• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Gamble

NJPanthers12

we all know the joke about corners having bad hands but Gamble has bad hands for a corner also. I have always thought Gamble plays the short stuff well and plays the run well.....ask Gamble to drop back and he has always gotten turned around a bit too often.

I actually think his hands are pretty good, he's just lost his knack for getting the INTS. He's a former WR so he's hands can't be that bad.

I actually think his hands are pretty good, he's just lost his knack for getting the INTS. He's a former WR so he's hands can't be that bad.

Gamble doesn't just drops INTs....he drops easy ones. Not sure why you think he has good hands.

I feel that Gamble is above average and very consistent. Consistency is very hard to find in this league and he's shown that throughout most of his career. Im glad we locked him up long term. I think becuase he's not very vocal or animated that he is sometimes forgotten or underrated. I'm a gamble fan and was happy we drafted him and its turned out well for both sides. But, shut down corner is def an overstatement in his case...but those are very very hard to find.

Agree with this. And fwiw, if by shutdown corner, one means a corner who can consistently shut down top flight nfl receivers on his own, then there are none. Even the guy in Oakland needs help.

Gamble doesn't just drops INTs....he drops easy ones. Not sure why you think he has good hands.

Those 13 INTs in his first two years were pretty good. It just seems like he's not focusing enough. When a QB throws a poor pass he looks shocked, he needs to expect it and want it.

Not a great corner against the pass. He has actually developed as a good corner against the run. Still lets almost 70% of the passes through his way to be caught.

Here is his rating on profootballfocus.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Here is his rating by the week:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?tab=by_player&season=2009&page=&surn=G&playerid=1749

Of course, if you look at the Qb ratings these guys give, Delhomme was better than Moore.. by a little bit.

Gamble isn't shut down yet. Only Revis, Nnamdi and Woodson really deserve that label right now. But Gamble is probably a top ten corner, he does very well for us and is a legit #1 corner. It's not often you see Gamble beat for a big play.

Of course, if you look at the Qb ratings these guys give, Delhomme was better than Moore.. by a little bit.

They point out themselves that the overall rating is less precise because it counts everything equally and in a corner for example playing man coverage you want someone great against the pass. His run coverage will be lower because he plays in a man scheme. Still the numbers give you some comparisons and analysis to view. I like to click certain categories and line them up that way instead of overall ranking which does seem more arbitrary and they pretty much admit to that. Like the stat I referenced, the number of balls that he allowed caught in his area and YAC (yards after the catch) seems to be pretty good comparisons for corners.

As for Moore and Jake really the best stat overall is the passer rating which wasn't close. Moore also got ranked pretty low because he only played 5 games. This year will be a better test.

He broke his Hand in 07. So the effects might linger. 04/05 were good years for him. 06 he lost his confidence cuz of the Minny game. 07 he Broke his hand against GB i think. 08 He started getting back on track but we played less aggressive coverage than in 04/05. 09 was a scheme change, if you notice a lot of his interceptions are from being in underneath coverage and sort of baiting the QB into throwing it. He's had some good defenses off that.

He's an alright corner. Would look better with a better pass rush.

the only reason why he played well is cause our line wasnt paper thin like it is now, we actually had tackles that could stop the run by themselves

Yeah, that's the only reason he's been a solid CB his entire NFL career. :rolleyes:

Not saying it didn't help him, but to suggest that's the only reason he's had success is just plain ludicrous. And in defense of our D-Line (I know, I know...), we haven't seen them play as a unit, nor have we seen Louis and Tyler healthy for an extended period of time.

Archived