with the way they mortgage the future. they throw money and picks at the shiniest toys they can find only to have it blow up in their face when they realize that all that toy wanted was that big contract and now that they ahve it don't have to do anything. they always went after the most overrated pieces of crap (with the exception of portis) and gave them waaayy too much money.

what if the first round pick is a bust? just ends up being a more expensive version.

Not really. To move up into the 1st, we will have to give up next years #1, plus a 2nd Rounder (or 3rd + 4th) this year, at best.

We would be losing out on those picks as well, not just getting a more expensive version. No one will trade a 1st Rd pick for nothing, so the cost is the extra draft picks given up.

IMO, we are not a complete enough team to give up any picks. As you know, we need: WR, DT, DE, OL, OLB, SS, CB, QB help at a minimum. We've released players that were moderately productive d/t cap reasons, so we need players to fill those roles. Therefore, I do not feel giving up picks is the best way to go.

As much as I would love to see Marshall lined up beside Smitty, ain't gonna happen. If anything, Fox/Hurney will have their guy(s) picked out and will probably move up or down in the 2nd depending on how the boards look. This is a deep draft at WR. We will draft two. One will be from USC.

Which is to say, the first pick for the Carolina Panthers this year will be USC WR Damien Williams in the 2nd. Very smart route runner, quick feet, great hands, and very shifty and quick off the line. He will add some speed to the slot.

Not really. To move up into the 1st, we will have to give up next years #1, plus a 2nd Rounder (or 3rd + 4th) this year, at best.

We would be losing out on those picks as well, not just getting a more expensive version. No one will trade a 1st Rd pick for nothing, so the cost is the extra draft picks given up.

IMO, we are not a complete enough team to give up any picks. As you know, we need: WR, DT, DE, OL, OLB, SS, CB, QB help at a minimum. We've released players that were moderately productive d/t cap reasons, so we need players to fill those roles. Therefore, I do not feel giving up picks is the best way to go.

QB - was addition by subtraction all we need is a backup/depth.

OL - We have a great OL all we need is depth, and we've hit in the very late rounds many times. Magazu is really looking to be one of the best coaches in the league, we'll just get some late round diamonds and polish them up.

CB - As long as Marshall stays all we need is depth. Replacing Dante Wesley will not be a huge task.

SS - Again, all we need is depth. I think we only go 4 deep at saftey so it's not a huge need as we already have 3 very capable ones.

OLB - I'm little nervous about Connor starting. But Fox/Hurney's comments are encouraging so I think we'll be fine there. We have much more pressing needs. So all we need again is depth.

DT - we cut two old guys who were losing their edge. Everybody coming in has fresh legs. Again with Fox/Hurney's comments I think they're pretty confident in the guys we have.

DE - lost a superstar so this is big need.

WR - lost what little consistency we had with Moose's departure so this is big need.

We have two big needs. I think that trading up would almost be better than staying put. With the depth and talent we have everywhere else we can afford to fill those holes with later draft picks and FA's. Keep in mind the guys we cut we're all low profile signings and many were scraps we picked up right before TC. We'll do the same thing again. I would rather try hard to get two impact players at DE/WR. The guys we have on the roster right now are our future so we aren't going to be looking for many impact players other than at DE/WR. Those are the only needs than Hurney/Fox have really spoke up about.

this is a deep draft, lets spend 2-3 picks smartly on wide outs and i bet we'll be set for a long time, we might even get the next marques colston. people keep saying that without a first we can't get a guy who won't contribute. i dont know if you people remember, but our very own steve smith was a third round pick, and analysts across the board guaranteed he wouldn't be more then a special teamer/return man... the only thing those analysts have ever been more wrong about would be reggie bush hahahaa.

Hurney is unpredictable if nothing else. So it is hard to say with any certainty what we will do or not do. We can discuss what we would do and little lese.

I don't know why we would have to trade up to pick up a receiver. There should be plenty of guys who will be available in the middle rounds. I can't say with any certainty that he won't trade up if he thinks the right guy is there and we want him at all costs like we did with Otah and Brown. I also have no idea how important they are believing the 2011 picks are at this point in order to give up next year's 1st or 2nd rounder. If Hurney hasn't signed his extension waiting for Fox's fate he might be willing to increase the likelihood that Fox does well by giving away next year's draft and stocking up as many players as possible.

Personally I hope they stop trading future draft picks given we are getting the short end of the stick every time we do it. I would like us to stay where we are or actually trade down for more picks. I see lots of depth and few players that are so great that they demand a trade up particularly where we can afford to reach at this point. If we only needed one or two players I could see us moving up for them. But with as many holes as we have particularly beyond the starters, we need quantity more so than quality.

I remember having the same sort of conversation the year we picked Jarrett. Lets think about the receivers that this regime has taken after the first round. Other than Smitty we have Jarrett, Colbert and Carter. I mean...not exactly a lot of hits there. There is a reason that some of these guys are projected 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders. Its because THEY AREN'T AS GOOD. I'm sick of picking guys and them having 20 catches for 150 yards on the season. Its just as joke...get someone that is legit or make a trade. They need to stop thinking they can just get value picks like we did with Steve Smith. It doesn't work that way...he is the exception, not the rule.

I remember having the same sort of conversation the year we picked Jarrett. Lets think about the receivers that this regime has taken after the first round. Other than Smitty we have Jarrett, Colbert and Carter. I mean...not exactly a lot of hits there. There is a reason that some of these guys are projected 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders. Its because THEY AREN'T AS GOOD. I'm sick of picking guys and them having 20 catches for 150 yards on the season. Its just as joke...get someone that is legit or make a trade. They need to stop thinking they can just get value picks like we did with Steve Smith. It doesn't work that way...he is the exception, not the rule.

While our track record is pretty poor picking receivers, there are many teams that have found gems in the middle and lower rounds. I don't know that the problem is that we have to trade up to pick a first rounder so much as we need to do a much better job of finding guys who can play who are there in the second and third round. After all if I have a choice to pick up a quarterback who has dropped into the second, I would probably go there depending on who it was and still look for receiver help in the 3rd.

But it depends on who will be there when it gets to us or what we will give up or receive to move up or move down. I doubt we try and trade up into the first, more likey move up to the top of the second.

There is no way in hell we'll trade up for a wide receiver, unless it's a few spots to take someone who unexpectedly fell into the top of the second.

There is no way in hell we'll make a trade to get into the top ten, under any circumstances. That would cost far too much in terms of future picks, and could potentially do the sort of damage the Sean Gilbert trade did.

There is no way in hell the Broncos drop Marshall for this year's second round pick. They would require a player as well, and we don't have one worth giving up for what they need. The Panthers don't make trades for high profile players. They haven't since the Gilbert trade.

Just my 2p

Archived