• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers DE Johnson looks for breakout season

scpanther22

lol..We could have moved him to DT..

“I hope so, I’m really hoping so,” Johnson said with a laugh when asked if this can be breakout season. “I feel good about this season. I’m feeling really good.”

Johnson’s dropped 14 pounds, going from 292 to 278.

It wasn’t intentional, nor was he asked to lose weight by the coaching staff. It simply happened. But he’s glad he did.

“I definitely feel quicker. I definitely feel more agile,” Johnson said.

Then, he laughed and said, “I’m feeling like more of an athlete now.”

http://www.carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=495:panthers-de-johnson-looks-for-breakout-season&catid=1:articles

I expect him to start as well. I never realized he was that big. He could move inside with Brayton on third and long and we could have Hardy and Brown rush the outside with Norwood blitzing from linebacker. The thought makes me smile.

That would be great pass rush.Hardy at LE.Brown at RE and Johnson at DT.

Johnson is the strongest player on the team. I expect an 8 sacks performance this season.

You do realize that Tank Tyler is on the team, right? Not to take away from CJ, but I doubt he's anywhere near as strong as Tank, who's 6 ft 2 and 306lbs and had 42 bench reps at the combine in '07.

Nontheless, I'd say he's already had his breakout season. In 2008, he recorded 6.5 sacks in the league and was tied 10th in the league in quarterback pressures despite not being involved in many snaps. In fact, that season, he was 46th out of all defensive ends in the league in snaps. Not too bad. I think now getting more time to rush this passer this season, he could potentially reach around 10-14 sacks.

You do realize that Tank Tyler is on the team, right? Not to take away from CJ, but I doubt he's anywhere near as strong as Tank, who's 6 ft 2 and 306lbs and had 42 bench reps at the combine in '07.

One of the trainers said that Johnson was the strongest player on the team, but this was prior to the Tyler signing. Who knows?

I agree with you, though, that I could see Johnson getting 10 sacks this year. I know everyone's excited about Brown, and I am, too, but I really think Johnson is going to impress this year.

Granted, I was saying this last year, and the year prior.

I've liked Charles Johnson playing style since the moment we drafted him and I think he can be a stud and have a breakout season......in a contract year nonetheless.

I've always thought Johnson should have played more from his rookie year on. This was one of those instances were I blamed Fox for being stubborn and not playing rookies while sticking with the aged Mike Rucker. Yeah, Johnson just said he was inconsistent, but he probably just got down knowing he wasn't going to get in because Fox favored the older player.

Archived